Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Very Big On Fitness!

Trixter

I seen the hobbies tab and when fitness came up I was like "OHHHHHHH MAN!" my time to shine lol. I'm a big fitness fanatic to be honest. Of course due to me losing weight from 230 lbs to 175 lbs was a big accomplishment. But none the less I welcome anyone with insight or in need of advice for getting started whether that be Strength training, body building, toning up or down, weight loss, core endurance, etc. The list can keep on and on, but I've always been a supporter of anyone in need or in progression. All real gym rats know there's no such thing as satisfaction when your nemesis (the gym mirror) always shows ways that can be improved lol. All psychological of course but as you can see from my blabbering that I am very much into it. I'd love to hear from you guys in regards to the topic since it kinda hit at home with me on my weekly regiment of my love for the gym :devil:

• Like 2

Well it may sound a little weak but my motivation was an ex-girlfriend and every pessimistic thought that basically made me feel like I couldn't do it. I always wanted to prove my odds and everyone who thought other wise wrong. A big help was also a pre-workout. It's a big boost of energy and believe it or not it makes such a difference in the gym. Trust me, with the right thoughts, music, and a kick from the pre-workout, I'm sure motivation wouldn't be so hard obtaining. But yeah, it was a great accomplishment for me. If you ever want, just let me know your weight goals, body build wanted, and i'll help set up a diet regiment, workout regiment, and a schedule when to switch your dieting and exercises up for diet and muscle confusion. The key is consistency, it's 70% diet, 30% training, and 100% mentality. But if anything i'll always be willing to help. ;)

Hit the gym 3 days a week if I don't surf everyday (depends on the waves).

Used to just hit the gym a lot now surfing and school have taken over.

Anyways I squat 315, bench 185 and weigh 150lbs. I have issues with gaining weight due to medical stuff so putting on mass is a pain. Hit a wall on bench because of 2 shoulder reconstructions (same shoulder) and have to much stuff in my right arm to push any further.

Just trying to stay active and lift so I can surf with more endurance and strength.

Routine-just stronglifts 5x5 with added stuff here and there.

Congrats on the weightloss. What is your routine?

