Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Nas Not Appearing In Network (Win7)

Guest Batters

Guest Batters

I need some tech advice:) My family have a Network Attached Storage Device (http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/share/sharecenter/dns-320-2-bay-sharecenter-network-storage-enclosure) thing connected to our network. Normally if i clicked on Network in "My Computer" it would appear, but recently it hasnt been. Im still conneted to the same Internet and my family members still have access to it all the time. any idea how i could go about fixing this and any idea why i wouldnt be able to see it? Ive disabled my firewall, ensured network sharing is on (and file and printer sharing) and many other reasons suggested on various forums ive searched. If i type in its IP Address i also get access to it but not with it showing up in my network which is where i would normally access it from :s

any advice please say! need it to do a backup! :P

Has any additional software been installed such as firewalls or antiviral software?

Have you run any Microsoft updates lately? (you should be... O.o)

-----

You should also check that these services are available on your network settings:

'Client for Microsoft Networks'

'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks'

'Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver'

'Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder' (the bolded ones are most important)

-----

Make sure LLTD is enabled on your NAS. I have a 323 of your NAS and yeah... you need that on if you want it visible.

-----

Also are you using a homegroup?

Are you in a 'public' network, 'private' network or 'work' network.

----

Finally, you should try giving the NAS a static IP address (either by telling the DHCP server to lease the IP address on a monthly or yearly basis rather than a weekly or daily basis) OR hard-code it on the NAS.

See: http://www.manualowl.com/m/D-Link/DNS-323/Manual/156706

Page 40, it talks about LLTD and how it relates to LLTD on your computer