Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help Me

Trolling Pictures

Hey guys, some of u may know this... but i have torn my ACL and meniscus in october 2012 during a basketball game. I had an MRI confirming my ligament tears as well. The 3 options the doctors gave me were for me to get surgery, use a brace, dont use anything and no more sports. I am currently 16 years old and honestly i dont know my passion but i love sports. And the 2 i mainly play is basketball and waterpolo. I cant do the eggbeater technique with my right leg in the water anymore at a speed high enough to tread water. I cant play waterpolo anymore and If i play basketball i can reinjure myself and tear other ligaments. I am currently leaning towards surgery but I would love to get ur guys/girls opinions on this.

Stats about surgery:

The rate of success is 85-90%

9-12 months recovery

Complete reconstructive surgery, so what happens is that they completely shave off all ACL ligaments left and remove a Tendon from my leg. From there they would graph it and drill 2 holes through my bones and insert it through there.

Thanks.

Hey guys, some of u may know this... but i have torn my ACL and meniscus in october 2012 during a basketball game. I had an MRI confirming my ligament tears as well. The 3 options the doctors gave me were for me to get surgery, use a brace, dont use anything and no more sports. I am currently 16 years old and honestly i dont know my passion but i love sports. And the 2 i mainly play is basketball and waterpolo. I cant do the eggbeater technique with my right leg in the water anymore at a speed high enough to tread water. I cant play waterpolo anymore and If i play basketball i can reinjure myself and tear other ligaments. I am currently leaning towards surgery but I would love to get ur guys/girls opinions on this.

Stats about surgery:

The rate of success is 85-90%

9-12 months recovery

Complete reconstructive surgery, so what happens is that they completely shave off all ACL ligaments left and remove a Tendon from my leg. From there they would graph it and drill 2 holes through my bones and insert it through there.

Thanks.

Had a very similar situation when I was 16. Injured my shoulder (3 minor labral tears) got them fixed no problem. Continued to wakeboard every weekend just 5 months after surgery and after completing PT. Adjusted it wrong while doing so and dislocated it. Had to have another surgery since I tore the labral anchors out and was at risk to dislocated my bicep entirely. (shoulder would roll in and out of socket constantly).

After being mad and annoyed about having to make the decision to live with the retard arm or having surgery never wakeboarding again, I decided that I needed to go through with the surgery (full reconstruction, 5 anchors, switching of muscles and a shiny bolt). I am still very sad that I can't wakeboard or throw a baseball, but I am ok with it. If i did not get this done then when I get older it would just get worse and worse and one day I wouldn't be able to do basic task.

You may love basketball and waterpolo now, but I guarantee you that you will not be able to do it competitively for the rest of your life with a messed up knee. Think about the long term benefits. It may seem hard or not fair, but it will lead you to a more healthy life.

Have the surgery, COMPLETE YOUR PT, and find something new (gym, photography, cycling, professional handstander)

Even after your surgery, stay away from things that your doc says you shouldn't do. It is not worth having to go through it again. I have seen many people with ACL injuries try to pick back up where they started after they complete PT and it never ends well or they have issues later in life.

Hope this helped.

Get surgery, it's your best choice and you'll get a sports brace to play. I'm at 9 months and back playing soccer and working out, the first 6 months will be a bitch with therapy and not being able to play or really do anything physical related but in the end it's worth it. I had the type of surgery where they take part of my hamstring to rebuild my ACL. In the end it'll be worth it instead of having to worry about it the rest of your life and tearing it later in life and never being able to walk correctly again.

I had ACL reconstruction when I was 16. Took 6 months off before going back to hockey. Bit of a lag but back to nor.al shortly after that. Still joined the army after to Fuck it up more and for that, I am retard. Now I can't run more than 200m without my knee seizing up bit not because of the surgury. Just know your limits after until your good.