Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Problem running on new computer :O

Jadis

Hey all, I can't seem to get my SC2 working on my new install, and I figured it might be worth it to post here and see if anyone had advice.

Win7 x64

i7 3770K

ATI Radeon 5770

8 GB ram

Samsung SSD 128 GB (putting sc2 on this)

So I tried installing my the game disc. It installs fine, then downloads like 1.5 GB in updates/optimizes it or whatever, updates to 1.5.3. Takes a long time. Then I click play and the launcher closes and...... nothing happens. I view processes and SC2.exe*32 and SC2Switcher.exe are both running and not doing anything. I've waited like 30 minutes and nothing ever happens. Closing SC2.exe brings up a popup that says "An error occurred starting Starcraft II. Please try again."

I went to C:/Users/<name>/My Documents/Starcraft II/ and was going to delete everything in there, but there are no files in there (I have hidden files shown). I also went to C:/ProgramData/Blizzard Entertainment/ and the only thing in there is a Battle.net folder with no files.

I tried completely uninstalling that install and deleting all the files/folders it made (in documents/programdata) reinstalling via the game disc and the same thing happened.

Then I completely uninstalled again, downloaded the game client from Battle.net (with patches about 8 GB), then once it finished I crossed my fingers and.... SAME PROBLEM. :(

Anyone have any advice? I posted on the Battle.net forums as well. Also, it never asks me for my CD key? It asks me to activate my copy with my product key and sends me to the battle.net webpage, but when I put in my product key, it says it has already been activated. Could this be something to do with it?

Thanks. I guess I should mention other games are working fine, (Skyrim, Borderlands 2)

edit:Gah, I've Googled all that I can Google. I submitted a ticket so hopefully it'll be resolved. Feel like I've tried everything.

Edited by Jadis

Moreover, you might want to reboot your computer after you finish installing it.

THe reason why it doesn't ask you for a cd key is that you are expected to authenticate against the battle.net servers on launch. However, in preinstall, if you got it off the bnet (it will authenticate differently)

Thanks again for the help.

Rebooting didn't help, and I don't see any folder like you mentioned. There's only Agent/Client/Setup folders in the \ProgramData\Battle.net folder, and the only log file I see that is worth mentioning is

under \ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.1267\Logs and it is AgentErrors-20120921-134050527.log

Contents:

#-----------------------------------------------------------

# System started at 2012-09-21 17:40:50.5275

# system: MATT-PC

#-----------------------------------------------------------

17:41:07.5315 GameSession: Could not set the process of the pid 1232/child-pid 4692 to the foreground.

I tried setting all the exe files to run as admin (even though my account is admin and is only account in windows), and run in compatibility for win xp. no dice. I've made sure the secondary logon service is started and automatic, and I've tried a whole host of various deleting/renaming folders that some people recommend on the battle.net forums. I guess for whatever reason SC2 doesn't like my new computer. oh well :(

I had a problem installing it and it ended up being an ACL permissions issue.

Try installing it into another directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Starcraft II. I don't know if that'll help.

Next thing is create a new user account (admin) on your computer, login and initiate the installation and see if the issue persists.

Gah, those didn't work :(

Bnet responded in a very friendly manner and said the problem, according to my msinfo32, was that my network drivers are out of date and then said that new games require new drivers.....Ok.... So I tried to update them via the ASRock website (my motherboard mfgr.) but they're the latest ones and the date on them is 3/12/2012 so I don't know how he could think they were "out of date" ...?!?

So I reopened the ticket, and then a different person responded and gave me advice on how to get WoW working (involving wow files, nothing relevent for sc2). Gee, thanks guys. >_>

I'm half tempted to try reinstalling windows. I might try that as a last resort.

Eh, I dunno if anyone cares, but I reinstalled Windows, and then fully updated Windows before doing anything else. I then updated all of my drivers, including my video card drivers (XFX ATI 5770) and all other ones by using an ASRock utility to automatically update all drivers. I then installed Starcraft 2, and it had the same problem. Nothing happens after I click Play from the launcher window. I would like to mention that there are a ton of people on the bnet forums that have this problem, and while a host of solutions are offered, none of them worked for me.

I tried installing on a different hard drive. I tried installing under a different user. I tried "running under admin" and running in compatibility mode. I tried closing various processses while starting the game (like Agent.exe). All I can conclude is that there is something wrong with SC2 itself (or at least, relative to my hardware). Sucks. I hope no one else has this issue. If you do, please post. Later guys.

MOTHER FUCKING HELL YES!!!

I started thinking about any background programs I might have running, and I even did a selective startup or whatever.

Anyway, I remembered my motherboard driver CD installed a couple of different "background" programs, one was called Virtu MVP that was supposed to increase performance by utilizing both integrated graphics and discrete graphics. I disabled it and fucking SC2 runs now. Mother fucking hell yes. See you guys around :) I'm gonna try to ladder now and really improve at the game. I'm around gold league now.

Thanks Enigma for trying to help, and thanks to everyone else for reading!