Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Recommended RAM

Phate

I would like to hear some recommendations on how much ddr3 ram I should need for a DIY tower that will run a 24/7 MC server for my school friends(and hg), run one source game, hldj, Teamspeak, and web browsers. All at once.

I would go 8. You can get 2 sticks of 4gb DDR3 1600 for pretty cheap nowadays. Sometimes Newegg has some good deals on em.

Just make sure you have a 64 bit OS for the computer otherwise it won't recognize more than 3gb.

I don't think RAM would be your issue necessarily. Whether you'd have enough upload throughput to do it is another question.

I'd say based on your requirements (which are pretty lean actually), 8 GB would be good. You could probably get away with four but performance may suffer.

thank you, my motherboard will support up to 32 gigs of ddr3

But of course I cant afford that

Those are my parts, I am getting a good deal for windows 7

any comments?

post-7593-13525954494404_thumb.jpg

post-7593-13525954494626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4612[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4613[/ATTACH]

any comments?

For the love of god, don't get a sandybridge intel. $200? I am planning on getting a AMD, just because not every computer brand uses it, doesn't mean it's bad.

This has better with 3.4 GHz, and for $70 less, it is worth it and it's a quad core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

That's also a expensive ass mobo. Try this combo pack. It's what I plan on getting. It includes the same CPU, and a compatible mobo. If you do this instead of what you have now, you'll probably save like $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.661996

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4612[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4613[/ATTACH]

any comments?

Just like I said before, make sure your Windows 7 is the 64 bit version and not 32 bit.

sucks for me is that i can only go 6 or 12 gb. stupid triple channel mobo.

Oh man.. who said you couldn't do two sticks or single channel?...

If you choose to go with 3 RAM sticks, it does get optimised whereas two or one doesn't...

For the love of god, don't get a sandybridge intel. $200? I am planning on getting a AMD, just because not every computer brand uses it, doesn't mean it's bad.

This has better with 3.4 GHz, and for $70 less, it is worth it and it's a quad core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

That's also a expensive ass mobo. Try this combo pack. It's what I plan on getting. It includes the same CPU, and a compatible mobo. If you do this instead of what you have now, you'll probably save like $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.661996

The sandybridge will rape that AMD PHII CPU if he knows what he's doing :)