Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Rog Mobo's With Sonic Radar - Approve Or Disapprove? Vac Ban?

Reaper

HG,

I am looking for opinions on the ROG motherboards being produced by ASUS. I am specifically looking at the ROG boards that include the "Sonic Radar" software. (Read more about sonic radar here: http://rog.asus.com/technology/rog-sound-innovations/sonic-radar/). I was considering buying this specific MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO, for my upcoming build. However, I have been thinking more and more about the Sonic Radar. I feel like this will be a "cheat" of sorts. This "radar" will allow you to filter out specific sounds so you can hear only footsteps, gun shots, or bomb planting. I feel like this can kill the competitiveness of the game. I also feel like this motherboard will warrant me to say that this motherboard will lead in an increasing number of ban requests for cheating and such.

I did some research on the Sonic Radar and this is what I found

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3133166

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/9/864971765364131598/

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2013/05/is-the-asus-rog-sonic-radar-a-cheat/

With that said and having read through all of it, I can understand why there is all the hate out there about having this available to everyone. I see how it can help deaf people or people who have not had the opportunity to buy a GOOD set of headphones or surround sound set-up. I can also see it helping if you can't have sound on for some reason (family watching tv, kids in bed... ect, the list is LONG).

I can also see this being utilized in addition to a good pair of headphones. This can make the good players even better. I feel that if you can hear, then use your hearing. I can see people who have perfect hearing use this to their advantage (see the steam thread for some more arguements for and against the use of sonic radar).

I guess I will get to the main point of this thread. How do we, as a reputable gaming clan, want to handle these boards? Shall we allow them on our servers? Will they cause issues? Do you see any advantages or disadvantages for utilizing this board in a gaming rig? Will it be looked down upon if a member of the clan (or several members of the clan) get these boards (definitely sounds like they are going full scale production with this added feature which would be included on driver CD included with the MOBO)?

Do you think it will be VAC banned? If it is, then how many members will have to get new steam ids and games to play again? along with a whole hardware re-build.

I want your input on this matter. Thanks

1. Who cares most people won't rush out and buy these just cause of this thing maybe 1/100 people you meet will have one of these.

2. It doesn't give that much more of an advantage over someone who has a pair of good headphones

3. I doubt VAC will do anything about it.

Edited by Weeaboo

• Executive Council

In one of those links you gave:

I see most are posting on this topic having NEVER used the program themselves and are making biased assumptions.

I have it and have tried using it. It absolutely does not give a layout of the enemies. It doesn't give a distance from which the sound occurred. It does not differentiate between friend and foe.

It uses a cone system that tells you the direction the sounds (I have never seen only one sound) come from, including your own. This is no different than a surround sound stereo for those that do not have or can not afford one.

The only people that are probably complaining that have tried it are those with great sound systems that are upset that their advantage is disappearing; and from those that don't have it, but wish they did. (or are a camper and are afraid you might actually have to ptfo.)

This is in no way the same as many of the other cheats that are out there; and should in no way deserve a ban for cheating. I could see professional tournaments disallowing it, but how many of those are there and is your server one of them? If not enjoy the game, and stop crying about your flaws instead of creating excuses to blame others.

When I first got the product I thought it to be a cheat to a degree. Now that I have used it I have found it to not function very well and be no different than your minimap except far far less useful.

So again, kids, try it before you discuss it. Your ignorance makes you ound dumb when you post...

Also:
From my experiences with it, I have never been able to actually make any sense for distance with the conal spikes that it presents. They seem to go to max no matter where they come from. I have found the the noise that my own person makes causes more spikes on the radar than anything around me.

This gives no more of an unfair advantage than the fact that my new computer is better than the vast majority out there right now. No different than someone that has a monitor with a 0 ms delay. No different than someone with a sniper button on their mouse. No different than someone with surround sound.

To even use the device requires the user to think about something in addition to what they are already seeing, so thus it doesn't do work for him (it actually may cause them to have slower reflexes, after all when I have played withI surround sound I believe I reacted to the sound faster than I do to this visual cue). It doesn't take away walls, it doesn't move the cursor, it doesn't move the avatart at different speeds.

Also, I am still waiting to see someone state that they have used this program when making posts. All of you are making ignorant comments based on hearsay; and thus should leave this discussion to people that have used it and can actually make this a discussion.

Edited by imasonaz

• Executive Council

Also, due to it being in hardware/driver, it won't be possible for it to be VAC detected. It also only uses information already available to the player, even though it may filter out *some* sounds, similar things can be done with sound mixers, and 5.1 speakers, it may give you an "advantage", but really it just provides you with a different presentation of the same information.

Its a gimmicky software that you probably will forget to turn on after 4 reboots.

Focus on the important things to a non competitive overclocker.

How easy is the bios. Whats the onboard sound like. Is it a intel brand board, newer evga, biostar or foxconn? if the answer is no to that then you are good.

A motherboard is a motherboard.

A few years ago I owned a asus m880x am3 board that could unlock 2 extra cores on my 550be. I bought a new 990fx board to try and overclock it to 4.4ghz (air record at the time) and it wouldn't even unlock 1 core. The board was 120$ more. In general they are all the same and can overclock to the same.

UEFI bios is stupid, but they force us to us them. I miss the simpler bios that don't have things like vcore change in 4 different tabs.

All these boards come with bloat ware that you will do everything speed fan and msi afterburner does 100 times better, but will look pretty and run slower.

TL;DR

Mobo rant. They are all the same. Do not buy a board based on software that is made by a hardware company. It will easily be made for free by someone else and work better.