Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Computer crashing

BlackEyes

Lately this problem has been getting worse where whenever I play a game, my computer will crash after 1-2 minutes of playing. Happens in Minecraft, League of Legends, and CS:S. I've done everything good to my computer that I could think of since yesterday. Like cleaning my registry, clean up junk files, get all the dust out of my computer to prevent overheating, defragment my hard drive, updated all my drivers, and virus scan. Right now I am stuck with the dreaded choice of GUESSING which part I should buy to fix it. I'm thinking it's my power supply right now tho.

I want to clear up that my computer is definitely not overheating and I'm 99% sure I don't have a virus. I never download suspicious crap on my computer.

wut do?

First few impressions indicate possibly

1. You're getting BSODs, triggered possibly by either poor driver interaction or a secondary program. (but your computer cannot correctly restart the computer and is configured to automatically restart)

2. You've installed a program that either is not interacting correctly with IRQs or the CPU, most cases it leads to BSODs. (very generic, I'd suggest looking at the logs if you can, see below)

3. Faulty RAM or CPU

I think the Event Viewer has more insight in this situation. If you can, copy and paste the events' data here.

<----------------------------------------------------------------

To check Event Viewer, it's an extremely handy tool if you're willing to siphon through it.

To launch it:

type in "Event Viewer" into your search bar (Windows Vista+)

or (in run or the search bar)

eventvwr.msc

You should get something like this

iscsi.png

Expand the "Windows Logs" (by hitting the little triangle beside it)

Select "System"

After picking the 'Critical' event, under the "general" tab, copy and paste it over here.

Look for one that says "Critical" (in my example I had only "Errors") near the time of an instance of a crash, it should give you a relatively technical log.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------->

You can always attempt a system restore to a point before this started happens, this typically helps rule out software problems.

Guest The_Monkey
Sounds like the thermal paste on the cpu might have dried out over time and is overheating. Just replace the thermal paste and you should be go to go. It does sound like a power supply issue also, what power supply are you using?

Nope

First few impressions indicate possibly

1. You're getting BSODs, triggered possibly by either poor driver interaction or a secondary program. (but your computer cannot correctly restart the computer and is configured to automatically restart)

2. You've installed a program that either is not interacting correctly with IRQs or the CPU, most cases it leads to BSODs. (very generic, I'd suggest looking at the logs if you can, see below)

3. Faulty RAM or CPU

I think the Event Viewer has more insight in this situation. If you can, copy and paste the events' data here.

<----------------------------------------------------------------

To check Event Viewer, it's an extremely handy tool if you're willing to siphon through it.

To launch it:

type in "Event Viewer" into your search bar (Windows Vista+)

or (in run or the search bar)

eventvwr.msc

You should get something like this

iscsi.png

Expand the "Windows Logs" (by hitting the little triangle beside it)

Select "System"

After picking the 'Critical' event, under the "general" tab, copy and paste it over here.

Look for one that says "Critical" (in my example I had only "Errors") near the time of an instance of a crash, it should give you a relatively technical log.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------->

You can always attempt a system restore to a point before this started happens, this typically helps rule out software problems.

This

They talk about these things being heavy factors in your issue:

1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
  2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
  3. Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
  4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
  5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

I can suggest setting your BIOS to defaults and working your way up (assuming you overclock!)

As for the PSU, RAM or CPU, I honestly doubt the latter option because unless you somehow shortcircuited your computer, the CPU won't just randomly stop working. The RAM is possible assuming it was handled improperly (for instance). The PSU, yes as well, but my question would be: how long have you had this computer for?

Edited by enigma#

They talk about these things being heavy factors in your issue:

1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
  2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
  3. Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
  4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
  5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

I can suggest setting your BIOS to defaults and working your way up (assuming you overclock!)

As for the PSU, RAM or CPU, I honestly doubt the latter option because unless you somehow shortcircuited your computer, the CPU won't just randomly stop working. The RAM is possible assuming it was handled improperly (for instance). The PSU, yes as well, but my question would be: how long have you had this computer for?

I'm not overclocking so that can be crossed out as well. Later today I'm going to put in a spare PSU to test.

I've had this PC for 2 years and I've had a bad habit of keeping it on for long periods of time.