Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Why Colorado is the best!

SuperChargerFan

ITT political commentary by pubescent males.

Might as well comment when it doesn't count =D

I'd look at this social mechanism/personal mechanism from an utility standpoint... what utility does it bring to the individual, the "family" (not necessarily the m/f/kids setup) and finally society. If there is more supporting evidence that it does greater utility in letting THC be legal, then there really shouldn't be any problem allowing it. (mind you special interest groups play a role in this too xD).

As far as I've read, although there are no significant negative immediate impacts on the individual, there are suggestions by multiple studies that THC plays a role in how functions in the amygdala and hippocampus are modulated/modified. Furthermore, THC has been noted to affect one's reaction time and awareness of situation on the road (herpaderp alcohol just fucks you over xD) (for example, they have a tendency to take curves too tightly or loosely). Finally, there has been a longitudinal study of 35 years showing that people that start smoking THC in adolescence loss about an average of 8 IQ points (which impacts, focus, intelligence (crystalised probably more so), attention and memory).

From a society's standpoint, if they choose to legalise it. They will have to also deal with any repercussions from legalising it as in... educating the public about its dangers (just like they do with smoking and alcohol), provide support for addicted users (don't give me the bullshit excuse that THC doesn't cause dependency, because it does... but not physiological dependency) so on and so forth.

I'm guessin' this would likely increase government spending (but probably would be a great cash cow). And finally, for comparison's sake, cannabis (THC) has a dependency lesser than cocaine, tobacco, alcohol and heroine BUT higher than LSD, mescaline, and psilocybin.

If society (government) thinks it's alright, that's their prerogative. One thing I do have to make a note: please don't shove it down the throats of people who don't give a fuck about marijuana or don't use it.

From a personal standpoint, I don't really see any personal utility myself in it. I've read that many of the positive side-effects can be helpful but I ask myself why?... I'm happy the way I am, I don't need a psychotropic to mess with how I feel and how I am. so then I reflect it to the users and say why do you use it?

As well, during my adolescent years I've spent a month or so in Unit 26 (a mental health ward) and my experience there do tell me as much as evidence suggests a correlation for mental health... there seems to be a large percentage of people that smoked marijuana now in the mental health ward for various psychological problems such as (you guessed it) depression, psychosis etc...

I was in for major depressive disorder <_<

I think it is up to societal and the individual what to think about the substance itself, but at the end of the day, this is the internet. Feel free to rage and baw because you know what, it doesn't matter. Our governments will do what they want unless people (that can actually vote) speak up.

I've said it before and I will say it again.

I love you herc :D

I remember discussing this with you on steam a long time ago and being glad you said all that back then, and I'm just as glad you are putting all that here now :)

EDIT:

JHaY3.jpg

Edited by kimzy

My opinion on the subject pretty much boils down to this; either ban alcohol, or legalize marijuana. There isn't an acceptable middle ground here. 99% of the arguments used to keep pot illegal are contrived double-talk of things that are also true of alcohol, or alcohol users, or malarkey outright.

Malarkey is now one of my favorite descriptors, post VP debate.