Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Beacon Messages

acj2001

This is probably the same in any server, but I've noticed that many of the available messages which come with message beacons are widely unused and practically useless. They never leave the confines of your own HUD. Meanwhile, we can never find the right message for a potentially deadly situation without screaming it in our mics or taking the possibly limited time to type it into the chatbox.

I've had this idea for a long time, and from what I've seen nobody has said anything about this. If there is a huge flaw in this entire idea you need to point out, please point it out.

If you can't recall or simply don't know the current messages, here they are:

Meet up here

Plan B here

Barricade here

Medics here

Ammunition box here

Arsenal crate here

Defend this spot

Defend this area

Need defense here

Need turrets here

Need arsenal crates here

Need medics here

Need force fields here

Need explosives here

Buy from my crate

Do not enter!!

Don't barricade here

Don't let zombies in here

This will break

This place is dangerous!

Beware of poison!

Zombies are breaking through here!

Zombies are coming. Build a barricade!

*list may not be in same order as server

Meanwhile, this is what I have in mind for an updated list.

Strikethrough means the message has been cut

Bold means the message is new

(Italic in parentheses) mentions details and explanations for cut/new messages

Meet up here

Plan B here

Barricade here

Medics here

Ammunition box here

Arsenal crate here

Defend this spot ("Defend this area" suits nearly any location this would be used in)

Defend this area

Need defense here

Need turrets here (Though turrets are useful when there are fewer players, you aren't likely to actually require turrets, let alone get help)

Need arsenal crates here

Need medics here

Need force fields here

Need explosives here (Explosives are normally discretionary rather than team effort. Most explosives are also in limited stock, discouraging help)

Buy from my crate ("Arsenal crate here" signals a needed arsenal crate, while this message is a poor excuse for advertising)

Do not enter!! ("This place is dangerous" suits nearly every situation this would be used in)

Don't barricade here

Don't let zombies in here (Or rename this to bulletcade. If it involves a normal barricade, it is superseded by other barricade messages)

This will break

This place is dangerous!

Beware of poison!

Zombies are breaking through here!

Zombies are coming. Build a barricade!

Headcrabs can go through here (There are many moments where this would come in handy)

Objective here (This can be used to show unlabeled objectives in objective maps, or miscellaneous stuff where "Meet up here" isn't suitable)

Boss here (Bosses usually require lots of attention, and it can be hard to describe their location in maps with big houses and lots of windows)

Put props here (Useful for when humans are gathering props and need a place to put them)

Zombies are converging here ("Converging" is the best term I can find to apply to both zombies preparing for a rush and zombies focusing on a single area)

Need repairs here (This beacon is likely unneeded in a staffed doorway barricade. However, this beacon is useful in wide barricades, like a trump wall at abandoned mall, or large areas with multiple spaces and/or multiple barricades. It can also be useful for solo caders seeking help.)

Weapons here (Possibly unnecessary. After the first waves, a lot of people discard their worth menu weapons. This can be used to indicate a place to put unwanted weapons for charity purposes.)

Go this way (You may find yourself in a situation where you need to place a beacon to signal a place to go, but not a place to stay. This is very useful in objective maps, especially ones where you could recover the beacon later)

Watch this area (Can be used to remind survivors to stay alert and watch for zombies, or just to watch for an opening in an objective map. Can be considered a more universal successor to "Don't let zombies in here")

Beware of loose props! (With Magic Shade becoming a regular, this is needed more than ever.)

Meanwhile, the following are tactical messages which are closely associated with each other. All of these are possibly unnecessary.

Push out to here (But how will you even plant this at the push location if you haven't already pushed out?)

Snipe from here (Maybe towers people don't visit, or a window with a clear shot to a popular rushing spot)

This area is secure (Maybe signalling safe passages between barricades, team coordination, or escape options)

Hold this position (If it's for recading, it can be superseded by "Zombies are coming. Build a barricade!". It can probably be used effectively in objective maps.)

Keep in mind these are only my ideas. You could modify or completely ignore this list, I don't think I'd care.

Don't be afraid to share your ideas. (Please, I'm running out of them)

I had to remake half of this thread after a freak editing accident. This is not the same as when I first posted it.

Edited by acj2001
  • Like 2

Oh boy a "buy from my crate"

all the more to pointwhore right? when "arsenal crate here" is self-explanatory and is in theme with the intended zs gameplay...

Which is to say that the "arsenal crate here" was intended for maps/servers where arsenal crates, costing 50 worth, are rare and only a few are placed. In this server, the service does not change: some instances have demonstrated that arsenal crates are rarely placed and people just need a place to buy. The message beacon is for team-gameplay, not some free market advertisement by skill-less players who for some reason just cannot learn to play the game i.e. pointing and shooting correctly or learning how to cade and earning points that way.

Edited by TheAtrocity
  • Like 2

Oh boy a "buy from my crate"

all the more to pointwhore right? when "arsenal crate here" is self-explanatory and is in theme with the intended zs gameplay...

Which is to say that the "arsenal crate here" was intended for maps/servers where arsenal crates, costing 50 worth, are rare and only a few are placed. In this server, the service does not change: some instances have demonstrated that arsenal crates are rarely placed and people just need a place to buy. The message beacon is for team-gameplay, not some free market advertisement by skill-less players who for some reason just cannot learn to play the game i.e. pointing and shooting correctly or learning how to cade and earning points that way.

In all honesty, I was worried people would simply get mad and say the 'Buy from my crate' message is "essential". We all know there are people who would say this, both sarcastically and seriously. Leave it to me to make excuses like this.

Unless someone gives me a reason not to do so, I will swap the cuts and keep "Ammunition crate here" and remove "Buy from my crate".

Edited by acj2001

Now that my point is clearly across, I can relax.

I like most of your proposed changes. The unnecessary ones are situational so there's no harm in keeping them in.

Unfortunately this isn't something that'll drastically increase server skill level, cooperation, and just isn't necessary at this moment. The server has much larger issues at the moment (and has been since the great ban wave) but this is a cool idea. Hope it gets attention.

If any of these were to be implemented I say it should be "headcrabs can get in here". I cannot emphasize how useful this would be as many people always seem to be dying early on to headcrabs, which eventually result in a loss later.

For objective maps I think there should simply be a "next objective here" message, as there are already specifying on-screen notifications in these maps. So you really don't need an "explosives required here" or "battery needed here" as it's pretty redundant.

Edited by NewPueblo