Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Wolf is Building a Computer!?!?!?!!

Wolfman

Alright Hello HG... some of you know me some don't. Regardless I would like your help with something. I have been wanting to build a computer for around 2,000 as much as I would like to build one for 4k or more I Don't have that kind of ca$h so let me know what you guys think of this build. This doesn't include a soundcard (I use headphones) or a monitor, also wondering if a "blu ray burner" would do the trick for playing CD's/DVD's/Blu-Rays/As well as burning all of them. Please critique and help me as much as possible. Decided AMD because Nvidia just costs more with a small % of better performance.

Credit for the build goes to

-Shadow

pic related

Alright Hello HG... some of you know me some don't. Regardless I would like your help with something. I have been wanting to build a computer for around 2,000 as much as I would like to build one for 4k or more I Don't have that kind of ca$h so let me know what you guys think of this build. This doesn't include a soundcard (I use headphones) or a monitor, also wondering if a "blu ray burner" would do the trick for playing CD's/DVD's/Blu-Rays/As well as burning all of them. Please critique and help me as much as possible. Decided AMD because Nvidia just costs more with a small % of better performance.

Credit for the build goes to

-Shadow

pic related

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5864[/ATTACH]

Here are the problems:

-The motherboard you have selected will not work with that CPU. You need an LGA 1155 socket motherboard for the i7-2600K with either a P67 or Z68 chipset. On the other hand, if you wanted that soon to be unsupported socket, you'll have to go with a Socket 1366 CPU such as the i7-950 and not change the RAM or motherboard.

-You don't need a triple channel kit of RAM for a 1155 board. Dual Channel 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 should be all you need

-I personally wouldn't trust that power supply. Can't go wrong with Corsair, Seasonic, or Enermax.

-The HD 6970 with that triple slot cooler will not benefit you unless you plan on overvolting and overclocking the shit out of it. Find a Reference version or v1.1 and save some $$

Other things to consider adding:

-Optical Drive (Blu-Ray drives read CDs and DVDs)

-If CPU overclocking is in the future, an aftermarket Heatsink and fan is an absolute necessity.

Edited by Cefdinir

3 months ago that same psu killed my brothers board so...dont buy it.. also the cables for it are short as shit

also...shadow....learn your shit.. board is wrong ram is wrong. also dont need to spend 300 on a board for gaming.

get a basic 6970.. unless you want to get mediocre overclocks..

Wolfman, I just wanted to say thank you for actually putting something together and then asking what people thought instead of making another one of the many threads where people just have someone else build the whole computer for them because they can't look at reviews.

Some advice when buying from Newegg... look at the combo deals. Not only will this ensure that you have compatible parts, but it will save you a decent amount of cash.

Just an example, I looked up the graphics card you had in your cart and came up with this combo deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.751416

Not saying you should go with that board or that card, but the combo deals toward the bottom of a page on an item will certainly help suggest good compatible parts.

Might scrap that build and maybe go with something like this? Totally in the dark here with building computers. Anonymau5 said he had something like this built scratching the dvd burner and going with Blu-ray also how would dual cards compare to this one beast card? and Is the SSD necessary? Also Anonymau5 was telling me about 8 core processors coming out in October. Should I just go balls out when I buy? I want something to run for 3-5 years without me having to upgrade but still can handle pretty much anything.

Pic related.

2wp5o2e.png

Might scrap that build and maybe go with something like this? Totally in the dark here with building computers. Anonymau5 said he had something like this built scratching the dvd burner and going with Blu-ray also how would dual cards compare to this one beast card? and Is the SSD necessary? Also Anonymau5 was telling me about 8 core processors coming out in October. Should I just go balls out when I buy? I want something to run for 3-5 years without me having to upgrade but still can handle pretty much anything.

Pic related.

2wp5o2e.png

For that much money get a PSU with more wattage, that a lot of money for only 850w PSU, get a better CPU im pretty sure that CPU would throttle the GPU, SSD isnt necessary but it makes things a lot faster also i didnt see vista/7 do you already have a copy.

Pic related.

*snip*

Once again here are the bad:

-The motherboard you have in your cart will not support the new Bulldozer (what mau5 was probably talking about) CPUs. You'll need an AMD 990FX (AM3+ socket) motherboard and as an added bonus that chipset will support SLi and is cross-compatible with the older AM3 CPUs.

-If you're going to wait for those fancy new AMD CPUs than you shouldn't buy a six-core right off the bat. An AMD Phenom II X4 955BE should hold you over until you get the almighty Bulldozer-ness.

The decent:

-That power supply is a decent choice. I have the 1000w version of that PSU and haven't had any troubles with it.

-The HDD, I prefer the WD Caviar Blacks but the Blue you have should do you fine.

-Everthing else, besides the good.

The good:

-GPU, awesome

-SSD, take a look at the Crucial M4 series for a SATA III interface if you get that 990FX chipset mobo.