Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help please!

Goat

So, today was a pretty good day for me. I just ordered my GTX 550 TI from newegg like a day ago and expected it to be here tomorrow at the earliest but to my surprise, it was waiting here for me when I got home from work :). Anyways, after successfully installing this gigantic card and installing all the updated drivers, I decided to put it to the test. The first and only game I have tried is WoW. I went to the graphics interface in the options and cranked it up to ultra. This is where the problem occurs. After about 3-5 minutes of game-play, my PC shuts down completely. At first I thought "great, I just killed my PS.", but after unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in it turns on and runs no problem. I've done this twice now and the same thing has occurred each time. Now, please note that I do look to see if I have all of the system requirements before I buy any piece of equipment for my PC. Can someone please explain to me why this keeps happening? I mean, my PS should have enough wattage to support the 550. I don't know if this will help you come to a better conclusion but, here are my specs:

- Windows 7 (64-bit)

- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (3.20 GHz)

- 7 GB of RAM (DDR2)

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

- 500 Watt PS (I know it's at least 500 but I'm thinking it could possibly be 530)

Edit: This problem only occurs while I'm in-game.

A couple reasons of your PC blacking out could be:

1. Overheating of the CPU/GPU.

~~ A good case with good airflow goes a long way. Are you running any case fans? A culprit could be that you're recycling hot air inside the case, or you're starving your GPU for air. Monitor your temperatures for both your CPU and GPU. For my CPU, I like to use Coretemp, and for my GPU, I like using EVGA Precision (Usually manufacturers have their own program). Take off the side panel for your case and see if it helps.

2. Power Supply might be labeled 500 watts, but can't actually pull that much.

~~Who manufactures your power supply? Is any part of your system overclocked?

I have to assume that 550 Ti needs more power than your 500W power supply is feeding. You might need to upgrade your PSU to somewhere closer to 600W. On top of that it is definitely possible your having heating issues. If you want to post the Error code or the Minidump file in this thread I can look into it further for you. Go check your event log and post that latest critical error. Also with all due respect to the previous posts, him putting the video settings to ultra should not be causing any such issues; so as far as using recommended video settings that is a defunct solution.

Definitely seems to be a temp issue. See what they are on the card while the game is running. If thats the issue then re seat the heat sink on the card. If that doesn't more get a psu tester (multi meter or borrow a friends psu) and check your psu.

The settings in game will cause the game to lag if to high. Not crash the pc

What brand card? Usually the manufacture supplies sometime of overclocking program that will allow you to adjust your fan speed. I had this problem with the MSI 560Ti, i turned up the fans to drop the temps down and it fixed all my crashing problems.