Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Computer Problem? o.O

Awkward

Yeah, so my grandfather is having an issue with his desktop, and I can't figure out what it is so I was wondering if some of you more tech savvy HG people could take a crack at it?

Grandfather is retired IBM software guy or something so he's stumped cuz it's a hardware problem

Story is:

He plugged in his cell phone to a USB port to charge the phone, and it nuked like 4 of his USB ports, and he told me ever since then the health of the computer has gone down hill from then

He tells me it takes 20-30 minutes to start up, hardrives are failing and all that good stuff.

Just wondering if theres a way to save it? I had no clue what to do.

I can provide specs if they're needed, I have to ask for them first though. It's a relatively old computer.

Kind of a vague description of the problem, but if someone has a general idea I can definitely find more info for them!

Thanks! :D

We're able to save what's on it that isn't a problem, is the computer as a whole savable? And idk what your last question is referencing because A. haven't had sleep in 24 hours and B. i prolly still don't know what that is because I'm not too good with computers myself.

You can try and save bits and pieces from the PC, going by what you've said, it seems like an old rig, and it is on the verge of dying. If the computer is dusty clean it, also try and take everything out and resit everything that can cause some problems, if none of these work, the computer is dying, save the hassle, and keep the data you need on a external HDD or even on the HDD and sort out another computer. Good luck :)

Honestly, given the bit of information you have given.. You have attempted to run and use the computer for far too long to officially save any of the parts from within side of it..

You can possibly save the Harddrive in the since of being able to use it again, but I wouldn't get my hopes of it being perfect, or in 'Good' use.. I would suggest getting a new computer, and HDD after removing everything you can form the current HDD..

What happens is when the device was plugged into the computer, and fired the ports, the shock from that port happens on the motherboard, and due to it being an electrical current, and seeing as the electrical cuts are so close together, the charge was strong enough to skip plates..

Therefore effected all hardware within the proximity of the current flows to the USB ports.. So, saving the computer as a whole is not going to happen..

Another useful tip... NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING ON A COMPUTER, unless it's an Ipod/Mouse etc..

NEVER charge a Cell phone.. EVEN IF ITS CAPABLE..

Tenguage, the last bit of advice isn't so true, I charge my Blackberry and iPhone through the USB ports on my Laptop and Computer, it has no problems. It may have possibly been a faulty USB Charging Cable (Possibly been damp or a bit of water damage). Also Tenguage is true in what he saying by getting a new HDD the HDD may well discharge at a later date in the new computer (causing risk of corruption in the personal files it contains). You can get a 80-120 GB for around ~$10-$20 now-a-days. The 1 TB I have in my Computer was around £60-£80 (I think) roughly estimating to USD $90-$120, a new Computer isn't that expensive to build nor is a pre-built computer! I can help find you a new computer/laptop if you like, give me your price range I will most certainly take a look.