Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need New Router...

Magic

As you can see by the title I am in dire need of a new router. My current one can just not get done for me with the amount of the electronics and my connection failing on me to often. I am pretty sure a lot of you have seen this happen to me on ts3 and in-game as of late. Basically I am looking for a good, efficient router that can distribute to multiple devices and still not cause me to lose connection and have super high pings. Lets just say we have multiple cell phone devices, game systems, ipads, etc... all being used while I am playing. Try to keep withing $100 range.

Thanks,

Magic

Edited by Magic

I have tried a number of routers and my current one as of the past year is a airport express. It offers duel band networking and can handle quite a few devices without slowing down. Truthfully I have tried a ton of others and most usually start crapping out around the third device added. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station?fnode=4d I'm not sure if you are a mac person or not or if you completely despise apple products. I prefer this, its what I use and it works.

Side note; when I use a wired connection and connect to a local Houston server my ping is around 5-8 when I use wireless over 5ghz at mid range I have 8-20 ping usually hovering around the 15-17 range. But it rarely goes over.

Have a good one.

I have tried a number of routers and my current one as of the past year is a airport express. It offers duel band networking and can handle quite a few devices without slowing down. Truthfully I have tried a ton of others and most usually start crapping out around the third device added. http://store.apple.c...tation?fnode=4d I'm not sure if you are a mac person or not or if you completely despise apple products. I prefer this, its what I use and it works.

Side note; when I use a wired connection and connect to a local Houston server my ping is around 5-8 when I use wireless over 5ghz at mid range I have 8-20 ping usually hovering around the 15-17 range. But it rarely goes over.

Have a good one.

Yeah wired won't really work for me due to the location of the router and my computer, but thanks. I have looked at the linksys e4200. Dualband N-Wireless Router. Any good?

my suggestion is don't get a Belkin... I've had two in the past year and sometimes it can't handle all of the devices at once and the internet will cut off completely. not to mention how much of a pain in the ass it is to turn it back on to make it work again since there is a specific sequence of the buttons you press on the router itself

Just another thing to point out. The router would go in the basement and my computer is on the third floor so I also need one with good range.

Look for a range extender if you want too, how many walls is the signal going to go through? How many other devices will be on the other floors in between?

I'm not strongly akin to any brands (since Linksys self-destructed lol).

Among the floors, you need to take into account the types of devices.

Consider this setup:

2 laptops (802.11g, 802.11n respectively)

2 desktops (10/100, 10/100/1000 respectively)

1 cellphone (802.11b)

1 smartphone (802.11n)

Routers will AUTOMATICALLY slow itself down to the device with the lowest wifi speed. So if you have a 802.11b device in your house (this luckily won't happen with new devices), your entire WLAN network slows down to 11 Mbps.

Don't just take into consideration the distance. Also take into consideration the devices... newer wifi routers luckily will run on the 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz bands which is good for most people however there are old devices that still interfere with the proper operation of wifi: e.g. old microwaves, CRT TVs and the occasional concrete/steel wall.

To put this into perspective, if you're looking at something under 100$.... don't expect these crazy features.

I've always had luck with the new WD

As for the whole range booster, you don't really need it in a SOHO/home environment... unless you have a very wide house or living arrangement.

I'm not strongly akin to any brands (since Linksys self-destructed lol).

Among the floors, you need to take into account the types of devices.

Consider this setup:

2 laptops (802.11g, 802.11n respectively)

2 desktops (10/100, 10/100/1000 respectively)

1 cellphone (802.11b)

1 smartphone (802.11n)

Routers will AUTOMATICALLY slow itself down to the device with the lowest wifi speed. So if you have a 802.11b device in your house (this luckily won't happen with new devices), your entire WLAN network slows down to 11 Mbps.

Don't just take into consideration the distance. Also take into consideration the devices... newer wifi routers luckily will run on the 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz bands which is good for most people however there are old devices that still interfere with the proper operation of wifi: e.g. old microwaves, CRT TVs and the occasional concrete/steel wall.

To put this into perspective, if you're looking at something under 100$.... don't expect these crazy features.

I've always had luck with the new WD

As for the whole range booster, you don't really need it in a SOHO/home environment... unless you have a very wide house or living arrangement.

Ok lets say bottom floor we have 1 smartphone and a macbook pro. Second floor we have 2 smartphones and a ipad and on the 3rd floor we have my desktop and another smartphone.

I have this router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

I have desktop on the first floor then 5 smart phones and an iPad that roam the house along with a laptop that goes from 1st to 3rd floor and my desktop which is connected via powerline wiring and it works pretty nice. I use the 5GHZ signal on my phone which makes it even better.

I looked at the WD N900 and that seems to get good reviews from what i've seen. And youthedog, wouldn't you want the 5 ghz for the desktop and the 2.4 for the phone?

Edited by Magic

I looked at the WD N900 and that seems to get good reviews from what i've seen. And youthedog, wouldn't you want the 5 ghz for the desktop and the 2.4 for the phone?

Well my computers are all old and my desktop isn't on wireless, it's connected with powerline networking which is nice. My GS3 and the iPad in the house are the only ones that can use the 5GHZ so it's pretty nice.