• Like 1

BranHorse that's pretty intense man. That training your doing is pretty similar to mine, cuz it resembles a cross fit/strength training type of field. I've also had surgery, knee surgery to be exact so I understand where ya coming from with your limitations. But to be honest anything is manageable as long as your heart is willing. For mass gain it all comes down to a simple science. Metabolism needs to be increased and consistent to keep it high. So dieting is essential, eating 5-6 times a day is mandatory for that and specifically for muscle gain and mass gain. You can easily substitute 3 out of the 6 meals with protein shakes, in particular whey protein because it's the protein that is absorbed quickest especially after a workout. My diet regiment consist of, upon awakening immediately drinking a shake of whey approximately 32 grams of protein even though the body can only process 30 grams of protein at a time unless your working out, working out allows the body to process more. Roughly 45 min to an hour later I consume a hot bowl of oatmeal, certain carbohydrates like oatmeal are essential for the body to produce energy and maintain the upkeep of the stress your admitting from the work outs and diets. Right there you banged out 2 meals out of the day. Lunch I normally eat chicken breasts even though each week or every other day is fine to substitute it with meat as long as it's lean. That alone is a great deal of protein and since it's not like a shake where it's entirely absorbed quickly, the body takes time to process it so it's a long protein intake. The same way there's muscle confusion, there's also protein confusion and diet confusion. Switching it up like this doesn't allow your body to get used to it. Therefor it will constantly have no choice but to change and adapt which works best for results. If you maintain the same routine for too long you'll hit a plateau quickly. After lunch I'll drink another shake approximately an hour to three hours later. So at this point that's 4 meals. Later on I'll hit the gym, roughly an hour and a half to two hours after the gym i'll hit the sauna for twenty minuets because it detoxes your system and while in there i'll increase my protein intake to roughly 40 grams. Reason being is because after your workout your body goes into recovery mode. Since you tore your muscles their in need of repair and water mixed with whey protein is like the perfect band-aid for reconstruction of your muscles. The sauna maintains the heat around me so any water weight and toxins are being shed quickly, especially when taking your shake it'll increase the absorption of the protein quicker since your body will be on overdrive. At this point you would be at 5 meals including the shakes. Lastly i'll have dinner which also consist of a 90% lean meat or chicken breasts. This in particular is of great importance because your body like I said before tends to break down foods a lot slower then the intake of shakes. It's important because while your sleeping afterwards your body continues to work on processing those foods, which allows the element of your metabolism to stay high and consistent which also in turn burns fat. If you took a shake before you went to sleep instead of a meal the idea would still apply but wouldn't be as effective because it's processed way quicker. This is just a general idea of what my daily diet consists of. I also between shakes and meals snack on protein bars. Reason being is because my metabolism is so high at this point it always feels like I'm hungry, but that's natural due to you increasing it. Sorry if I'm blabbing away but I'm very passionate and proud of this topic lol. None the less, workouts consist of break downs for me. Each day is a focus of two muscle groups that work together topped off with core workouts. Mondays are Pectorals and Triceps with 5 different workouts for each muscle and I finish off with a Mile run, not a jog, a run lol. Tuesdays are Back and Biceps, also 5 workouts for each, this time topped off with 10 minuets on the Elliptical. Wednesdays are shoulders and traps, 5 work outs each with a mile on the stair master. Thursdays are leg day, 5 workouts for your Quadriceps, Calf's, and Hamstrings topped off with a few miles of cycling (this varies because by this time of week your muscles are seriously sore and the leg workouts are killer so your endurance is drained). Fridays are freestyle Fridays, each Friday I alternate a muscled group I targeted during the week for extra and intensive training. Saturdays and Sundays are my rest days. Also Saturday I allow one cheat meal. Most people say "OMG cheat day is here!!!" ummmmm no....your allowed a cheat meal not an entire cheat day. That would throw your progression way off course. Essentially the cheat meal isn't for your wants as far as eating. That unhealthy meal is specifically to throw off your dieting. Hence the whole name "Diet confusion", your body get's used to what you feed it the way a car will run the way you maintain it. Basically the difference is that since your body is not used to that type of food it has to process it differently. So it can't get used to your healthy eating but it maintains the high metabolism and wont allow for the plateau effect. The workouts for my muscle groups are maintained roughly for a month to get the most out of that work out and after the month passes I switch up the workouts so I don't hit a plateau on my training. Again....sorry if I wrote an essay but I honestly take it serious and like I said I'm passionate. This method of training is great for strength conditioning, muscle gain (which would be your mass gain), and for your core build up (basically endurance). Ab work outs are thrown about the workouts majority of the week, roughly between 3-5 times. Reason being is cause Abdominal work outs build muscle but don't burn fat. Those muscles actually build pretty fast, most people don't see them because there lack of Cardio for fat burn. So basically a thin layer of fat covers your definition. Honestly if you maintain the guidelines of how I train and diet, your body will undergo a metamorphosis in 3 months which will astound you. I know from experience and plenty of times doing it. Also I forgot to mention, if your into mass and body building rather then other training's the science of that is for every pound you weigh your supposed to consume 2 grams of protein on a daily bases. Basically percentage wise, it's basically 70% diet, 30% gym, 100% heart. Sorry for the essay but if there's any other specifics let me know, I'd be more then willing to assist ;)

Edited by Trixter

Yeah I have issues with all protein shakes due to me having crohns disease. Sometimes my body just doesn't even obsorb it and will just pass it through. It also does it with alot of things I eat due to inflammation so I just eat when I can. Chronic stomach pain is shitty for keeping up with meals so I had to stop worrying about it to much 165 is as much as I can possilby weigh it seems but I fluctuate depending on if I have a flare up.

I'm not really into the whole mass/big muscle building any more. That's why I do power lifting routines as opposed to the bb stuff. Since I switch to stronglifts I have seen a major difference in functional strength as opposed to big muscles that are good at moving stuff at the gym but not actual objects or surfing ;p.

There's a guy on YouTube I follow I think his channel is called strength camp or something. I'm on my phone due to the holiday so I can't link it haha but yeah his workouts are intense and he's talks are informative and motivating