Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

How to boost steam downloads significantly

ExGBrian

Because of the holidays and the sales that are gone a lot of us have seen very slow downloads from 500kb to nothing. Here is a way to significantly boost your download speeds higher.

1) Go to http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/ and look for the server where it has the least load (the smaller the bar the less load it has). Also try not to go into a filtered server where it might limit the speed to you.

speed_1_th.png

2) Once you have found your desired server go to steam and press settings. For my example i will be using South Africa.

speed_2_th.png

After you are in settings go to the Downloads + Cloud Tab and under the Download Region choose the region that you have chosen from step 1.

speed_3_th.png

This will not promise better results but this is a good way to try. It brought up my download speeds from 400kb/s to 1.8Mb/s after changing my download region.

800kb/s-2.0 mb/s are normals speeds for steam so if you are under that this is a way to go.

[Can someone sticky this for others? Thanks :P]

I have done this trick in the past. It worked extremely well for me (went up 1.6mb). Not sure how long you have been doing it Brian. But after 4-6 days, it reverts to its normal speeds.

Like i said this is mainly because of the holiday sales, you should be restarting your client and switching regions every once in a while