Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Getting RAM to Run at Native Speeds

LazaHorse

I recently bought 16 GB worth of the same RAM I was using before (8 GB initially) for a total of 24 GB. It wasn't running all 24 GB properly (the 8GB in the DDR slots 3 and 4 were being run as Hardware Reserved RAM), so I removed the 8 GB RAM sticks. However, now whenever I start my computer, the sticks are clocked at 1333 instead of their native 1866. I have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.0) mobo and a Sandy Bridge i5-2500k CPU. When I manually set the RAM back to XMP with an automatically chosen speed of 1866 and attempt to reboot, the computer powers down after a second of trying to boot back up, and then reboots with default CMOS settings (speed back down to 1333). It then gives me an error message in the Bios that says:

"The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltages. Last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states."

Any idea why the motherboard won't let me run the RAM at their native speeds? I know the mobo can run the speeds because as I said before I was using the exact same RAM for over a year without any problem (just 8 GB total instead of 16). I ran prime95 for 10 cycles and didn't get a single error, so I don't think the RAM is the problem.

Help me out?

Real.

My RAM is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233281&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

And yes the MOBO can run the speed at 1866. It also says it can support up to 32 GB of RAM with 64-bit Windows (I have win7 64bit). The change amounts to little more than upgrading from 8 to 16 GB (same model sticks with higher memory), but now the speed won't stay at native 1866.

Attached picture is the error message I get when I try to turn XMP on to force speed of the RAM to 1866 MHz. It fails to boot after 2 seconds, reboots with the RAM back at 1333, and gives me this error.

In other news, the sound card I won from HG a while ago works now. -.-

Real.

post-4618-13525955633374_thumb.jpg

It's a dual channel set up right?

Okay: try this set up in BIOS, your ram should be set at 1.5V, XMP @ 1866

However, the physical setup in the mobo itself should be setup as

From left to right:

0 1 2 3

¯¯¯¯¯¯

8 4 8 4

4 8 4 8

______

The first setup you should try just 8 B 8 B (B = missing or no RAM installed in the slot).

The second time try: 4 B 4 B

Motherboards can be very picky at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad RAM however like you said, you've tested it enough so I'll take that as a yes that it is not fault.

It's a dual channel set up right?

Okay: try this set up in BIOS, your ram should be set at 1.5V, XMP @ 1866

However, the physical setup in the mobo itself should be setup as

From left to right:

0 1 2 3

¯¯¯¯¯¯

8 4 8 4

4 8 4 8

______

The first setup you should try just 8 B 8 B (B = missing or no RAM installed in the slot).

The second time try: 4 B 4 B

Motherboards can be very picky at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad RAM however like you said, you've tested it enough so I'll take that as a yes that it is not fault.

When I get home later this evening I'll try playing with the RAM slots and see if it's just being picky with the RAM in each. Also, I read online of someone with the same mobo bending some pins in the RAM slots, and that leading to the same problem. I'm gonna look and see if any of the pins are misaligned/bent.

Real.

Edited by LazaHorse

I tested them individually, same error. I think it's just not gonna work with my mobo. I think the 8GB sticks are just asking for too much voltage to run at the native speed, and my mobo won't give it to them. I'd rather have 8GB @ 1866 than 16GB @ 1333 anyway. I'll probably return the 8GB sticks and buy two new 4GB (same exact ram) so I can just run a 4x4 16GB memory setup.

Real.

Edited by LazaHorse

I did check the QVL for your mobo, it wasn't on it but I'm surprised it doesn't work.

I've read that it is possible to have 8 GB/channel running <_<

Yeah neither stick is on the QVL, but the 4GB kit definitely is compatible. The QVL lacks higher capacity RAM kits.

Real.