Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

DHCP Problems with my router

silentdeath631

Recently, my router has been refusing to assign ips to device that connect. I've worked around by giving everyone on our network static ips through windows and they connect perfectly. Only thing is when I assign static ip addresses, the router says a computer has a dif. ip.

EG: I set my comp to 192.168.1.337.... Well, router says my ip is 192.168.0.4. I don't understand. Could it be the lease time setting on the router? It's set to 1440 minutes.

The problem is probably that you're messing with things you don't understand. It sounds like it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

Reset your router and start over. If it's still broken then it's a lot easier to work with.

Agreed, assiging manual IPs to anything other than a server in this day and age is simply *asking* for trouble. Your best best is go around and put all your computers back to Pull IP via DHCP, then reset your router back to defaults.

No offense, but given the language you used in your post, I wouldn't suggest doing anything to your router settings other than the basic setup wizard to lock down your wi-fi. Don't mess with your DHCP settings. Just don't. Especially considering you didn't know that IPs are 0-255 and that you obviously ignored your subnet mask.

Agreed, assiging manual IPs to anything other than a server in this day and age is simply *asking* for trouble. Your best best is go around and put all your computers back to Pull IP via DHCP, then reset your router back to defaults.

No offense, but given the language you used in your post, I wouldn't suggest doing anything to your router settings other than the basic setup wizard to lock down your wi-fi. Don't mess with your DHCP settings. Just don't. Especially considering you didn't know that IPs are 0-255 and that you obviously ignored your subnet mask.

Not to be mean, but I do know what I'm doing. Just because I don't focus on my grammar doesn't mean I don't know what to do. I have reset router to default and turned on DHCP on windows multiple times. I guess leaving out an "s" and maybe 2 commas means I don't know my computer stuff. I was asking for help; not to be made fun of. And also, I know ips can only be between 0-255, I was just making an example. (Hint: 1.337) But yea. Thanks for the help. Sorry if this sounds rude, it's not supposed to be. Also, in response to Wingless. It's not doing what it is supposed to be doing. What I'm saying is, It doesn't assign IPS to new devices that join the network.

Let's Reword my example:

"/ipconfig all" Report that my IP is 192.168.0.104

Router says my computers IP address is not 192.168.0.104, but 192.168.0.xxx <---whatever

The static IPS haven't messed anything up, because the problem was happening before I assigned Static IPS. But fornow it's whatever, because it's working perfectly fine with the Static Ip's.

I'm wondering if you use a custom firmware (like many ISPs) provide. I know in DD-WRT I can set how far my DHCP server sets the IP range to. E.g. I can tell it to assign addresses from 192.168.1.2 (0,1 is allocated for another node) to 192.168.1.128 instead of to 254 (like most routers do).

Finally, check that there isn't an static DHCP assignment of IP addresses (I messed with that alot in DD-WRT, check that you dont' have an option).

My next thoughts are that if you have a Vista-based machine there was a known glitch with DHCP with it (ignore it if it's not).

OTherwise, post a screenie of your router config (minus the WAN address and WAN host) and one of us can help ya

In reference to your above reply, I think your example was valid (although can be confusing to those who read too much into it).

I just didn't want to presume anything so I'm sorry if I seem pompous. It wasn't meant to imply ignorance or attack your knowledge.

Finally, I saw your reply in the nvidia thread. I think you're allowed to have an opinion. Just don't attack other brands especially when there is evidence suggesting otherwise.

I'm wondering if you use a custom firmware (like many ISPs) provide. I know in DD-WRT I can set how far my DHCP server sets the IP range to. E.g. I can tell it to assign addresses from 192.168.1.2 (0,1 is allocated for another node) to 192.168.1.128 instead of to 254 (like most routers do).

Finally, check that there isn't an static DHCP assignment of IP addresses (I messed with that alot in DD-WRT, check that you dont' have an option).

My next thoughts are that if you have a Vista-based machine there was a known glitch with DHCP with it (ignore it if it's not).

OTherwise, post a screenie of your router config (minus the WAN address and WAN host) and one of us can help ya

That. And pics of your IPv4 properties as well. Not everything in the post added up since you gave an example instead of your actual config, so I think it threw us a bit. :/

You router isn't going to care if you're assigning a static IP, as long as your gateway and subnet settings are right, but it wouldn't keep it from maintaining a lease on the address until it times out if your computer sends a request to the DHCP server, which is what you might be seeing in your status section.

But yeah, config pics and then we can go from there. :P

In reference to your above reply, I think your example was valid (although can be confusing to those who read too much into it).

I just didn't want to presume anything so I'm sorry if I seem pompous. It wasn't meant to imply ignorance or attack your knowledge.

Finally, I saw your reply in the nvidia thread. I think you're allowed to have an opinion. Just don't attack other brands especially when there is evidence suggesting otherwise.

you know what. That's it. I installed a firmware mod awhile back. I will make sure to completely re-install the router software. And to wingless, hey no problem bro lol :) I wasn't angry or anything ^.^