Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Making a laptop purchase

Roley

Hey all,

For the last month or so, I have been stuck in a laptop shopper's purgatory; I know the kind of laptop I want, I just can't find it. Of course, the perfect laptop is something of a dream but hopefully with some help from you all, I can make that a bit more of a reality. To narrow all inquires down a bit, I'm looking for a laptop that can handle heavy gaming "ON THE GO," yet still remain student friendly. My laptop usage requires a decent battery life for extended word processing, power point-ing,...etc. but I also wish to plug her in and nerd out on BF3, Guild Wars 2, or any other beefcake of a game. As far as physical amenities: blue-ray would be nice, 15" or 17" screen, and something under or up to 7 pounds. Before I continue on about what I want, I'll tell you what I have. I'm currently using an ROG G75VW by ASUS. Don't get me wrong, I love the crap out of it from a gamer's stand point, but as a student it seems like a bit much. Such a computer fulfills its purpose as a "desktop replacer" but it sure isn't transport friendly. It's less of a physical burden than most competitors and performs at par or above others in its class, but it seems like more than I would need for my laptop use. AS far as battery goes when in student mode, or as ASUS software puts it, "quite office" mode, it gets 4 hours at best. For a gaming machine that's fantastic but being that my days range from 4-10 hours, it is not enough. I've looked at Alienware, MSi, Toshiba, HP, and even other ASUS laptops, but have yet to find a well reviewed product that fits the following: under a budget of $1500, over 4 hours of battery off plug, 15-17" screen, back-lit keyboard, blue-ray player, Nvidia graphics, i7 processor (i5 if necessary), and at least 2 USB 3.0 plugs. I realize that my hardware demands mean low batter life but hopefully somebody knows of a rare exception.

Any advice is welcome and if you think the G75 is the right computer, let me know as I may be over thinking all of this.

Thank you

I'd say http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230256

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834227045 whenever its back in stock.

The iBuyPower is obviously way better performance wise, but i'm sure it would be a little heavier and harder on the battery

Or for an extra $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230405 (i would pick this)

Really the BluRay drive is hard to find.

Edited by AnonyHorse

I think I have resolved my search. I'm sticking with my G75VW for the next two years, by then, I'll get a custom laptop from mythlogic.com which is only an inch thick, has 5 hours of battery life, and still a 17" screen with an i7 and GTX 675(+). I do appreciate the suggestions and would appreciate more.