Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

R Gaming laptops good for gaming?

Wabbit

My brother has an expensive MSI gaming computer, which almost costs the same as my desktop (minus monitor and such).

The laptops performance is OK, but nothing close to a proper desktop. The desktop has a lot more power and gaming laptops also tend to get boiling.

I'll see if i can find the link.

Yes, USUALLY desktops out-perform laptops of the same price (parts are specialized and put together differently to be more compact. HOWEVER, this one that you found is actually not too bad of a deal. To get the same components seen here in a desktop would probably cost about $1,200 or so, and the functionality and mobility of the laptop (which you get by sacrificing the consistency and comfort of a desktop) may or may not fit the missing 200 bucks depending on your needs.

In the end, I would always go for a gaming desktop over a laptop because they generally speaking run cheaper and last longer. In this case, if you REALLY want the mobility of a laptop, this one isn't bad price-wise for the performance it should give you.

Why wouldn't you just get a desktop? If you're gaming away from your home on a laptop and everything's running on high you better enjoy your 30 minutes of game time before your battery explodes.

Power brick>?

-----

Asus always makes great gaming laptops. Am getting my Asus g74sx-bbk7 next weekend and it can play battlefield 3 on utra. Try to get both a great gaming laptop and desktop. So if you go out of town or to a friend house. You dont have to drag your desktop with you.

Edited by Isaac

Power brick>?

-----

Asus always makes great gaming laptops. Am getting my Asus g74sx-bbk7 next weekend and it can play battlefield 3 on utra. Try to get both a great gaming laptop and desktop. So if you go out of town or to a friend house. You dont have to drag your desktop with you.

well, already got a a gaming desktop, im waiting for my parts from newegg.

But my gf wanna give me a gift, and she knows i love gaming, so she asked me if i waned that ASUS gaming laptop.

but i waned first to get some opinions, i never played on a laptop, dunno how it feels.

well, already got a a gaming desktop, im waiting for my parts from newegg.

But my gf wanna give me a gift, and she knows i love gaming, so she asked me if i waned that ASUS gaming laptop.

but i waned first to get some opinions, i never played on a laptop, dunno how it feels.

lol hook you monitor, mouse and keyboard to it, and it will feel just like a desktop. Just know gaming laptops are heavy and if your getting that asus you going to need a big carrying case for it.

i'll say 4-5 years max but its to early to tell. We all know how nivida like to release drive updates for the most recent games that comes out.

Plus the processor is boss, you can oc it down the road if you want to. In the end your getting your money worth no doubt.

i'll say 4-5 years max but its to early to tell. We all know how nivida like to release drive updates for the most recent games that comes out.

Plus the processor is boss, you can oc it down the road if you want to. In the end your getting your money worth no doubt.

agreed. as long as you think your getting your monies worth and he performs the way you like it.

Don't worry about battery life.

If you're on your laptop and you're close enough to a power point, take your battery out and run your laptop purely off the power point, like a desktop does if you know what I mean.

It saves battery life for when you really need it and increases your laptop performance. Be sure to use the battery at least once every 2-3 weeks so it doesn't completely drain and decrease the battery life.

I've been doing this with my laptop for over 3 years now and the battery can still last 3 hours.

I'm also looking at getting a gaming laptop, and I have the cash, or will have shortly, so I'm probably going for the Alienware M17x or M18x.

inb4 Alienware is a rip.

For 1400 you can built your own pc and much powerful than the one you trying to purchase now.. And components wise you can get a better GPU than 460. It will be better to just built your own and you can do what you want with it.. And a reminder laptop is very hard to maintained as well I've learned my experience from buying a laptop..

For 1400 you can built your own pc and much powerful than the one you trying to purchase now.. And components wise you can get a better GPU than 460. It will be better to just built your own and you can do what you want with it.. And a reminder laptop is very hard to maintained as well I've learned my experience from buying a laptop..

well, today i got my parts from newegg, i got a gtx590, 2600k, 12 crosair gb, asus z68 mobo pro, crosair 1050 w psu, phantom NZXT.

but my gf waned to give me a gift , so she asked me if i want that asus laptop, i was gonna get a second gtx590 and 3 monitors, but i think with my new system im fine rigth now, so i wanna have something different to use.