Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need a new monitor.

---------

I am now seeing the need to upgrade my 3-5 year old Dell 24" monitor. I was in town a couple of days ago and decided to pop into JB Hi-Fi and saw a Samsung SyncMaster SA950 27" 3D Monitor which looked amazing. The main reason I am needing to upgrade is that my current monitor is not true to image and when you are constantly doing graphic design, it doesn't help. The reviews on this monitor are amazing and supposedly you can make ordinary 2D graphics into 3D, in real time. How does CS:S in 3D sound?

So I'd like to know if any of you guys/gals have this monitor or have heard anything about it. I'd like to know if it is worth my $800. Thanks.

Edited by ENIGM0

If you're looking for the best color accuracy, some say that Samsung's new PLS panel monitors have the best color accuracy and are better than IPS panels. However, some say that they're pretty darn bad. I haven't done much research, or seen it for myself, so I can't exactly say "it's the best" or "it's the worst." These are all suggestions. :)

If you're looking for the best color accuracy, some say that Samsung's new PLS panel monitors have the best color accuracy and are better than IPS panels. However, some say that they're pretty darn bad. I haven't done much research, or seen it for myself, so I can't exactly say "it's the best" or "it's the worst." These are all suggestions. :)

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1291980086

troloololol it's an IPS-variant ... xD

So it actually may be worth checking into it,

PLS - Plane-Line Switching...

Still, I might have to check out getting out Series 9 just to see how well colour replication is on it.

Reviews for the first gen PLS monitors

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-S24A850DW-LED-Monitor/dp/B0050X2N2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327064290&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/LCD-Display-Active-Matrix-300CD/dp/B0050X2YZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327064351&sr=8-1

mostly positive with a mention of terrible backlight bleeding at most xD

The Samsung variant on IPS is very good but comparing it with an iPad 2 and other IPS screens, it does show a color shift at the widest edges along with backlight bleed-through in the lower corners. This is with my head stationary in the horizontal center of the screen, 3/4 up on the vertical. It is a pretty minor issue and is not noticeable with normal photographs but is evident with internet browsing and file management. It wouldn't be much of an issue if Samsung didn't make such strong claims for its "PLS" variation on the IPS display. I'm keeping it and reveling in viewing my photos again in such wonderful color and resolution.

Edited by enigma#

Alright, I wish my camera wouldn't take such crappy pictures. so I'd rather not post them.

I'll have to go by words for now until the lighting sensitive on my camera stops complaining... >.<

** Colour-calibrate your monitor FIRST **

** I didn't have one handy so I couldn't do it before hand **

Side by side with a Dell U2410

Stock calibration (I reset the ICC profiles on them).

50% brightness

50% contrast

on both of them

MagicColour [FULL] on the Samsung

sRGB mode on the Dell

When it comes to HOW many colours I could see on this monitor test, the Samsung wins for sure.

Brightness, definite win on the Samsung's part. WLED has the advantage to this ol' CCFL lamp xD

Refresh rate wise, not noticeable ghosting on both ends.

** Colour-calibrate your monitor FIRST **

** I didn't have one handy so I couldn't do it before hand **

------------------------------------

Samsung

Pros

- Colour replication on par and/or better this first generation H-IPS panel (LM240WU4-SLB1)

- Brightness, [DO NOT PUT IT TO 100, it just kills colour accuracy IMO] great against the CCFLs

- Refresh rate decent (NOT meant for gamers)

- VERY THIN xD

- ECO mode seems like a cool feature

Cons

----------

- the HAS isn't as tall as what some people may expect

- Less connections compared to the U2410 (the U2410 has a DP, VGA, DVI (x2), component) and PiP

- the GUI is something you have to get used to if you're using the OSD

- Expensive as FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU D:

- Backlight bleeding (I haven't seen it on mine, but it has been reported extensively amongst these panels)

<<

Note:

This is the panel for the Samsung, [it isn't a TRUE 8-bit panel like the Dell]. Colour replication TECHNICALLY should be better on the Dell.

If you calibrated it, the Dell would woop the Samsung's butt in colour ACCURACY. Although in brightness, there seems to be an issue.

[TABLE=width: 1026]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl78][/TD]

[TD=class: xl79]Samsung

[/TD]

[TD=class: xl65]S-PLS[/TD]

[TD=class: xl80]LTM240CL01[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66]1920x1200[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 90]12ms (5ms G2G)[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68, width: 112]1000:1[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 68]300[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66]178/178[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 110]16.7M (6-bit+Hi FRC)[/TD]

[TD=class: xl81, width: 52]sRGB[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68, width: 56][/TD]

[TD=class: xl68, width: 56][/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 57]W-LED[/TD]

[TD=class: xl83]PLS tech[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is the Dell

[TABLE=width: 1026]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl78][/TD]

[TD=class: xl79]LGD[/TD]

[TD=class: xl65]H-IPS[/TD]

[TD=class: xl80]LM240WU4-SLB1[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66]1920x1200[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 90]13ms[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68, width: 112]1000:1 /3000:1 (DCR)[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 68]400[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66]178/178[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 110]1.07b (8-bit+A-FRC)[/TD]

[TD=class: xl81, width: 52]102%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68, width: 56]98.1%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68, width: 56]100%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 57]7x CCFL[/TD]

[TD=class: xl83][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Basically, it is a 1920x1200 panel with a G2G of 13 ms, same contrast as the Samsung, brightness slightly better (once again my fault for not calbrating it). Colour accuracy on this dell is 10 bit (of which 8 of it is TRUE colour, 2 bits are compensated with AFRC). Not bad of a monitor either.

|//\\ //\\//\\//\\ //\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\|

¯

If you're a gamer, enthusiastic or social, I'd stay away from this monitor on the grounds of the cost and refresh rate. Some* may notice that the refresh may not serve their needs.

If you need a decent colour-critical monitor and you have a small budget to burn, go for it. The new U2412 from Dell is 16:9, so if you're a fan of 16:10 (like me), this may be a good alternative.

Edited by enigma#