Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

X-COM Enemy Unknown (due out October 9th for PC and Major Consoles)

Mathematik

Xcom_2.png

To some, this is what X-Com might mean to you. It's a very old school turn-based strategy combat game where every move could literally be your last. Death is permanent and your actions mean something. As a kid I knew this game was really cool, but I couldn't figure out why for the life of me. My brain wasn't developed enough to comprehend battle strategy I suppose. Now that I'm older and wiser I'm pleased to say that the new X-Com Enemy Unknown that is coming out is going to have to compete for my attention between it and Guild Wars 2. You can download the demo on Steam right now if you want to try it out, and I say give it a shot.

firaxis-XCOM_HR_Trainyard_011.jpg

Like I said before, this is a turn-based strategy game where you are in command of a team of super-elite soliders tasked with the sole purpose of defending Earth from extraterrestrial forces looking to destroy us and our planet. As the aptly named "Commander" you will not only dictate how battles go on the field, but give the go ahead for all research, autopsy, and building projects that will increase your technology levels and help be able to squash the alien threat globally. Balancing your time between countries and keeping everyone happy will be key as each country that is a part of the X-Com alliance will ask you to protect them, usually at the cost of others. From my limited time playing, the game seems very deep and very rewarding in an awesome single-player experience (no idea what multiplayer offerings there are, if any). I'm not sure if I'll pick this up for the PC or the PS3 yet, due to my laptop not being able to run it at the best of graphics, but we'll see.

Anyone else excited for this rebirth of a classic strategy franchise? Ever play the original back in the day?