Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Terry Taco needed, "Where are you superman?!"

Weeman

So I recently sent my Radeon 5870 in for repair which they had for a month before sending my "replacement" which I was expecting my card with a new fan. Instead they sent me a 6950 with almost a gpu of 100 Mhz less and 600 stream processors less. Now the card's retail value is $230 as compared to my $410 card so I immediatly contacting them to see what the fuck is going on. This is what happened:

untitled.jpg

Now I need to know, is this guy fucking with me? Are they straight up bullshitting to my face? Or is there in fact a "different architecture to these cards".

Also PLEASE do not post if you don't know anything about this, Thank you.

Edited by Weeman

Be a boss and tell them to get you a 7970 lulz

Well I want to be a reasonable customer not an angry one(yet). I just want to know if there is indeed a diference in the architecture of how the actual board was designed where the "difference" in the gpu and other specifications do not matter. He clearly states that the 6850 will outperform the 5870.

Weeman - they are not bullshiiting, they do have different architectures. Think of it like CPU's, you can have 3 CPU's 32nm (sandybridge vs nehalem vs westmere) all same clock speeds and one will be faster than the other, different architectures.

I'd be happy with the 6950, no its not better than the 5870 in every way and game but it is definitely equal to what you had before. In the future, if you pick up another 6950 for crossfire, it will scale 100% in most games.

Weeman - they are not bullshiiting, they do have different architectures. Think of it like CPU's, you can have 3 CPU's 32nm (sandybridge vs nehalem vs westmere) all same clock speeds and one will be faster than the other, different architectures.

I'd be happy with the 6950, no its not better than the 5870 in every way and game but it is definitely equal to what you had before. In the future, if you pick up another 6950 for crossfire, it will scale 100% in most games.

Would you recommend that? or would the new 7970 with the 6950 as crossfire be even better?

also this:

[video=youtube;VoW9czgQBqE]