Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

$1,500 Pc Build, Opinions Wanted.

Vice

I would like to know what YOU guys would do if you were me if you were going to do a $1,500 PC build. I'm going to be doing a build for that price this summer and I will take everybody's opinions into consideration when I pick my parts.

1. Budget

$1,500

2. Brand preferences

I like AMD and Nvidia for GPU's, but I prefer the aesthetics of Nvidia cards.

3. What do you plan to do with the machine?

This is going to be a gaming rig that I would like also like to be able to stream from but that's not priority. I will be gaming on a 1920x1080@60hz single monitor setup but will want to add a second monitor later for misc. tasks but not dual screen gaming.

4. Is there a place where you'd like to get the parts from?

Amazon

5. What parts (if any) do you have already that you don't need upgraded?

Monitor,mouse,keyboard.

6. Do you plan to overlock?

CPU yes, GPU yes.

7. Do you have an OS (e.g. Windows) that you can use for this computer?

No but don't include OS in the price I will get that separately.

I would also like to make my machine match color schemes and look nice :P

Thank you to anybody who takes the time to give me their input, it would really help me =]

If you're going to be ordering from amazon make sure to get the actual products and new ones. Not refurbs or anything. Newegg is where I got my parts from so I highly suggest them over amazon. I haven't heard anything bad from them but not anything good either... So just try and keep your wits about you. Color matching wont be that hard, I suggest Nvidia for Gpu, cool and performance is good depending. Streaming is highly dependent on internet speed and cpu ability I believe. You wont need an i7 unless rendering video but maybe streaming or recording.I5 3570k is a good Cpu and overclockable. Look for reviews on Amazon or Newegg and decide if the parts are good. Airflow for your case is also a good thing to have. I have a nice large case with 8 fans and that gives me the temps I like.

I was looking at a corsair carbide 500r and I was going to add some NZXT 140MMs to it. I think I have a good build for me I just wanted to see some parts that other people like and what other people prioritize in their budget

Edited by Vice

ill throw a build together on newegg. ill post it here when i'm done.

here you go 5161840d392ab.png

Now there are a few extras in here that you really don't need. I put the extra heatsink cause its a pretty solid cooler for the price and keeps temps low enough to moderately OC. I also added 16 gb of ram, a little over board but i figured you're putting 1500 bucks into a computer why not. If you don't feel you need it just grab 8 instead, thats what I run and its fine.

Edited by Anonymau5
  • Like 1

Nice build Anonymau5, I might switch arround the case and take out the SSD so I have some cash for a better cooler but other then that it's a solid build. I'll take that into thought when I'm buying my parts.

Nice build Anonymau5, I might switch arround the case and take out the SSD so I have some cash for a better cooler but other then that it's a solid build. I'll take that into thought when I'm buying my parts.

Keep in mind the clearance factor when choosing a case and heatsink. ^_^

Also, you will want the LP (low profile) Vengeance RAM if you're going with a large tower style cooler as the large fins on the RAM will not clear the heatsink.

Edited by ^TheRumor^

uh, i dont think that h100 will fit in a mid tower case dude. you might want to do a bit more thinking on your build. unless you're doing some crazy overclocking that loop really isn't necessary. it'll be maybe 5-10 degrees cooler than the 212 for 3 times the cost. also the 670 ftw is just the same as the card i posted but OCed a tiny bit and a fan thrown on. its a good card but even great companies like evga have gimmicks :P

also im curious what power supply you are going with

Edited by Anonymau5

I watched a review for the 500r and it has a cut out thats perfect size for the h100 (and other 240mm radiator coolers) since its maid by corsair :D And I do plan on OCing my cpu as far as I can with it being stable. And as posted above I went with a seasonic x750 gold for PSU. The 670 FTW Sig 2 is just a perfect style for my build and it has a better cooler then the reference designs. I didn't go with a SSD because I didn't have enough money after I put that money in other places like a better mobo. I will end up getting a SSD in the future though since the prices are going down. The other CPU cooler I had looked at was this

http://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Heat-pipes-Premium-Patented-PH-TC14PE_BK/dp/B007ZZE63A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365387130&sr=8-1&keywords=phanteks+cpu+cooler

That is a good CPU cooler from the reviews and it fits my color scheme.

thats not really serious haha.

you could easily hit 4.5 with a hyper 212 and still have room to play. when you start pushing 5 is when the temps start pushing up, but i haven't had a lot of experience with ivy's so branflake will have to comment on that bit.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18290/ex-wat-242/

The only all in one I recommend (if you find it in stock somewhere let me know), but should fit your theme perfectly. Other All in one units are made by companies with no real WC experience, but swiftech is definitely experienced haha.

Also I recommend a full tower. You seem like your gonna be really into your pc and I would hate for you to make the same mistake i did. I first got a mid tower and then after a month of constantly fiddling with the parts inside I said fuck this and got a full tower. SOOOOOOO much better.

I recommend the switch (best cooling in the game for under 200)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146094 Comes in white glossy, black glossy and gunmetal (linked) best case for the price, the white and black theme is perfect for it.

Easily do a push pull config on the top (supports shit loads of radiators)

But like mouse said you "should" be able to get your chip to around 4.8 on the h100, or hyper 212 evo. Please be advised, just because many people have gotten there chips past 4.5ghz does not guarantee that your will. Nothing in overclocking is guaranteed so don't be heart broken if you don't get the speed you want.

Like I said Anonymau5 I would push it as far as I could and be stable. and Bran I looked up some stuff about that case and I really like it, a bit more expensive but I think I can muster up the money for it. And yeah each chip is different and not everybody gets the same results when they OC. Thanks for the input guys, really helping me out :D