Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Seeking Computer Advice

Flare

Hey all,

I currently have a 3 year old ASUS Pro 50G laptop and I'm looking to upgrade to something newer and more powerful. I also want something that looks pretty cool.

This is it

Requirements

Hard Drive: Minimum 250 Gigabytes

RAM: Enough to run some newer games and resource heavy programs

Ports: Ethernet and min 3 usb ports

Drives: Needs to be able to rip/burn CD's and read DVD's. Many of my textbooks are on CD's

Communications: WiFi and Ethernet

Extras: External volume control and backlit keyboard IF POSSIBLE

Price Range: $1000 ---> $2000 AUD

Not too fussed on the brand and I was also looking at Mac's too- Opinions?. Not to sure what I should get.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Jake

inb4 terry taco.

MacBook Pro.

gtfo. :diaf:

@topic - If you want true power, albeit slightly out of your price range, I would look into a Razor:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.243119900/categoryId.57876700

Not out yet, but defiantly worth considering as it looks amazing.

Otherwise go with alienware:

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

Of course this is assuming you don't understand how to build a laptop computer (Its significantly harder then a plug-n-play desktop) and you would like to use your laptop for gaming. If you just need a normal one you can do no wrong with dell.

Edited by Papa John

enough with the macs and dells. you're some wannabe hip gaming shmuck for a mac, and your downright retarded if you even think about buying an alienware, unless they are taken over by some custom build pc company. my opinion? go with asus laptops, like someone else said, a little bulky, but those are able to get your shit done.

Edited by ^TheRumor^

enough with the macs and dells. you're some wannabe hip gaming shmuck for a mac, and your downright retarded if you even think about buying an alienware, unless they are taken over by some custom build pc company. my opinion? go with asus laptops, like someone else said, a little bulky, but those are able to get your shit done.

D: I have a Mac, and for the things it doesn't do I have a dell. Dell is a good brand, my whole family use dell pc/laptops and never had any problems! I have a Mac for graphic design, CS:S and every-day use - never had a problem with it!

Edited by ^TheRumor^

I use my mac for everything. There isn't anything my mac can't use that a pc doesn't use.

I use mine for some HTML Editing programs (but mainly I use dreamweaver on my mac) and some windows only games like CoD BO. TBH, I haven't turned on my laptop for a good month or so now. lol

No love for MSI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152301

buddy just got the 560m version and he loves it. Not as aggressive looking as the asus. But has the back lite keyboard 1.5tb 16gb of ram and dont forget one of the best mobile cpus on the market.

Honestly Alienwares are not bad. But Asus and msi both offer much better laptops for less money. (if you go alienware you are only paying for the logo. It is exactly what apple does)

Ohh and about the razer switch blade. For that you pay $2800

It has a i7 (not sandybridge) 8gb of ram gtx 555m (taking a mid ranged card and clocking it way down)

Now compare it to the MSI i linked. Basically for the razer you spend 1000 more and get so much less. It is a 1000$ scam

I use my mac for everything. There isn't anything my mac can't use that a pc doesn't use.

oh god this again...

I can probably name a few things that the Mac cannot do (without bootcamp).

MS Visual Studio: A fully functional (IntelliSense, JIT debugger etc...) IDE (that does native code and managed code), and arguably one of the best IDEs out there. (if you're a WinFanBoi xD)

Fully functional Active Directory/Domain controller with replication services

Cain and Abel (security/pentest suite for NetBIOS/networks)

Shall I go on?

But that's besides the point,

I've had fairly good luck with Asus laptops (you get accidental damage coverage here for free for 1 year when you buy it, which is awesome). Shop around, I'm starting to see Asus around here (don't know if the same situation for you). Chances are, check out places like NewEgg, Amazon etc..

I've bought HP in the past because I didn't game but I somewhat regret it now because when you're travelling and want to play xD. HP is 'generally' reliable like the other big 3, toshiba, sony; but if you wanted more to the niche of a gamer, then Asus is one.

@MSI comment, I've had mostly poor experiences with MSI. The company that I used to work for, had their own inhouse brand used MSI. Oh boy were they ever pissed at the return rate these MSI-based laptops brought on. Saddening to hear frankly.

Edited by enigma#

@MSI comment, I've had mostly poor experiences with MSI. The company that I used to work for, had their own inhouse brand used MSI. Oh boy were they ever pissed at the return rate these MSI-based laptops brought on. Saddening to hear frankly.

I know what you mean. I used to have a 790x mobo from msi. Board arrived doa. I RMAd (customer service wasnt bad actually) the next board arrived dead. When i got the next board i sold it and got a gigabyte. I never thought msi would ever get my respect back.

When i built my brothers comp a msi 890fx was on sale at frys so i grabbed it. Board was flawless. I actually broke the back plate. Called them up and had a new one in my hands a 2 weeks later. So they are winning me over as a company. Used another 880g board in my GFs comp also works great.

From what i hear they are improving but the asus with the same specs is about the same price so :P go with whatever you like.

oh god this again...

MS Visual Studio: A fully functional (IntelliSense, JIT debugger etc...) IDE (that does native code and managed code), and arguably one of the best IDEs out there. (if you're a WinFanBoi xD)

Shall I go on?

I've had fairly good luck with Asus laptops (you get accidental damage coverage here for free for 1 year when you buy it, which is awesome). Shop around, I'm starting to see Asus around here (don't know if the same situation for you). Chances are, check out places like NewEgg, Amazon etc..

I've bought HP in the past because I didn't game but I somewhat regret it now because when you're travelling and want to play xD. HP is 'generally' reliable like the other big 3, toshiba, sony; but if you wanted more to the niche of a gamer, then Asus is one.

Parallels yo!

Active directory? If your using a mac and so is everyone else, you don't need one. Hence why I said mac.

There are plenty of network password crackers and network sniffers for mac, or you can use parallels.

oh god this again...

Shall I go on?

@MSI comment, I've had mostly poor experiences with MSI. The company that I used to work for, had their own inhouse brand

Parallels yo!

Active directory? If your using a mac and so is everyone else, you don't need one. Hence why I said mac.

There are plenty of network password crackers and network sniffers for mac, or you can use parallels.[/quote

You don't understand Cain and Abel sadly then. NetBIOS is important in Wintel LANs. NetBIOS shares for example are an awesome feature built in. Although from a security perspective, it isn't the greatest when it gets bound to tcp/udp packets. I'm not sure how the TCP/ip stack would interact in Mac os x if it is imitating Windows' network stack. There are a lot of different driver/stack level differences.

You said your Mac not Macs in general, that is different. Sadly in the corporate world, Active Directory is used more than Mac's directory services.

Now that I've addressed your statements. Let's make this clear: I'm merely giving examples of many things Mac OS X cannot do natively that Windows can. I'm sure the reverse applies too. let's stay on topic here. I'm sure for the average consumer both platforms are.okay!

Edited by enigma#

inb4 terry taco.

gtfo. :diaf:

@topic - If you want true power, albeit slightly out of your price range, I would look into a Razor:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.243119900/categoryId.57876700

Not out yet, but defiantly worth considering as it looks amazing.

Otherwise go with alienware:

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

Of course this is assuming you don't understand how to build a laptop computer (Its significantly harder then a plug-n-play desktop) and you would like to use your laptop for gaming. If you just need a normal one you can do no wrong with dell.

I would highly advise that you do not buy Alienware.

They have quality products... But like Apple, they are over priced as shiiiit.

Asus actually has very fair prices as far as laptops.