Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Getting New Computer - need a little help

F34rTheV3n0m

I currently play on a laptop because it is better than my good for nothing desktop. I decided to use cyberpowerpc to get a good gaming computer.

I am getting a CoolerMaster case with a maximum of 7 fans and their own thermal solution for helping with temperature. 6 out of 7 fans are 120mm and the last one is a 200m fan in the front.

Here is a list of full specs: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DA503

OR

Click "Show" to read full specs in this thread:

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window [-10]

Internal USB Extension Module: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]

Neon Light Upgrade: None

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]

Noise Reduction Technology: None

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [-36]

Freebies: None

Cooling Fan: XtremeGear Ultra Triple Heatpipes Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [-11]

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M V2 AM3 DDR3 NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a Chipset mATX w/ Onboard Graphics and Core Unlocker, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB 2.0, SATA-II RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [-45]

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+37] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Video Card 2: None

Video Card 3: None

Dedicated PHYSX Card: None

Free Game: FREE! (Stormrise) Game

Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+10]

Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (Single Hard Drive)

Data Hard Drive: None

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None

USB Flash Drive: None

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

3D Vision Glasses: None

LCD Monitor: None

2nd Monitor: None

3rd Monitor: None

Speakers: None [-5]

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Network Switch: None

Keyboard: None [-4]

Mouse: None [-3]

Mouse Pad: None

Gaming Gear: None

Extra Thermal Display: Thermal Temperature Color LCD Display [+15] (Black Color)

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None

External Wireless Network Card: None

Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None

Bluetooth: None

Flash Media Reader/Writer: None

Video Camera: None

Headset: None

Printer: None

Cable: None

Power Protection: None

Surge Protector: None

IEEE1394 Card: None

USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None

Office Suite: None

Games: None

Ultra Care Option: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]

Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

My problems/dilemmas/concerns are:

1. How hot will this PC run (not idle)?

2. Will I need a better power supply since I will have 7 fans and a nice GFX card?

3. Can I upgrade to the AMD 6 core CPU with my current selections of cooling. (7 fans and heatsink)

4. Is the heatsink I selected sufficient enough for CPU cooling?

5. Should I get a fan control/thermometer added to the case?

6. Should I get the professional wiring to maximize airflow?

7. Should I get the special thermal compound to reduce heat generated by CPU?

8. Any other suggestions/advice/knowledge on any part you see will be greatly appreciated. (Motherboard, GPU, RAM, Heatsink, PSU, CPU, even case).

There currently is no budget, but I would like to stay under $900 to $1k.

Going to try to answer: xD

1. How hot will this PC run (not idle)?

Anywhere between 50 oC to 70 oC [could be higher if your workload is pushing towards 100%).

It strictly depends on the work load and your cooling system.

My Intel setup starts at about 50~60 but floats only 70~80 under typical loads.

2. Will I need a better power supply since I will have 7 fans and a nice GFX card?

Not necessarily. Personal experience, a 700 W power supply (with decent rails) can do most setups. Maybe not an 980x setup.. but since you're with AMD, no worries.

I have an Intel i7-950 with a GTX580 and it pushes about 250-300 W idle and about 400 W (max, load)

3. Can I upgrade to the AMD 6 core CPU with my current selections of cooling. (7 fans and heatsink)

You have an AM3 mobo, so technically yes! Make sure your BIOS supports it (you can check that on the manufactorer's site)

Umm, the heatsink should be fine (As most are, unless you are planning to overclock heavy)

4. Is the heatsink I selected sufficient enough for CPU cooling?

If you have 7 fans plus a decent heatsink, by all means! Looks good

5. Should I get a fan control/thermometer added to the case?

Up to you at this point. I've been using software monitors (like HWMonitor or SpeedFan) It works fine with me.

6. Should I get the professional wiring to maximize airflow?

You can if you want, it might benefit you.

I've done this myself and generally speaking I would say, if you're willing to may the $ amount.. then sure. It just depends on who does it.

7. Should I get the special thermal compound to reduce heat generated by CPU?

You can as well if you want. Recommended but not required I'd say.

General most stock thermal compounds work fine unless you plan to overclock or if you want to ensure good thermal conductivity.

I have a tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique and I don't think I needed it but once again, this is your preference strictly. (Better conductivity is good but not always worth the cost esp. if you don't plan to overclock)

I used to have another Intel build I messed around with a lot and I found it helped to have a good thermal paste. (Overclocking....)

8. Any other suggestions/advice/knowledge on any part you see will be greatly appreciated. (Motherboard, GPU, RAM, Heatsink, PSU, CPU, even case).

Airflow of the case is most important. If you're doing it yourself, check out how your air flows in your case and how it interacts with the room. If you can take it to a shop that is reputable, get them to do it.

RAM, isn't an important factor as much in terms of speed unless you plan to overclock or have immensive loads to deal with.

I'd say if it's a Corsair branded RAM good for it. Most DDR3-12800 are rated CL-9. (some are better) Personal opinion I'd say for you.

1. Your estimates is based off of standard fans and heatsink? Like 2 fans or something? I heard/read 50 oC is kinda hot for a pc.

