Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help setting CSS to bare minimum

mcwillzz

Hey, so what's the lowest DXLevel, settings, etc. in CSS?

Are there any console commands to lower settings that you couldn't normally do?

Any configs/launch options etc. are needed :D

I'm trying to run CSS on my laptop with some awful spec's, it can run games like CS1.6 and Serious Sam Classic no problem, but I can't get Source above about 6/7 FPS.

Specs (that matter):

1.73 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor T2250 (533MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)

4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

GPU: Mobile Intel 945 Express Family Chipset (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950) (256MB VRAM)

All drivers and such are up to date, fresh copy of Windows XP, will be using Game Booster 3.5.0 Beta.

Dunno what game booster is, but your problem stems from the fact that you have an integrated graphics chipset. The reason why older games work is they were probably trying to use OpenGL or software rendering, whereas CS:S will attempt to make use of DirectX 9.0c. There's a launch option you can do to force OpenGL, but it doesn't always work.

Add -OpenGL to your Steam launch options.

Aside from that, all your graphics settings are available in the options, just crank em down as far as they'll go, and make sure things like HDR and VSync are off.

One other thing... make sure you have as little running in the background as possible, and no windows open if you can help it.

Good luck, let us know if this doesn't help.

~Shino Puppy

The correct launch option for setting your rendered mode to OpenGL is " -gl " not -opengl

However, this only applies to Goldsrc games and not Source-based games.

OpenGL support for Source-based games have been dropped for Windows however, if you run Linux or a Mac, it'll work just fine.

-----------

Based on your specs, you should be able to run CSS fine with the exception, your video card is old.

DX81 should be enough however there are definitely alot more tweaks I think your computer could use.

@Shiny: GameBooster can kill off a lot of unnecessary services so I believe that is what he's trying to achieve

The correct launch option for setting your rendered mode to OpenGL is " -gl " not -opengl

However, this only applies to Goldsrc games and not Source-based games.

Oops, my bad, I was running from memory on that one. Still, there's no explination for those framerates on those specs if the settings are on minimum and he's running 640x480. Even if it is an integrated graphics chip.

@Shiny: GameBooster can kill...

Do I have a new nickname now? ^_^