Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

computer time problem

kimzy

SO! my boss handed me her laptop saying "you had the same one before, I'm sure you can fix this for me!"

Turned out I can not (surprised.)

the problem is this:

this shows up every time I want to start the computer.

When I press f2 I can do whatever on the computer tho, but its just the time/date on the computer isnt right.

When I change it in settings, check time zone, convert with internet, whatever, it works for then, but when I restart the computer it will be back to how it was :/

I tried pressing f1 and changing the time settings there (you never know :D)

and it didn't work either..

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this?

post-8301-13525954902216_thumb.jpg

Why not load default values and continue? :-p

When I load default values and continue (f2) it gives me a completely incorrect time and date (somewhere in 2001, some weird time)

also, that pops up everytime.. So when I press f2, then when computer started I change the time and date, save it, restart, this screen pops up again.. and if I press f1 then I can change the time there , and if I press f2 then I will get the wrong time and date again..

Changing it in the f1 menu doesnt keep it the way it should either.. only for the time I leave the computer running..

A restart will put everything back to wrong time and date..

My boss told me some person looked at it before me and said "it has got something to do with the battery" but idk :)

Most likely it is the CMOS battery that has failed

You can replace it by going to any major department store and buying a CR2302 battery (typically that's what they are).

I'm not having any luck finding motherboard/laptop schematics. You may want to look at your owner's manual. It is usually detailed enough on how to take it apart.