Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Should I Upgrade?

jajolt

I needed a laptop to travel with, just Internet, no games. Steam but only so I can talk to people. Essentially, I dug up my moms old Dell Inspiron 16000. From like 2003-2005 ish. Intel Celeron M @ 1.30 ghz and 504 mb of RAM. Tiny ass HDD (but I will restore bc there's only 3 gb of free space lol). And XP SP3.

I don't know anything about laptops and I'm afraid that if I open it up I might fuck up.

But if all goes well I have a faster sloth than before haha.

So, basically, is the stuff listed above okay for daily computing on today's standards?

EDIT: HDD is 37 gb o.o

Edited by jajolt

I needed a laptop to travel with, just Internet, no games. Steam but only so I can talk to people. Essentially, I dug up my moms old Dell Inspiron 16000. From like 2003-2005 ish. Intel Celeron M @ 1.30 ghz and 504 mb of RAM. Tiny ass HDD (but I will restore bc there's only 3 gb of free space lol). And XP SP3.

I don't know anything about laptops and I'm afraid that if I open it up I might fuck up.

But if all goes well I have a faster sloth than before haha.

So, basically, is the stuff listed above okay for daily computing on today's standards?

EDIT: HDD is 37 gb o.o

A RAM upgrade would be ideal, other than that you should be fine from a general computing standpoint.

A RAM upgrade would be ideal, other than that you should be fine from a general computing standpoint.

Do you think the HDD needs replacing? Basically installing:

Steam

Google Chrome

GIMP

TS3

Microsoft Office

Camera Shit

iTunes

Quicktime

Etc and by the time thats done I have half or more of my HDD taken up.. But I'm asking you because I don't know lol

Do you think the HDD needs replacing? Basically installing:

Steam

Google Chrome

GIMP

TS3

Microsoft Office

Camera Shit

iTunes

Quicktime

Etc and by the time thats done I have half or more of my HDD taken up.. But I'm asking you because I don't know lol

I would suggest doing so. 37gb is not enough. xD

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely upgrade the hard drive and RAM. I've got an old Gateway laptop (before the tri-defecta of E-Machine/Acer/Gateway) that I watch Netflix on at night. Does fantastically well for that even though it's running XP on an old Centrino Duo with 2 GB RAM. Other than that, it sounds fine for just puttering about on the web.

It's not that hard to open up a laptop; just use your common sense (plus ground yourself by touching grounded metal/getting an antistatic wriststrap) and you should be fine. While you have it opened up, clean out the dust with a nice compressed air can. As others above me have said, upgrading your ram and that HDD will make this entirely usable.