Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Petition To Valve: Remove The Paid Content Of The Steam Workshop

stuv 101

Hello Everyone!

If you have Steam, you probably noticed that Skyrim mods on the Workshop have price tags on them. This is the new "support" system Valve put into the Workshop, starting with Skyrim mods.

Some of these mods run run as high as $99.99 for a house mod, or $0.29 for a mod that apparently does nothing. This system has a very high potential of damaging the Workshop Community and the Modding Community permanently if this new system isn't dealt with.

This new system is currently being fought against by a petition from the community. I respectfully request the aid of HellsGamers in fighting this new system.

I thank you for your consideration and support

[HG] stuv101

• Like 3

Update:

Due to the petitions, user feedback, and responses: Valve has removed the payment system from the Steam Workshop!!!

I want to thank everyone here who participated in helping the community and mod developers.

You guys are awesome!!!

• Like 2

I hope you all realize this isn't the end of it. They simply realized their error of introducing it into an already established game. When a new game comes out that would be properly ripe for such a scenario, it will return. And honestly, it isn't the doomsday scenario that people think it is. The error that Valve made was the pricing model offered. If they had introduced a "pay what you want" (a la Humble bundle) method for these, I think it would have been a lot better.

The fact of the matter is, there are some people who make truly amazing mods, and they deserve to make money off them. There are some Skyrim mods that are bigger than the DLC offerings.

The really troublesome scenario is mod dependency, which is something I'm sure they will try and work out with the next iteration of this project. When mods depend on one another to function, or include hooks or references to other modes in their code, it becomes a tricky issue.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone!

If you have Steam, you probably noticed that Skyrim mods on the Workshop have price tags on them. This is the new "support" system Valve put into the Workshop, starting with Skyrim mods.

Some of these mods run run as high as $99.99 for a house mod, or $0.29 for a mod that apparently does nothing. This system has a very high potential of damaging the Workshop Community and the Modding Community permanently if this new system isn't dealt with.

This new system is currently being fought against by a petition from the community. I respectfully request the aid of HellsGamers in fighting this new system.

I thank you for your consideration and support

[HG] stuv101

Tbh I use skyrim nexus to download my mods for skyrim but I totally agree with you. This is just another way valve is trying to get off with a quick buck

Update:

Due to the petitions, user feedback, and responses: Valve has removed the payment system from the Steam Workshop!!!

I want to thank everyone here who participated in helping the community and mod developers.

You guys are awesome!!!

Congrats, you just basically said to any genuine modder, mapper or add on Dev the following;

"we don't care about your livelihoods, go free or go fuck yourselves." Well done.

This whole system while not the best introduction was portrayed by salty individuals as the death of modding.

It wasn't. It isn't. It never will be.

I as well as many others who spent time effort and our loving care to better our mods, maps etc. would agree that this system if introduced correctly with a "pay what you want to pay" system would've been the best for great mods to become even greater. It would've at the very least allowed established devs like myself to gain revenue back for the time and effort onto making what we make.

Lamp pretty much nailed it on the head. Some modders do such a good job that they quite literally outclass a studio like Bethesda and almost make a new game, for FREE. These are the people who should get revenue for the truly excellent job they did producing this magnificent work.

Garrys mod is another great example. Its become quite literally the greatest invention using the source engine. Its made Garry over 10 million and has spawned so much creativity that he has MADE A COMPANY from GMOD alone. Facepunch Studios sound familiar?

Without revenue, GMOD probably wouldn't have come as far as it has now.

Just keep that in mind before you spend 60 USD on another AAA game.

Congrats, you just basically said to any genuine modder, mapper or add on Dev the following;

"we don't care about your livelihoods, go free or go fuck yourselves." Well done.

This whole system while not the best introduction was portrayed by salty individuals as the death of modding.

I as well as many others who spent time effort and our loving care to better our mods, maps etc. would agree that this system if introduced correctly with a "pay what you want to pay" system would've been the best for great mods to become even greater. It would've at the very least allowed established devs like myself to gain revenue back for the time and effort onto making what we make.

Lamp pretty much nailed it on the head. Some modders do such a good job that they quite literally outclass a studio like Bethesda and almost make a new game, for FREE. These are the people who should get revenue for the truly excellent job they did producing this magnificent work.

