Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Overclock Help Requested

Weeman

So here is the deal, My CPU is automatically overclocked by my motherboard "Overclock detection settings" to 3.9Ghz from the standard 3.4, now it idles at around 30 degrees Celsius while playing demanding games on ultra settings, meaning this bitch hasn't even screamed yet. My question is how do I manually (and safely) overclock this from the bios, or the asus AI suit from my desktop. I know that it has to do with changing the voltage and such but that is where my knowledge ends.

System Specs:

Crosshair Formula V

1000W Corsair PSU

AMD Phenom II X4 965 standard 3.4 GHz

XFX HD Radeon 6950

What do you use as your cooler? I'm assuming it's a pretty decent cooler since it keeps your CPU below 30C @ idle.

Before I start, I have a disclaimer:

What I say should only be used as a basis or an example of an overclock. I'm sure you are aware of the risks of overclocking and such. I don't want to be held accountable if it doesn't work out for you. :D If you still want to go through with this, let us begin...

When I overclock, I set a goal. Let's set 4.4GHz as our goal for this example. (Note this is all theoretical, as I do not know how well your CPU overclocks and the fancy BIOS the Crosshair V has, but I am familiar with OC'ing.)

I would set DRAM voltages and timings to whatever my RAM is set for, in most cases 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v or 1.65v (each brand and series of RAM has different timings and voltages, so check). I would set the bus speed to be, let's say, 220MHz. Now, when you increase your BUS speed for your CPU, you will be increasing your DRAM Frequency higher than it normally would, so adjust accordingly to your RAM's normal clock speed. I would then set my multiplier to 20. This would end up to be: 220*20 = 4400MHz, or 4.4GHz. Next, voltages. Change what you have to, to be able to set voltages manually. I would first try 1.5v as my first go. If it doesn't boot into Windows, you might have to add more voltage into that little sucker. But, if it does, then you're good. So, load up your CPU stress tester of choice, and hit that start button. Now, I cannot stress this enough, but you should monitor your temperatures. Personally, I hate it when my CPU goes over ~65C. But, after a couple of hours of stress testing your CPU for stability and such, if you are comfortable with the temperatures you are at now, you have successfully overclocked your CPU. If you are not comfortable, tune down the voltage and overclock and try again.

Sorry if this is too long or too jumbled up. Hope this helps!

With that chip(assuming c3 stepping)

you do not want to oc from the software. Im warning you now getting past 3.9 on air is annoying with the 965. You are looking at 1.5vcore to get it above 4 and maybe 4.2. There is a heat wall for that chip 55c so stay below it and getting it stable past 1.5vcore is difficult

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

take a read don't just jump into it.

Basically you want to see how high you can get with stock voltages and just raise the multiplier by 10 reboot and see if you can post. when you cant thats when you start lowering it by five until it post again. once you got it stable again up the vcore just a little and increase by 5. Just repeat until you cant go any higher. After that is all done and you can sit in windows for a bit run a program called prime 95. Run the blend test. This will load your cpu to 100% on all cores and do the same for your ram. Run it for about 8 hours (i just sleep with it on) and if it crashes due to temps, instability etc just lower the vcore or tighten your timings on the ram if you can (don't know what sticks you have). Once you get a solid 8 hour prime run you are considered stable and safe.

Thats really just the 5 min guide to oc that chip reading the guide i linked will help you a ton and give a decent knowledge of the chip and how to oc it.

With that chip(assuming c3 stepping)

you do not want to oc from the software. Im warning you now getting past 3.9 on air is annoying with the 965. You are looking at 1.5vcore to get it above 4 and maybe 4.2. There is a heat wall for that chip 55c so stay below it and getting it stable past 1.5vcore is difficult

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

take a read don't just jump into it.

Basically you want to see how high you can get with stock voltages and just raise the multiplier by 10 reboot and see if you can post. when you cant thats when you start lowering it by five until it post again. once you got it stable again up the vcore just a little and increase by 5. Just repeat until you cant go any higher. After that is all done and you can sit in windows for a bit run a program called prime 95. Run the blend test. This will load your cpu to 100% on all cores and do the same for your ram. Run it for about 8 hours (i just sleep with it on) and if it crashes due to temps, instability etc just lower the vcore or tighten your timings on the ram if you can (don't know what sticks you have). Once you get a solid 8 hour prime run you are considered stable and safe.

Thats really just the 5 min guide to oc that chip reading the guide i linked will help you a ton and give a decent knowledge of the chip and how to oc it.

This is the proper way to overclock.