Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

No More Google Buzz

diK

Looks like Google is getting rid of Google Buzz in a couple of weeks. I guess it's another application they can add to the Google graveyard like Google Wave. I for one never used it because it seemed all too familiar to Twitter. Which is, I'm guessing, why they are getting rid of it. RIP Buzz

lol yeah, as a web developer, I need to know about all social networks out there and Google Buzz just happened to be one of them. Just imagine Twitter, with the addition of Geo location tweets in that wherever you were located when you tweet, it would then be visible on Google maps. So let's say you were out to eat and you wanted to tweet how amazing the food was at the restaurant; you would tweet "OMFGROFLSORUSREX the food here at #IHOP is teh 1337" and it would then Geo locate where you were through GPS tracking and your friends or anybody (if enabled) would be able to see on Google maps, not only your tweet, but where you were when you tweeted. That is pretty much how Google Buzz worked.

From what I recall, there were multiple lawsuits against Google Buzz from Twitter for copyright infringement so go figure it was shut down. Nobody knew about, the people who knew about it would rather use twitter, and it was costing them an arm and a leg for maintaining the development team and court fees and probably settlements.

Yeah, personally I believe Twitter will go before any of the other social networks. It would be game over for Twitter if Facebook integrated the same functionality into their web application but unfortunately Twitter's "Terms Of Service" would never allow such a thing.

Twitter's importance in my opinion is good for two things:

1. For B2C companies who need to get the word out to the public on promotions and such.

2. An extra feed to inform people about emergencies

Both of which are moot if traditional means were used. For example, we had a tornado in my area last year and apparently there was a handful of people that did not know there was a tornado warning in the area until they saw a tweet from our local fire department. How they were incapable of hearing the sirens and/or watching the news and why they would be following the local fire department is beyond me.