Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Starting Learning

Shaman

Hello all!

I'm Planning on starting to learn coding soon but I'm a bit stumped as to where to start. One of the ones that I am planning on learning is HTML5 and I believe I've found what appears to be a decent site. I was wondering peoples thoughts on it (http://www.w3schools.com/). To me it appears pretty decent and actually has a huge amount of info on a good deal of different languages.

The other one is the one that I am a little stumped on where to start with. I would like to learn python but don't know where to begin (yes I know of http://www.python.org) but it's a little confusing with the tutorials which is where I don't know where to start. I have some C++ books that I could start learning that on but I've been told by friends its better to start with python to get into coding.

Thoughts?

Edit: Regarding python I found a website call Codecademy that seems interesting. Has anyone heard of it or used it?

Edited by Alten_Geist

Code Academy is fantastic and it is free (it also has a lesson on HTML/CSS/PHP/ect.). I would choose that one over w3schools because it is more interactive and structured.

Excellent! I'll be starting it tonight then. It is something I've been needing to do for awhile. Esp since not knowing coding at all screws having the other knowledge (from my experience) because companies want people who can code.

Edited by Alten_Geist

if you're looking to get started in coding, start off with something like Java.

I know it's not used in anything other than...Java based apps but it's a very good language to grasp as it has near perfect similarities to languages such as C++/C# etc.

• Like 1

if you're looking to get started in coding, start off with something like Java.

I know it's not used in anything other than...Java based apps but it's a very good language to grasp as it has near perfect similarities to languages such as C++/C# etc.

I'll definitely check into it. Right now I'm looking into Python because I had an interview with a company called Transparent Languages and everything went really well but they told me that once I had some Python knowledge to reapply (Only bad thing they said about the interview). Looking at the website it would appear they have a Java one as well so will be easy to move onto that once comfy enough with Python.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Python is a great language to start with, it isn't very strict and it's not really so much the language you use either, as it is the concepts behind programming, and the easier the language the easier the concepts are to learn. Once you get the basics down it shouldn't be hard to pick up on the nuances of different languages.

Edited by Oreo

Code academy is good for webscripting and w3schools will help you out in some cases.

If you want to learn C# a must thing you need is Visual studio (2008, 2010, 2012) this site helped my out as well http://www.dotnetperls.com/

I've coded a lot of games in it like a calculator, hangman, dragrace, iTunes store (currently busy on it)

And I do use Arduino(written in C), codesys (more embedded system way)

In my opinion, Python has the easiest concept to grasp in to the world of coding

Moving on after python, I would suggest Java (as SKay said) it has a similar syntax structure to other languages

After those two, you should branch out to what you need / interests you, personally I went for C after learning Java and learning Java helped my understanding of the syntax.

good luck :]

• 2 weeks later...

I learnt coding on khan academy :)

I know my shit

Found out about Khan Academy through one of the students on my bus. Seems interesting. I have this entire week off and its going to be a healthy mix of gaming and learning (provided I don't get sucked into DayZ)

Codeacademy is great. Once you get the basics there are plenty of books you can read. If you're willing to pay udemy has some video lessons that are pretty good at explaing the basics and some more advanced stuff. Good luck, I'm not professional though I'm still learning as well.

I'm about to get back into programming myself. I started years ago with web design, and progressed into programming, but ened up having to focus more on life.

It's been a long time since I've used it, but I remember when I was learning web design http://www.w3schools.com/ was a good reference tool for me, not so much a learning tool. If I knew what I was looking for, and a basic understanding of how it worked, w3schools was useful.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well at this point I have begun learning. I am currently using Codecademy for this. I really like it so far but there are a couple of things that are really confusing to me. If you look at the picture below you'll see one of them.

e9b3ba25-5076-493d-95ae-7aa87c1d7f8d_zpsklu5truj.png

While I ended up figuring this one out it still seems like a bit of mumbo jumbo and honestly doesn't really explain the examples you use to figure out the Values that you need to set. I get that it is looking for

not False = True
not True = False
not not True = True
not not False = False
ect ect

But honestly to me the math problems in there make it make no sense lol.

NVM apparently I needed to talk it over with someone to make it make sense. now I just feel stupid lol.

Edited by Alten