Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Anyone know what is going on?

Demon

I recently just moved and got new internet connection. The fastest the place has is 800ms connection...

Now i look at my favs and see they all deleated them selves and i cant connect to any server in any steam game anywhere. Can someone please help? (btw i can connect to non steam games fine)

Heres what the console says when i try to connect to the bhop server.

connect 67.228.181.69:27015

Network: IP 192.168.1.143, mode MP, dedicated No, ports 27015 SV / 27005 CL

Connecting to 67.228.181.69:27015...

Retrying 67.228.181.69:27015...

Connection failed after 4 retries.

Edited by Demon

I would imagine either your local client is timing out before it can make a connection, or there's a firewall somewhere that's getting in the way, perhaps your ISP forces a proxy connection.

One easy way to tell is take that same IP address and ping in from a command prompt. (Winkey+R, CMD->enter, ping 67.228.181.69 and see if it works.)

Beyond that, I can't offer more suggestions without some more detail. What kind of internet connection is it? DSL, Sattelite, etc, and what company is it through?

I would imagine either your local client is timing out before it can make a connection, or there's a firewall somewhere that's getting in the way, perhaps your ISP forces a proxy connection.

One easy way to tell is take that same IP address and ping in from a command prompt. (Winkey+R, CMD->enter, ping 67.228.181.69 and see if it works.)

Beyond that, I can't offer more suggestions without some more detail. What kind of internet connection is it? DSL, Sattelite, etc, and what company is it through?

I hate seattilate connection from dish. But here is what cmd says.

pinging 67.228.181.69 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 67.228.181.69

Packets: Sent=4, Recieved=0, Lost=4 (100% loss).

So that is without my firewall on. When i turn it on it does the same thing? Can anyone help me?

Edited by Demon

Shit, you're on Sattelite... I hate to break it to you, but with a ping like that, most servers will reject the connection, or Steam's server filter is hiding them (again, because the ping is too high). Also, Sattelite providers are infamous (unless something's changed in the last three years) for forcing their users through their own proxy server.

Do me a favor, I'm curuious to see what happens if you enter "ping www.google.com" and "tracert 4.4.8.8" (Google's public DNS)...

if neither of those go through either, your ISP is forcing you through a proxy server, and short of getting hold of a sympathetic engineer, I dunno if there's anything else you can do.

If it does go through, than I don't have an explination for what's happening.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you may be SOL. Sorries.

I hate to bust your bubble, but I don't think any of you are going to ping that IP. Probably want to take a different avenue of approach for this diagnosis.

Random things that I picked up from google.

Set cl_resend "20" in CS

Try bypassing your router and connect directly through the modem. It could be a port issue on the hardware firewall.

Edited by Wingless

Try bypassing your router and connect directly through the modem. It could be a port issue on the hardware firewall.

And if this works, go into your router from your computer and port forward the needed ports for steam and cs:s

Well none of thease worked. Im not running on a proxy. Or wingless tip didnt work. It seems im going to have to leave hg if i dont get this fixed...

Also We are about to go to dsl instead of Seattilate. Is it better then seattilate? I know the ping is slower. But will i be able to connect?

Edited by Demon

Well none of thease worked. Im not running on a proxy. Or wingless tip didnt work. It seems im going to have to leave hg if i dont get this fixed...

Also We are about to go to dsl instead of Seattilate. Is it better then seattilate? I know the ping is slower. But will i be able to connect?

Any form of (modern) broadband is usually infinitely better than satellite. You'll want to ask around/google what the average speeds for your provider and region, but 95/100 times, you'll pull better speeds both up and downstream on DSL than sat.