2. Is it damaging to my computer if I get a PSU larger than needed? Like, could it produce too many Watts and fry my mobo?

3. You mean the BIOS on the motherboard? (I think that question made me a little dumber)

And since I'm using cyberpowerpc, wouldn't they tell me if a certain mobo is uncompatible for a certain CPU?

5. I heard/read that using third party software for temps can be mis leading.

7. I don't plan on OCing because I have zero knowledge of it and don't see why I need to OC with a computer as good as this lol.

Little bit off topic: When I boot up my laptop, my memory usage is instantly above 50%. I don't think that is normal, if it is please if possbiel can you explain why?

Thanks Enigma! My main concern is the cooling of my system.

First and foremost, you're missing #'s 4 and 6. Now, I'm going to answer these questions, and I'm sure that Enigma is going to reply to these too, so, here's my take.

1. Your estimates is based off of standard fans and heatsink? Like 2 fans or something? I heard/read 50 oC is kinda hot for a pc.

50 degrees celcius at load temperature should be fine. For me, I start worrying when my CPU gets above 60 degrees celcius, mostly because I run a water cooling kit. When gaming, depending on your CPU and how much work it has to do, it usually doesn't get up to 100% activity, so you should be fine.

2. Is it damaging to my computer if I get a PSU larger than needed? Like, could it produce too many Watts and fry my mobo?

No, it is not damaging. Your system should only pull the amount of electricity that it needs. A PSU with not enough watts is a different story, but 700 watts is good.

3. You mean the BIOS on the motherboard? (I think that question made me a little dumber)

And since I'm using cyberpowerpc, wouldn't they tell me if a certain mobo is uncompatible for a certain CPU?

BIOS, first of all, stands for Basic Input/Output System, and "the primary function of the BIOS is to set up the hardware and load and start an operating system," as quoted from Wikipedia. Yes, CyberpowerPC should only list the CPU's that can be used with the motherboard.

5. I heard/read that using third party software for temps can be mis leading.

Software temperature readers are fine, but they're not as accurate as a physical temperature reader, but they do the trick.

7. I don't plan on OCing because I have zero knowledge of it and don't see why I need to OC with a computer as good as this lol.

That's fine. You probably won't need to overclock it anyways.

Little bit off topic: When I boot up my laptop, my memory usage is instantly above 50%. I don't think that is normal, if it is please if possbiel can you explain why?

My guess is maybe the amount of start-up programs or processes you have. Try running in safe mode and telling us what the percent of memory usage is.

1. How hot will this PC run (not idle)? 40-60

2. Will I need a better power supply since I will have 7 fans and a nice GFX card? Buy a kilowatt PSU in case you'd like to upgrade later on.

3. Can I upgrade to the AMD 6 core CPU with my current selections of cooling. (7 fans and heatsink) Yes, but you will need a new motherboard.

4. Is the heatsink I selected sufficient enough for CPU cooling? As long as you correctly apply the thermal paste.

5. Should I get a fan control/thermometer added to the case? It helps but you can always choose in BIOS to set an alarm and auto shut down.

6. Should I get the professional wiring to maximize airflow? Most if not all current cases have holes on the back panel, allowing you to wire everything on the other side.

7. Should I get the special thermal compound to reduce heat generated by CPU? Arctic Silver 7 is by far the best.

8. Any other suggestions/advice/knowledge on any part you see will be greatly appreciated. (Motherboard, GPU, RAM, Heatsink, PSU, CPU, even case). DON'T FUCKING BEND THE PINS WHEN INSTALLING YOUR PROC.

Thanks Plaayer and Crosshair!!

@Crosshair - the computer is going to be pre built and delivered to me with cyberpowerpc, I wont be bending the pins and won't be applying my thermal paste xD, and that setting in the BIOS is something I think everyone should know lol thanks

I did a little more research, the BIOS of the mobo I have picked out does support AMD's 6 core. I did some research on AMD Phenom II x4's vs x6's. The x6's have the new Turbo Boost tech which I kind of understand. My two options for CPU are the AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology (which is 2.8Ghz/125W/3mb L2 Cache/ 6mb L3 Cache) and the AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology (3.4Ghz/125W/2mb L2 Cache/6mb L3 Cache). I have no idea whether 6 cores @ 2.8Ghz with more L2 Cache is better than a 4 core @ 3.4Ghz with less L2 Cache.

For the PSU - I upgraded to a 850W CoolerMaster Silent Pro, I didn't go kilowatt because that almost an extra $100 for something I may not use If I was to upgrade I would do crossfireX with a 2nd radeon 6870.

Damn 7 fans! Like a boss! One important thing to keep in mind with computer fans, make sure you arrange them so that there is a clear air intake point and air exhaust point so air flows through the machine. You don't want all the fans blowing in or all of them blowing out.

One thing that works pretty well (depending on what kind of case)

Multiple air intake fans in front

Air intake fan on bottom of case

Air exhaust back of case

Air exhaust top of case

Professional wiring? Bro, just buy some zip-ties.