Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Ping Incredibly High In Tf2.

jajolt

My normal ping is around 58 but recently and all the time it is upwards of 290 in tf2. In CSS it is slightly better at the low 100's.

Servers are still located in the same spot

Wireless drivers are updated

I sit less than 7 feet away from my router (across the room)

Windows is fine

Wireless card works and loads web pages lightning fast

No one in my house uses anything too bandwidth heavy and neither them nor I run torrent programs.

Yet somehow my speedtest result is shitty as fuck..

2918043789.png

Any help?

I dont know what kind of living-situation you live in, but in my old house I had this problem randomly because i was the last house on the street and our internet was coming from as far as it possibly could, i had to call my ISP and get a internet 'amp' installed and it fixed it. (my shit also randomly went from perfect to 300 for like a week).

I dont know what kind of living-situation you live in, but in my old house I had this problem randomly because i was the last house on the street and our internet was coming from as far as it possibly could, i had to call my ISP and get a internet 'amp' installed and it fixed it. (my shit also randomly went from perfect to 300 for like a week).

I do live at the end of a street and that might be it, so I'll have to call and find out or something. Also, running a virus scan overnight. Thanks guys.

I do live at the end of a street and that might be it, so I'll have to call and find out or something. Also, running a virus scan overnight. Thanks guys.

Restart your modem/router and don't be like Frodo who blamed me that I didn't know his modem had a battery back in it and it didn't restart.

Also it could be that your neighbors are stealing your internet bandwidth. This is what happens when you are on a copper line that runs through everybody's house instead of a direct line.

Virus Scan Results:

Ran with avast. No infected files found, but a shit ton of things couldn't be scanned, and i assume thats not good..

YcOiN72.png

ZiO5ArM.png

xYqBOup.png

b7UkWHg.png

My neighborhood is fairly new and I doubt it runs on copper, but I'll find out.

After the restart, my ping is still really high in game. However, my speedtest came out MUCH better.

2919852151.png

• Executive Council

Check pingtest.net, ping test will tell you your overall connection quality (also by ookla, who does speedtest) If it is a poor line quality (b-ish or less) I'd say check with you ISP, reset modem and router (if you didn't as was suggested). I've seen Cable routers that are starting to die so they drop packets randomly. If your connection seems normal, web pages consistently load without issue, you could try defragging, cleaning up unused files with Window's Disk Cleanup. This will just help everything run smoothly from disk, IE there was a big update to TF2 and it is scattered across the disk. Lastly, it could just be new neighbors, as was suggested. It is the time of year that if you live in a college town, all the students are moving in and sucking up the internet. I see you on Time Warner. Cable network topologies work in such a way that you're basically sharing a given amount of bandwidth with your neighbors, street, or even neighborhood. If you're on during peak hours, you could see a huge difference in your speed, and therefore your ping. Hope that helps.

i would enable net_graph in both games and screen shot them. Post them here as it might be more specific to the HL2 world than what people are suggesting.

If I were to keep the problem within the application domain, I would assume that there might have been a network/system configruation system specific to HL2 (maybe both CSS and TF2).

Next thing to do after you get that down, I would suggest backing up your config files and doing a fresh config for your games. This will rule out any possible application-specific issues (or potential conflicts).

I do not suspect it is your ISP unless they start throttling ports (which some ISPs could be doing with BitTorrent but I think that is more specific to the type of traffic rather than the protocol).

Port Forwarding is used to actually improve the chances (~100%) of connection not necessarily the reliability of connection.

Most routers will drop unsolicited packets at unsolicited ports so in the case where if his game server is trying to make a request by sending packets to e.g. port 27015 and ti's not active. The amount of packets 'not received' will not change. However, if he port forwards, the amount of packets 'not received' will veer towards zero.

• Executive Council

A couple more questions:

Is your high ping specific to a specific TF2 server? Try 3-4 and see if any of them improve. While the server itself may not have changed, the network route to them may have changed. Your ISP may have stopped a contract with a backbone that gave you better routing to the server itself, therefore increasing your travel time to it.

If that has shown no difference, I would safely say you've eliminated it down to differences between CS:S and TF2. As enigma# mentioned, your could have issues with TF2 config, or have corrupted files within the game install. If you feel like investing a couple hours in this, remove TF2 content in steam, and re-install it. You'll lose all of the maps, skins, sounds, etc you've downloaded from various maps, so initial connection times may be higher to some servers, but it will eliminate the possibility that there is a application/software difference between TF2 and CS:S.