Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

GPU problems

jajolt

So, I'm in the process of building a PC and I've run into a few problems...

Products in question-

AMD FX 6200 processor

AMD Sapphire Radeon 6850

GPU- when I did my external build, the fan was spinning. My CPU is faulty but I'll go into that later. I installed everything into the case, and it didn't spin. Everything else spun. So, I RMA'd it. Everything else spins, but the graphics card doesn't. It is seated correctly.

CPU- When I was first installing the CPU, I got it seated, and tried to put the fan on. It wasn't securing, and I was making sure it was on right. Finally, I stopped with the fan for that time and lifted it up, to find I bent some pins. I took it into a pc tech and they fixed the pins for me. I take it home, no BIOS. CPU is broken.

Please help me with the graphics card problem, included CPU info b/c idk if it has to do with that.

Thanks,

jajolt.

Check the slot itself. Make sure nothing is in it and that its secure.

Im sure there is more than one slot. Try a different won.

Is the cpu still broken? If it is that can also be the issue, id get that rmad first then do more testing.

Not another slot except 2 pci x2 and a pci x16 facing the other way. I'll take a picture if you want

Try it in another slot to see if it spins.

Try using another power adapter to rule out the power cable from the PSU.

If you do boot, do you get video output?

Try it in another slot to see if it spins.

Try using another power adapter to rule out the power cable from the PSU.

If you do boot, do you get video output?

I don't have another x16 slot. Will try the other connector tomorrow. I don't get video output from onboard either b/c no processor.

So- good news and bad news

Good news- Don't have to rma anything based on current evidence.

Bad news- I can't get it properly in the socket. What happens is the part that attaches to the case is preventing it from completely seating. As you can see, part is fully seated, then it gradually gets more unseated as you move up the connector until the end has no connection, this, is our problem.

gpusocket.jpg

Where is your problem? Lol, sorry if it sounds stupid but I am curious to know which end is getting unseated. Is the unseated end closer to the case attachment or is it on the ass end (furthest away from case attachment). I would try to not install the screw that holds it in. Push the video card in all the way then see if the front end (that attaches to case) is close to the screw hole. if the card doesn't seat all the way, is there something preventing it from being fully seated?

idk, just trying to help

Gonna break this apart cuz it's a lot of questions.

Where is your problem?

It won't seat all the way.

Lol, sorry if it sounds stupid

It's okay

but I am curious to know which end is getting unseated.

The end nearest the case attachment.

I would try to not install the screw that holds it in.

I haven't.

Push the video card in all the way then see if the front end (that attaches to case) is close to the screw hole.

It is touching.

if the card doesn't seat all the way, is there something preventing it from being fully seated?

No.

idk, just trying to help

I know lol

Thanks lol. Pull the card out and watch when you put it in. Is the "pin" on the front of the video card hitting on your mobo or the case somewhere, from my experience even the slightest burr will prevent it from sitting properly. the pins I am mentioning can be seen in my photo.

gpu_th.jpg

I had that same problem with my old ass GeForce 7300 GT's. It was getting hung up on the mobo and wouldn't be close enough to even put the screw in. I hope it helps.

got it! Had to unscrew the mobo, and then put it in, then rescrew. Killed 2 birds with one stone because I got the i/o shield on.

SOB!!! i took soo much time to find your gpu then paint on it with paint, then upload then attach and write that writing... and you fix it before I can write a solution... DAM IT!!!