Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Thoughts On Dota2

Ryan Bass

It's been 2.5 years since I'm in Dota2 with few weeks without playing it. 1300 games 1357 hours on the game. Lately most of the games are disaster, no point where I'm playing, ranked or not ranked. It might be that I just got low on rank and now getting guys in team where he dies one time and calls gg. Supports who think that they are pushers or carry.. whatever is the reason usually. But the problem I get now is that I got a feeling that it's gg for me. Game is not interesting anymore.. Lately I play all random deathmach, at least, that is fun mod on most of the times, of course if I don't get guy who starts to die before minute 1.

Even when we stuck 5 people the game is not always fun to me.. It might be just the wrong people, not getting fun with it.. I'm not sure, or maybe it's gg for games for some while. I have tried a lot of games in this month, none of them gets me interested. Playing Dayz, Arma, even tried Minecraft. Installed TF2, CS:GO... still not fun.. But ok, how about Dota2? Are you still interested in it? I even started to think about installing LOL and give it a try.

Also thinking about games, most of them that come out are about zombies or survival.. what the fu*k? Times when good games came out are gone? Or I'm getting to old and should get xbox/ps?

The only game I can play now and somehow get some fun out of it is Watch_Dogs, that's all..

The appeal to the game isn't how good every game is, but how well an individual player's capability can affect the overall outcome of the game and that how good every game CAN be.

I've been playing DotA 2 for about a year now and I still find the game appealing. (3995 hours logged as I'm typing this with about 1800 games played)

Edited by Eheroduelist

The thing about dota that makes it so fun imho is that you can always inprove and learn new things, that along with patches that can basically make you relearn the game. I feel like people stop having a fun when they stop trying to improve. I had a friend that use to play all the time and rarely plays now bc he says all his games are bad or has stupid team mates ect ect. He just stopped playing instead of trying to improve and get out of the "trench"

Just my opinion about dota is that is constantly changing, games are different, and there is always something to improve on or learn that makes it so fun for me.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing is, dota has a horrible community; and a lot of players have mixed skill.

I'm not bashing anyone 2k or anything; I know the system is extremely flawed (i.e. my main account is 3.4k but a smurf I made I easily got to 4.9k) ; but generally, about the midway point of skill brackets hovers around 2.4k; half of people are higher, the other half are lower.

Depending on what button you clicked when you started, it puts you in a similar unranked mmr

Beginner - 1000 mmr

"I have had some experience in rts/moba games" - 2000 mmr

"I am very experienced and have played many rts/moba games" - 3000 mmr

Me being an idiot, when I first started I hit beginner, and there was no way to change it, and I was stuck in trench tier for a long time. Games were boring. Some still are boring, and you just have to try and hope your teammates aren't idiots. You have to take the initiative, and try leading your team if nobody does, or if it comes to it, correcting some other idiot leading your team into death ("hey guys lets go rosh although we have no wards, and the entire enemy team that outlevels us by 5 is alive), even if it means getting reported. Sure, I sometimes get pissed at people in games and inadvertently flame them, but it's usually not to try and piss people off, but to have them fix their mistakes; soon enough they'll work to try and fix their mistakes, and then shove it in your face "ha i finally did it right, happy?", and although it leaves them pissed at you, it wins games. If people ignore you, or just don't care, your only option is to try and farm as much as possible, and whenever you see your team fighting a losing fight, whenever you see the other team go into the rosh pit and you know you can't contest it; whenever your wards show you the entire other team is farming and not carrying TP, go and start pushing, and tp out whenever someone shows up you can't kill safely. Another strategy is to just pick a complete rat or afk farming carry; although this is less effective in higher tiers, if you can afk farm for 20 minutes without being contested (which happens nonstop in lower tier games), you can easily stomp the game and move onto the next, good examples of this would be doom, furion, lycan (although not so much this patch), and even axe.

The nice thing about dota is that even if you lose, you can look back at your replays, and analyze what went wrong; should you have helped your team more; should your team have helped you more; were you being too overaggressive; did you try pushing too early; etc, and make tweaks and try again. Soon enough you'll be winning games, and get in higher tiers where people actually know what they're doing. My unranked tier on my main account is definitely higher than my ranked, and as a result there's more cooperation and communication, less bad attitudes, and more strategy.

If you keep working at it, eventually it will get better; I probably was around 700-800 wins before people in my tier consistently started carrying TP, and even in 'very high' unranked MM you still see people who don't.

In dota, it's all about the luck of the draw and the attitude of your team; if you can actually plan out strategies and communicate properly with your teammates, you have an exponentially higher chance of winning games. More won games = the higher tier you're in, and for me, at least, the higher tier you're in = the more people who actually know what's going on in the game and how to play, which equals a better quality of gameplay.

There will always be low streaks, and I know many people who have lost hope and quit, but if you persevere, eventually it will get better

• 8 months later...

In my Opinion Dota is Better than LoL. Dota is Simpler it doesnt require you to login everytime you play because its runs through steam,you have 110 characters to pick from instead of the original 40 in LoL, and the graphics are more detailed in Dota2. The graphics may be nice in LoL but they arent detailed,

Beginner - 1000 mmr

"I have had some experience in rts/moba games" - 2000 mmr

"I am very experienced and have played many rts/moba games" - 3000 mmr

If this is in fact true, it's news to me. Though that makes sense.

Edited by Arya Mad?