Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Rugby?

Bellows

Does anyone here play rugby?

Truthfully, I have never played a sport that I actually choose myself. I played basketball for a year and I was super duper horrible at it, and I considered swimming but I'm really self-conscious about my speed and body in general. I don't consider myself to be athletic but I want to at least try something before high school ends for me - So I willingly chose rugby.

I don't know much about it other than some of the positions everyone gets in when starting a match. From what I remember from watching my friends play, I think you're only supposed to throw it sideways or backwards. I'm clueless about most of the rules though and I'm a bit nervous about how hard the practice is (I can take a hit, though I don't know my limit ._.).

So anyways, if anyone here plays, do you have any possible tips or suggestions for a beginner? Like I said, rugby would be the first sport I would join willingly. I'm extremely nervous but I hope it all turns out well. Thanks for any advice if any!

Depends on the style you're playing, rugby union or league?

I've played and watched union for the part of my life so I can help you out there

It's a school sponsored sport but I'm pretty sure it's like Rugby Union. I should probably mention that I'm a girl, so maybe the differences between male and female rugby teams and how they play out are similar or different. Not sure, I've only seen one male-team play in my life.

It's a school sponsored sport but I'm pretty sure it's like Rugby Union. I should probably mention that I'm a girl, so maybe the differences between male and female rugby teams and how they play out are similar or different. Not sure, I've only seen one male-team play in my life.

they're both played the same.

Mate come talk to me, I am the rugby man, in the first XV for my school which happens to be the best rugby school in England, just one the daily mail cup twice in a row.

If you ever need a chat about it be sure to hit me up, be glad to help you about the sport, ignore these ameteurs ;)

(oh i also play 7s rugby which has recently become an olympic sport!)

Edited by GoldenRuski

You should pick a position given the way you're body is, if you are wide and strong you might want to be in the scrum.

If you are light and fast and you give good passes you are either 1st/2nd centre

If you like giving passes then pick scrumhalf or fly.

Considering it's highschool they'll probably put you in a position where your body type fits. If you're skinny and fast you'll be in the back running the ball. If you're a bit thicker skinned and can take a hit, you'll be in the scrums most likely as a prop or hooker if you've got long legs.

Probably sounds pretty weird, but those are the terms. Hooker is the person in the middle of the scrum that grabs the ball with their feet for the team, and kicks it backwards. Props support the hooker on either side whilst pushing up against the other team. Its a fuckin rough sport so get ready physically. You'll be taking a lot of shoulder and neck pressure if you're a prop as I was in high school.

Edited by Anonymau5