Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Psu And Gpu Question.

Kalron

So in my travels on the internet I have discovered what might seem to be obvious. I've learned that the motherboard does not have the PSU limit which I previously thought existed. According to the internet, I could essentially just put in a higher PSU for a new graphics card. Is that true?

I have a GT 630 right now which is a bonerkill. I want to put in a GTX 660 TI. I have PCIe slots but I do not know how many. I haven't looked in my PC yet, but I can if it is necessary.

I guess the overall question is:

Can I put in a 450 Watt PSU and the GPU without worrying about much else other than the type of plugs the PSU has and the size of my GPU slots?

-Sincerely,

Your neighborhood noob: Kalron

Yes, depending on the PSU brand, some cheap PSU will say 600w but only deliver 300w. A 430W Corsair PSU could run a 680 fine so it should be able to run a 660 TI no problem. My brother is currently running the same setup(430W PSU with a 660ti). You can get a Corsair CX430 usually from newegg for 40 bucks + a 20$ rebate so 20$ when its all said and done. GPU are really power efficient now, the only time you really have to worry is if youre going to be running SLI.

just message me if you need any help but I do highly recommend the Corsair CX430 for a budget PSU if youre just going to be running a 660ti

Edited by _DucK

would the same be said for a GTX 560TI?

I would like to run it SLI (I got two for free) but its not necessary at this point, I have looked on newegg, and ASUS power supply calculator, and not looking to fry anything as I got this whole setup for free basically (thanks to a friend)

Below is my system specs

[spoiler=System Specs]I7 - 930

High End Motherboard (P8Z77-V Deluxe)

24gigs of ram (6 sticks all together)

1 GTX 560ti (would like to SLI with the other) (running an HD 6670 right now)

2 Internal 1TB HDDs

1 External 1TB HDD

4 USB devices (mouse/keyboard/360 controller/Speakers [can remove])

And Fans (dont remember the exact ammount)

Edited by skoty

would the same be said for a GTX 560TI?

I would like to run it SLI (I got two for free) but its not necessary at this point, I have looked on newegg, and ASUS power supply calculator, and not looking to fry anything as I got this whole setup for free basically (thanks to a friend)

Below is my system specs

[spoiler=System Specs]I7 - 930

High End Motherboard (P8Z77-V Deluxe)

24gigs of ram (6 sticks all together)

1 GTX 560ti (would like to SLI with the other) (running an HD 6670 right now)

2 Internal 1TB HDDs

1 External 1TB HDD

4 USB devices (mouse/keyboard/360 controller/Speakers [can remove])

And Fans (dont remember the exact ammount)

Thats a 1155 mobo and your cpu is 1366.

I am trying to answer your question just need the right info first :P

What psu is in it currently?

550w

The 560ti is an older generation GPU which requires alot more power than the 660ti. Its one of the reason why the 560ti has two PCI-e connectors on the card instead of one like the 660ti.

For the 560ti you will need at least a 650w PSU if you plan on running the 560ti at stock speed, however if you overclock it then you will need a 750w power supply. You would need a powersupply that has 4 PCI-e connector plugs to power both your 560ti. Make sure it is a good brand as well! I usually go with corsair, seasonic, or OCZ

System in IDLE = 201W

System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W

These are the specs for the 560ti in SLI. As you can see your GPU running SLI would draw 449w alone at full GPU usage. Add in the proccessor, ram, cd drivers, and etc and you would need 600+W to run your entire rig stably in SLI .

Edited by _DucK

Anyone also tell him he shouldn't stick it on the same rail LOL

LoL wouldn't it be on different rails if I used two different 12v rails? One PCI connector on both rails?

The 560ti is an older generation GPU which requires alot more power than the 660ti. Its one of the reason why the 560ti has two PCI-e connectors on the card instead of one like the 660ti.

For the 560ti you will need at least a 650w PSU if you plan on running the 560ti at stock speed, however if you overclock it then you will need a 750w power supply. You would need a powersupply that has 4 PCI-e connector plugs to power both your 560ti. Make sure it is a good brand as well! I usually go with corsair, seasonic, or OCZ

System in IDLE = 201W

System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W

These are the specs for the 560ti in SLI. As you can see your GPU running SLI would draw 449w alone at full GPU usage. Add in the proccessor, ram, cd drivers, and etc and you would need 600+W to run your entire rig stably in SLI .

Thank you for the information...