Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Physics

xafizzle

I majored in Physics. I'm graduating in May. I also hate Physics. I'm going to law school

I dun get. Why not major in business or poli-sci or something related to law? I know physics is a really good field to major in but not for law. And did you like it at one point then start to dislike it?

I dun get. Why not major in business or poli-sci or something related to law? I know physics is a really good field to major in but not for law. And did you like it at one point then start to dislike it?

I'm also a poli sci double. I started as Physics, realized I didn't like it, and added a 2nd major during sophomore year. Also, Physics majors have the highest average LSAT score of any major (tied with Mathematics). My background in physics really helped with the logic games, far more than anything I learned in poli sci.

Thats why I like it. It really makes problem solving so much easier.

I had a similar falling out with comp sci. I thought it was what I loved but after learning more about it and taking classes in it, I realized it just wasn't for me.

So since there's no science board, I guess I'm posting in general.

Anyway, I really love physics and it's definitely what I want to do with my life and I'm wondering if there's any other physics buffs in HG. Anyone out there?

says the guy that threatened to mute me when i was talking about sound waves. K.

anyways fizics makes me have boners, and engineering makes me flacid, nuff said.

Edited by Cookie

says the guy that threatened to mute me when i was talking about sound waves

talking is different than arguing nonstop for 15 minutes.

Anyway, does anyone like electrostatics? Cause after 3 or so years of physics, I'm finally starting to get into it whereas before I could only understand kinematics and energy and things like that.

Well I'm just starting to get in depth with RC circuits and time constants and I think that's pretty cool. And particle accelerators and all that jazz. I've hated that stuff in previous years but now that I'm finally starting to get to a level where the problems I work on are things that would happen in real life, as opposed to problems where reality is altered to make it an easier problem, I think it's pretty fun.

Well I'm just starting to get in depth with RC circuits and time constants and I think that's pretty cool. And particle accelerators and all that jazz. I've hated that stuff in previous years but now that I'm finally starting to get to a level where the problems I work on are things that would happen in real life, as opposed to problems where reality is altered to make it an easier problem, I think it's pretty fun.

Warning you, dielectrics ruin what makes electrostatics fun by taking easy integrals and turning them into mini-Hitlers.

Well I guess I'm still getting baby'd then cause dielectrics seem really simple. Just a constant you throw next to Eo and thats it. There were a couple of things I was wondering though, like how do you find the RC of a capacitor if there's more than one capacitor in the circuit? And the capacitors can't be combined. Because you can't treat the other capacitor as an open or a short and I have no idea how you'd model it with an exponential if thats what you're supposed to do.

Well I guess I'm still getting baby'd then cause dielectrics seem really simple. Just a constant you throw next to Eo and thats it. There were a couple of things I was wondering though, like how do you find the RC of a capacitor if there's more than one capacitor in the circuit? And the capacitors can't be combined. Because you can't treat the other capacitor as an open or a short and I have no idea how you'd model it with an exponential if thats what you're supposed to do.

Capacitors in series act more or less like the same capacitor but with reciprocal sum capacitance (i.e. 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn). Parallel capacitors are simply treated as the sum of capacitances. So if the circuit allows you to make those hops (can't do it if say a resistance is applied across one capacitor but not across another capacitor that is in parallel), it makes Kirchoff's Loop Rule a lot easier. Haven't done electrostatics in so long, that I don't remember how to treat finding the RC constant when you can't simplify to equivalent capacitors.

Capacitors in series act more or less like the same capacitor but with reciprocal sum capacitance (i.e. 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn). Parallel capacitors are simply treated as the sum of capacitances. So if the circuit allows you to make those hops (can't do it if say a resistance is applied across one capacitor but not across another capacitor that is in parallel), it makes Kirchoff's Loop Rule a lot easier. Haven't done electrostatics in so long, that I don't remember how to treat finding the RC constant when you can't simplify to equivalent capacitors.

i'm EE, you just write differential equations for the circuit on the order of how many capacitors and/or inductors you have in the circuit using the voltage/current relations of the two. there's a much better shortcut method though in EE which uses the steady state, thevenin resistance, and t->infinity state to find the RC (or R/L) time constant and the coefficient of the exponential and any additional term. but it all comes down to differential equations if you have more than 1