Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need some help.. getting a new computerr.

Okay, so I'm gonna get a new computer at the end of the summer. And I'm gonna put it all together myself.. But I'm not sure exactly how good I am at this lmao.. So, I need some help. I need some things still, but here's what I have so far...

Intel Core i7 Proccessor i7-2700k

Asus P8z68-v LX LGA 1155 Intel

32G ram DDr3

Crucial 512G Solid State Drive SATA Drive

nVidia GeForce GTX690 4GB DDR5 Video card

I need a sound card.. and a few other things.. Any opinions??

Okay' date=' so I'm gonna get a new computer at the end of the summer. And I'm gonna put it all together myself.. But I'm not sure exactly how good I am at this lmao.. So, I need some help. I need some things still, but here's what I have so far...

Intel Core i7 Proccessor i7-2700k

Asus P8z68-v LX LGA 1155 Intel

32G ram DDr3

Crucial 512G Solid State Drive SATA Drive

nVidia GeForce GTX690 4GB DDR5 Video card

I need a sound card.. and a few other things.. Any opinions??[/quote']

Make sure to pair all that with a reliable PSU, and a big case if you have the room.

Are you going to overclock at all?

IMO, it is a waste of money to buy an SSD that large.

Based the amount of RAM, you could just cache ~20GB of it.

Why?

If you're looking for ridiculous speed on bandwidth on just typical day-to-day tasks, you don't need a 512GB solid state drive (although it would nice to have eh xD)

I presume you're not running a database instance or something like that, so I doubt you need an unreasonably high sequential (or high random data size [512K,256K] read/writes.

I'll give you an example....

My system has some RAM cached as 'cache' literally.

I'm using ATTO diskmark because it'll give me a few more fine grain benchmark options (one for skipping the RAM cache)

4ff679fe1781c.png

From the left to right, you have a few options... you'll see the two primary ones changed.

I made the queue depth as close as possible (as most real-life applications use very low queue-depths, I don't think there are alot of apps that use QD=32 xD)

First some terminology

Forced Write Access means you're not using the cache of the hard-drive or solid state drive, helps make it more accurate to how the disk controller / NAND processes information (assuming you don't have a caching system on like FancyCache).

Direct I/O means it'll skip all Windows (like SuperFetch) caching options and try to do the benchmark, I think it keeps disk cache on.

On to the results.

If I disable DirectI/O and FWA, I get relatively stable and high benchmark

If I enable Direct I/O (no superfetching or Fancy Disk but with OCZ's cache), I get stable read speeds but terrible write speeds.

If I disable Direct I/o and enable FWA, I get okay read speeds and okay write speeds. However, they are more stable and consistent.

If I enable both FWA and Direct I/O, I will get the performance overall of the disk. AS you can tell, the OCZ drive is a very powerful drive in terms of read, but it is atrocious when writes at such a high transfer data size.

Why does this matter?

Because in your case, you're running a drive similar to mine (yours is probably SATA3, so it'll be further hampered by the SATA3 controller you use), the differences at the LOW data size transfer rate are minimal.

Test 1:

@4KB: 616267 KBps WRITE

@4KB: 734576 KBps READ

Test 2:

@4KB: 325779 KBps WRITE

@4KB: 376504 KBps READ

Test 3:

@4KB: 135925 KBps WRITE

@4KB: 744341 KBps READ

Test 4:

@4KB 307347 KBps WRITE

@4KB 358200 KBps READ

If you look at the benchies in #2,#3,#4, they're actually pretty close (with the exception of the 4K read speed with direct windows disk access). Ignore #1 because this is your 4K transfer speed under a caching system like FancyCache (base benchmark).

All in all, I'd say, with the money you'd save NOT buying an SSD of that calibre, invest it into something that will make your gaming experience better.

Up to you though, thoughts?

Edited by enigma#

IMO, it is a waste of money to buy an SSD that large.

Based the amount of RAM, you could just cache ~20GB of it.

Why?

If you're looking for ridiculous speed on bandwidth on just typical day-to-day tasks, you don't need a 512GB solid state drive (although it would nice to have eh xD)

I presume you're not running a database instance or something like that, so I doubt you need an unreasonably high sequential (or high random data size [512K,256K] read/writes.

I'll give you an example....

My system has some RAM cached as 'cache' literally.

I'm using ATTO diskmark because it'll give me a few more fine grain benchmark options (one for skipping the RAM cache)

4ff679fe1781c.png

From the left to right, you have a few options... you'll see the two primary ones changed.

I made the queue depth as close as possible (as most real-life applications use very low queue-depths, I don't think there are alot of apps that use QD=32 xD)

First some terminology

Forced Write Access means you're not using the cache of the hard-drive or solid state drive, helps make it more accurate to how the disk controller / NAND processes information (assuming you don't have a caching system on like FancyCache).

Direct I/O means it'll skip all Windows (like SuperFetch) caching options and try to do the benchmark, I think it keeps disk cache on.

On to the results.

If I disable DirectI/O and FWA, I get relatively stable and high benchmark

If I enable Direct I/O (no superfetching or Fancy Disk but with OCZ's cache), I get stable read speeds but terrible write speeds.

If I disable Direct I/o and enable FWA, I get okay read speeds and okay write speeds. However, they are more stable and consistent.

