Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need IP Assigning help! PLEASE!

General Red

So Im going back to summer school, and long story short, internet blows. But heres the deal.

Each room gets 2 mb/s, split through 2 ips, so 1 mb/s each. Since I will not have a roomate I need to figure out how to use both IPs.

Hope fully I can use 1 with my wireless and 1 with my wired considering there 2 different mac addresses (im pretty sure)

Ideally, id like to have 1 assigned to gmod/glames.

and 1 for the rest (ts, browsing, youtube etc)

Ive been trying to research but cannot find anything. If anyone has ANY idea I would seriously love you! Thanks!

other problem is i wont be able to lock down ip addresses since the school runs it. So if I could set my computer to run certain things off 1 connection and certain things off others while using both, thatd be perfect.

so wait, you have two dynamic IP WAN addresses?

If that's the case, you'll probably have two devices (two modems typically)... you can just split them accordingly (two different physical lines) or have them split the line (their DHCP server should be able to do this)

No, the school may have more than 1 wan address i have no way of knowing. I just get an internal line so all of this would be internal. The problem is each internal IP is limited connection so i would liked to take 2 internal ip addresses using my wireless and wired.

hmm so sounds like they have their own DHCP server dishes out 2 IP address

V (node) -> x1 (first LAN address) v x2 (second lan address)

if that's the case, a router should do, you can hard code your IP addresses in windows or give each of your computers a static DHCP lease. It works wonders if you don't want to manually type it in ).

I would say having a schematic would be nice :P

the only problem with a router is it gets assigned 1 ip address, which once again limits me. Their rotuers im sure serv out tons of internal IP addresses. but each one is limited to 1mb/s where im trying to attain 2 internal IPS on one computer.

I tried the rotuer while i was there, but the router once again takes one internal ip address therefore limit is still in effect. I need to take two of the assigned internal IPs. a schematic? let me try to show you in paint i guess

schem.png

i suck at drawing

• Executive Council

Without a special driver you'd need two NIC cards/routers. In order to split the incoming connection you need a switch.

• Executive Council
i can turn my router into a switch but thered be no way to split it between the wireless and wired? dam

If your router can act as a switch and you connect to it using two different connections it'll work.

But I'm also thinking you won't see a real performance boost because normally Windows selects just one adapter to route all internet traffic through.