Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Bloody steam...

PedalBin

So my steam has done this ever since I have had it. Every so often it just turns my friends offline. After a small while it comes back on but sometimes it just sits in offline mode for ever :/ Itt happens while I am chatting and while I am not :( if anyone has had this problem or knows what the problem is please help me, I can't even have a conversation with people because it just goes offline and online every 5 minutes or so. If you need anymore info just comment!

Any help would be great,

PedalBin

Need more information.

Sometimes, you have downtime because Steam does maintenance on their Friends' server.

We all get that problem time to time.

A temporary desynchronisation is another unpleasant possibility. AFAIK, rebuilding your install is a decent idea. (this can be achieved by deleting clientregistry.blob). If your network connectivity is not stable for instance, you may want to consider forwarding the necessary STEAM ports (not HL/HL2 ports) and enable UPnP (I personally don't have it enabled for security reasons).

It isn't the steam servers problem I think since it happens up to every 10-20 minutes

And my Dad says that (because we use cisco routers) we do not use UPnP

Do you possibly have a list of the ports i could forward to try and solve the problem?

MORE INFO: It happens on both of my laptops and my computer so I don't think it is an installation problem either :( Any more info you will need?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Required Ports for Steam

Which ports do I need to open on my router or firewall for Steam?

Answer

Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):

Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)

UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)

TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

UDP 3478 (Outbound)

UDP 4379 (Outbound)

UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Additional Ports for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

UDP 1500 (outbound)

UDP 3005 (outbound)

UDP 3101 (outbound)

UDP 28960

Note:

Many university networks and proxies block required ports for Steam operation - please consult your network administrator to ensure the required ports are open if you are using a university network or a proxy. Ports required for Steam can not be re-mapped to HTTP or reconfigured to a custom port range.