If I enable both FWA and Direct I/O, I will get the performance overall of the disk. AS you can tell, the OCZ drive is a very powerful drive in terms of read, but it is atrocious when writes at such a high transfer data size.

Why does this matter?

Because in your case, you're running a drive similar to mine (yours is probably SATA3, so it'll be further hampered by the SATA3 controller you use), the differences at the LOW data size transfer rate are minimal.

Test 1:

@4KB: 616267 KBps WRITE

@4KB: 734576 KBps READ

Test 2:

@4KB: 325779 KBps WRITE

@4KB: 376504 KBps READ

Test 3:

@4KB: 135925 KBps WRITE

@4KB: 744341 KBps READ

Test 4:

@4KB 307347 KBps WRITE

@4KB 358200 KBps READ

If you look at the benchies in #2,#3,#4, they're actually pretty close (with the exception of the 4K read speed with direct windows disk access). Ignore #1 because this is your 4K transfer speed under a caching system like FancyCache (base benchmark).

All in all, I'd say, with the money you'd save NOT buying an SSD of that calibre, invest it into something that will make your gaming experience better.

Up to you though, thoughts?

My reasoning for having and SSD this large, is I got it for about $50.. Brand new in the box. I was like.. Holy shit, and bought it on spot because it's such a rediculouslygood deal.

but I do agree with everything you said actually, if it weren't for the fact I already had it, I would not be buying seeming as it can be well over $.600.00 hahaha.

And your tests all actually intriuged me,not that I knew what half of them meant. But the colors on them were pretty :3... Like I said, I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I plan on going to college for computer science, after my senior year.

As for the PSU, I have one, I have a Corsair 1050 WATT high performance SLI/Crossfire power supply.

Reasoning for that one is I got it for a good price. Still all in all, anyone have an Idea for the a sound card??

What about a Creative Labs one?

My reasoning for having and SSD this large' date=' is I got it for about $50.. Brand new in the box. I was like.. Holy shit, and bought it on spot because it's such a rediculouslygood deal.[/quote']

I actually wet my pants wishing I could be that lucky. How'd you get it?

If you have another $1,000 I would suggest you get 2 690, if this is a gaming computer, or you plan to do any hardcore gaming like WoW or BF3.

It would be like have 4 680s in your computer.

Here is the consumption of power of a 690. JUST THE CARD

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 150 W

System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 400 W

Difference (GPU load) = 250 W

Add average IDLE wattage ~20 W

Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 270 Watts

Now, if you wanted 2 690s in SLI,

GeForce GTX 690 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 690 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 950 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

A 1050 PSU should be plenty for just 1. For 2, it won't be enough, because the other components, even your keyboard and mouse, use the PSU.

A Sound Card depends on your needs. Are you just doing research papers and browsing for "movies" :devil:

Or will you be gaming?

Or do you demand the best sound no matter what your doing?

Anyhow, look Here.

The PCI sound card technology is used in older computers. Oh course, do some research, read some reviews, and compare prices, you don't need to spend $500 to get a decent sound card. I have integrated sound in my motherboard, and it is just as good as a sound card.

If you have another $1,000 I would suggest you get 2 690, if this is a gaming computer, or you plan to do any hardcore gaming like WoW or BF3.

System in IDLE = 150 W

GeForce GTX 690 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 690 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 950 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

A 1050 PSU should be plenty for just 1. For 2, it won't be enough, because the other components, even your keyboard and mouse, use the PSU.

A Sound Card depends on your needs. Are you just doing research papers and browsing for "movies" :devil:

Or will you be gaming?

Anyhow, look Here.

The PCI sound card technology is used in older computers. Oh course, do some research, read some reviews, and compare prices, you don't need to spend $500 to get a decent sound card. I have integrated sound in my motherboard, and it is just as good as a sound card.

this is farther then hardcore gaming. if he does this hes just burning useless money when even 1 690 can do enough. if he had 2 or more monitors i would understand but still 1 690 can handle 2 monitors ok.

System in IDLE = 150 W

Or will you be gaming?

Anyhow, look Here.

just no...

2 690s is over FUCKING kill. 1 690 is enough to future proof yourself for like...a decade.

As for a sound card, if you're looking for something high end i'd grab this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102040

As for a case, if you have the money too grab a Cosmos II...its expensive but its just...amazing. Especially if you're thinking of doing a water cooling loop.

just no...

2 690s is over FUCKING kill. 1 690 is enough to future proof yourself for like...a decade.

As for a sound card, if you're looking for something high end i'd grab this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102040

As for a case, if you have the money too grab a Cosmos II...its expensive but its just...amazing. Especially if you're thinking of doing a water cooling loop.

Yeah, I wish I had that case lmao. but I honestly don't have enough money. And I think I'm going to end up selling both cards, because someone is offering me $900 for the GTX690 and $500 for the SSD.. So I think I might sell them and downgrade a little bit, because to be honest I'm not looking for something crazy. Just to have good FPS, and no lagg is all really.

Yeah, Its fucking overkill now, but I spend money on expensive computer stuff so I can have the computer last 10 years before I need to upgrade its parts.

Just to have good FPS, and no lagg is all really.

Then get a 570 or 580. They are great, and cheap compared to the 6XX series.