Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Is Dota Ii Worth Getting Into?

Anthony

I'm looking for a game to get into with some friends that are really competitive in Dota II, I feel considering the fact that I have no experience in dota; that if I started off playing with someone that's very competitive in Dota I'd learn fast although I know there's a huge learning curve. I need to know if it'd be worth it or I'd just be wasting my time.

My honest suggestion is to approach Dota in the following way:

1)Do the tutorials

2)get your friends to play a bunch of bot games with you while they coach you the basic mechanics of the game

3)Read what your hero's skills do

I can't tell you how annoying it is for someone to say "what does this do?" to me when I'm trying to teach someone. I'm coaching you, not holding your hand the skill is very up front with what it does.

Other than that there are a lot of good youtube videos about basic gameplay mechanics such as creep denying, juke spots, and how to harass without taking damage from creeps as well as when you should dive a tower and when you should not.

Honestly if you want to become good at dota you have to read through the wiki

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Dota_2_Wiki

It's like the most important tool you can use for learning mechanics, and little nitpicky things about heroes. Once you get a firm stance on your own gameplay, you'll have a lot of things happen to you that'l make you say "wtf, i didn't know that did THAT much damage" or "i didn't know that went through bkb..." And that's where the wiki comes in handy.

But if you're just looking to learn how to play i can honestly go over basics with you, if you'd like. It's really easy to get attuned to when you have people that you're playing with.

• Like 1

YES. The game is so worth getting into, your entire life is put on hold just for it! Jk, anyway if you're looking to actually get into Dota 2, here are some rather long videos that teach you how to play (very basics). Note the video is 14 months old so some things may have changed, but for the most part, this will teach you the basics.

One guy that I watched a shit ton when starting is Purge, he teaches you while playing or reviewing his games on why he does things (especially his earlier videos) and why he chooses certain items over others. You can always just watch maybe one game before you get off and you'll learn a lot from him. (This is how I got to where I am)

His Youtube page is: Purge

His website is: PurgeGamers

If you have anymore questions, feel free to comment or PM me anytime. Good-luck!

• Like 2

I would have to say yes it is worth getting into that is if you have the time it takes to dedicate yourself to it. Talk to some the other people in your division and see what there thoughts of it is. Pretty sure they all agree it is well worth the time.

I would have to say yes it is worth getting into that is if you have the time it takes to dedicate yourself to it. Talk to some the other people in your division and see what there thoughts of it is. Pretty sure they all agree it is well worth the time.

Your name is contradictory.

OT: Yes. It's a great game that teaches you teamplay and strategy.

Read tutorials, watch videos,

Do the tutorials,

Practice tons in bots,

Get coaching,

And when you start playing humans, expect to lose most of your games until you learn how to play more.

The learning curve of Dota 2 is insane. It's one of the most difficult games to learn on the internet. But once you learn how to play, it gets easier, thought you will ALWAYS have learning to do.

In conclusion, YES! Play it!

I will have to agree with everyone, Dota 2 is one of the hardest games out there. But in my honest opinion its one of the most rewarding too ! I cant quite describe the feeling of having a huge comeback with your buddies or the feeling of hitting a 5 man black hole ,rp or any skill related to that. If you actually decide to get into dota 2 i suggest watching dota cinema videos. They have a playlist with ALL the hero introductions which can help out a ton ! Purge has also very educational videos and u should watch as many as u can !

Firstly start playing with bots. Get to understand the basics of the game, you didnt mention if u have any experience with other mobas but if u dont , there are a lot of things u need to get used to , like : where your hero is, where u should go in the beggining of the game how to last hit etc etc.

To conclude Dota 2 is an amazingly hard game with a huge learning curve , however when u forget about all the retards and the russians Dota 2 IS the most rewarding game i've played and the ammount of SATISFACTION it can offer is unique !

If you decide to start dota 2 you can definetely hit me up if u play in the EU or play in EU times ;)

• 3 months later...

Dota has a really high skill cap, dont worry about getting competitive. Worry about learning the ins and outs. To get competitive you their is alot more you need to learn then just heros and items. Alot of mechanics. Dota is very fun thought. I would get into it, just to have fun

• Like 1