Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Degroot Keep Hacks

Avenol

Howdy Hellsgamers,

This is my first post here and sadly, it's a complaint. Not a complaint about your services or anything just on particular server. Your TF2 Degroot Keep Server. I play on there quite often and last night 7/23/2013 at around 6-9pm I was getting DoS attacks. My internet would completely blow out, netstat really didn't show any UDP activity it was all looking like tcp so I dunno what's going on. I understand these things happen sometime on steam when kids rage but it appears that it has followed me out of game.My wife has been complaining about internet latency and complete deadlocks.

I've been trying to run netstat in cmd, along with watching my router logs but I cannot seem to pinpoint who is doing it. I contacted my ISP but we use magicjack so it was rather frustrating. I'm just curious if there is an admin on this server that can give me any information from that time frame? I've been noticing a lot of latency when particular players log on but I don't have to tools or knowledge at the moment to handle them. I'm a seasoned programmer but my networking skills are in the dumps =(. Thanks for any information on this and could we please get someone to monitor this for us.

Also any information on how to better educated myself on this would be great as well.

I'm just an old hippy programmer I'm too old to keep up with you kids in the wilds of the internet.

Edited by Avenol

Howdy Hellsgamers,

This is my first post here and sadly, it's a complaint. Not a complaint about your services or anything just on particular server. Your TF2 Degroot Keep Server. I play on there quite often and last night 7/23/2013 at around 6-9pm I was getting DoS attacks. My internet would completely blow out, netstat really didn't show any UDP activity it was all looking like tcp so I dunno what's going on. I understand these things happen sometime on steam when kids rage but it appears that it has followed me out of game.My wife has been complaining about internet latency and complete deadlocks.

I've been trying to run netstat in cmd, along with watching my router logs but I cannot seem to pinpoint who is doing it. I contacted my ISP but we use magicjack so it was rather frustrating. I'm just curious if there is an admin on this server that can give me any information from that time frame? I've been noticing a lot of latency when particular players log on but I don't have to tools or knowledge at the moment to handle them. I'm a seasoned programmer but my networking skills are in the dumps =(. Thanks for any information on this and could we please get someone to monitor this for us.

Also any information on how to better educated myself on this would be great as well.

I'm just an old hippy programmer I'm too old to keep up with you kids in the wilds of the internet.

Well here is the thing, while I don't doubt you are having issues with your connection, it isn't as a result from playing on any of our servers. Your IP or any connection information, besides your Steam ID, isn't exposed to other players that are connecting to the server. Any attacks would be directed at the game server's IP rather than your own, and certainly wouldn't be able to follow you out of game. If you believe you are receiving (D)DOS attacks, simply inform your ISP and they should be able to assign you another IP, if they don't I would seriously consider switching services because that has become the standard procedure pretty much everywhere. Furthermore, if this is the case it is a result of you exposing your IP elsewhere off of the gameserver and it is simply a coincidence or your just connecting dots that aren't there when it comes to specific players connecting. And, once again, another player's latency doesn't effect you because all players connect to the gameserver and don't connect peer-to-peer.

The tl;dr of this, is pretty much just tell your ISP your having a problem. Because there isn't anything we can do for you on our end.

Thanks Papa John! I'll have to borrow a phone and do that sure appreciate it. Yea I didn't think it was due to HellsGamers server I just knew it happened while I was on Degroot map and maybe a log might have shown something suspicious going on. Thanks for the swift reply. Love the servers keep up the good works guys!

Yea, I tried all that I even set my configurations manually and that didn't work. It seems to be on TCP though, think my only course of action is to talk to my ISP. I's not a Hellsgamers issue and I apologize if I came off that way. Since it happens outside of game it has to be coming from a different source. I'm going to be issuing new security SOP's to family on computer use(they will love this). We'll see how things go, when your family is funning 5 different machines and multiple other devices its hard to pin point these issues. I'm going to tighten everything up though and leave a honey pot for information to pass to my ISP. Thanks Everyone, thanks Hellsgamers!

Edited by Avenol