Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Miles

My first experiment this summer is using gallium to structurally weaken an aluminum can.

(I'm going to use the scientific method for this and all future experiments. It gives me something to do.)

My question is of course "If an aluminum can is exposed to a droplet of gallium, will the aluminum can's structure weaken."

I did research and of course it does. This experiment has been done before. So I am going to instead change two things in my experiment. I have a control(aluminum can with no gallium), then Group A and Group B(can with gallium with layer of oxidation removed and can with gallium without the layer of oxidation removed). This way I can see how much scratching the surface of the can changes the rate at which gallium diffuses into the can.

My hypothesis is that the control will have no change(duh), Group A will have significantly greater structural damage than Group B(duh), and Group B will have some structural damage, but not much(duh).

I'll upload some pictures of the gallium I have + the cans with the gallium on it.

Mentos in a coke bottle = ''On It'' Badass baking soda VOLCANOES! = ''Go Away'' I see how it is, Sexist.

I was actually gonna do yours anyway.

For the first time I see this sort of bullshit on the forums and all I have to say is... Keep this up! It's actually quite interesting (at least for me) even though it's just basic chemistry

Thanks dude. I might upload a video today with moar science. :D

Edited by MeoMiles
  • Like 1