Garrys mod is another great example. Its become quite literally the greatest invention using the source engine. Its made Garry over 10 million and has spawned so much creativity that he has MADE A COMPANY from GMOD alone. Facepunch Studios sound familiar?

thought modders made mods because they like what they are doing.

• Like 1

While i agree with everything you said, i would also like to add that Bethesda were the ones who imposed the 75% revenue split which leaves only 25% for the modding authors, im pretty sure this was the cause of modders having exaggerated prices on even the simplest mods.

• Like 1

The system Valve presented didn't help modders what so ever; and yes, it would have been the death of modding the work shop, here's why:

1.) Modders could set whatever price they wanted for their mods.

If you take a look at my thumbnail image, there were house mods being sold for $80, that's twice as much as the legenday version of skyrim ($40). There's also an armor mod (really simple armor mod), being sold for $0.49, a similar price of that of a blue CSGO gun skin on the marketplace. There is simply not enough content to justify those price tag. We really don't need another marketplace on steam.

2.) Valve and Bethesda got 75% of their cut.

If Valve's system were really going to help mod creators, why was it taking such a huge cut? Even if someone bought that $80 house mod (who would spend $80 on a mod?), the mod owner would only get 25 dollars of that sale. For some modders, that would mean mere pennies.

3.) It would have grid locked the Workshop.

If every mod had a price tag on the Skyrim Workshop, no one would use it. Users could go to Nexus Mods, get their mods free of pay walls, and then donate at their leisure. Remember, not all PC gamers are made of money. Seriously, I can't afford paying for every individual mod like i'm on some app store or marketplace.

If Valve learned anything from this little experiment:

1.) Their system could be abused.

2.)Modders can do the math, and don't like Valve cutting %75 of their donations.

3.) The Workshop community wants a donation system, not a market system.

I do support the modding community, and do donate/ assist modders whenever i can. But I don't support forceful payment for the same mods.

Edited by stuv 101

The system Valve presented didn't help modders what so ever; and yes, it would have been the death of modding the work shop, here's why:[/size]

1.) Modders could set whatever price they wanted for their mods.

If you take a look at my thumbnail image, there were house mods being sold for $80, that's twice as much as the legenday version of skyrim ($40). There's also an armor mod (really simple armor mod), being sold for $0.49, a similar price of that of a blue CSGO gun skin on the marketplace. There is simply not enough content to justify those price tag. We really don't need another marketplace on steam.

2.) Valve and Bethesda got 75% of their cut.

If Valve's system were really going to help mod creators, why was it taking such a huge cut? Even if someone bought that $80 house mod (who would spend $80 on a mod?), the mod owner would only get 25 dollars of that sale. For some modders, that would mean mere pennies.

3.) It would have grid locked the Workshop.

If every mod had a price tag on the Skyrim Workshop, no one would use it. Users could go to Nexus Mods, get their mods free of pay walls, and then donate at their leisure. Remember, not all PC gamers are made of money. Seriously, I can't afford paying for every individual mod like i'm on some app store or marketplace.

If Valve learned anything from this little experiment:

1.) Their system could be abused.

2.)Modders can do the math, and don't like Valve cutting %75 of their donations.

3.) The Workshop community wants a donation system, not a market system.

I do support the modding community, and do donate/ assist modders whenever i can. But I don't support forceful payment for the same mods.

this font is giving me a seizure

• Like 2

In regards to the pricing model, it's just another economic model. If someone sets their mod price too high, people aren't going to buy it and the creator will not make any money, causing them to either lower their price or never sell their mod.

On the note of the cut percentages, it's mainly due to legal reasons. I'm sure that for Valve to get Bethesda to sign off on this type of thing, they needed to offer something like that. Technically speaking, modding itself can be construed as a legal gray area with some EULAs. Bethesda is loosening their hold on their IP by consenting to this kind of arrangement. I imagine that Valve's cut was mainly to insulate against the inevitable losses that will happen with a new market like that.

If the marketplace had time to mature, I'm sure the ratio would have changed.

As for the Nexus, multiple modders were either pulling their mods from the Nexus or rolling back to older updates for the "free" version. Just because someone can't afford it, doesn't mean that people shouldn't charge money for their hard work. That's the same BS argument people use in regards to musicians and artists. "I won't pay you, but you'll do it for free because you like to do it, right?"