Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Egypt's Interim Leader Says Won't Run For Presidency - Paper

Ron Burgundy

(Blank Headline Received)Egypt's interim head of state Adly Mansour will not run for president in elections slated for next year, a Kuwaiti newspaper on Tuesday quoted him as saying. Mansour was sworn in as interim president on July 4, a day after the Egyptian army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Mursi following mass protests against his rule. Mursi had appointed him as head of the constitutional court, but he was not sworn in as head of the court until hours before he took the oath as interim president. When asked by Kuwait's al-Seyassah newspaper whether he would run for president, Mansour said: "No... No, I will return to my office and my work at the constitutional court." Western allies have watched with dismay as the most populous Arab state stumbled on its path to democracy after a popular uprising toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

View the full article