Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Weird Screeching/grinding Sounds While In Game

Kalron

So, I just got a GTX 760 and a 600 watt PSU for my PC. I installed it with no issue at all. My cords are nice and neat, for the most part, in the case.

Now, when I play games, I heard this weird screeching/grinding sound from my headset. This sound does not happen while tabbed out or while not playing a game.

My drivers are up to date and so is my OS.

There is no physical sound on my GPU or in my case, from what I can hear.

Any ideas what this grinding sound is from?

Attempts at fixing it:

-I have turned on V-sync, that changes the sound a bit but doesn't make it go awqay.

-I have used a headset with a usb plug. (I use a Razer Blackshark headset)

-I have cleaned my fan, No cables are touching my GPU and every connector is snug.

This might help try looking at it http://www.tomshardw...plications.html . Sorry don't have any experience in this stuff but I think that has some solutions in it. This is best solution in that thread - ''I had Palit GTX660, ASUS GTX760, ASUS GTX770 and now have Zotac GTX660. And all cards have hissing noise under load. For higher fps(1500+) they squeak. I tested Asus GTX770 in another PC with Thermaltake 700W PSU and it changed nothing.

In my PC I have 3 120mm(FDB) fans at 700-800rpm and OCZ 550W PSU with 140mm fan. And 1 Hitachi hard drive. They are all pretty silent.

And I had Gigabyte GTX660 for almost 1 year. It had problem with fan. But I didn't notice any coil whine(hissing/buzzing/squeaking noise) with it. Maybe I didn't pay attention or maybe I had fans at higher rpm. Or maybe I didn't run 1500+ fps scenes.

What am I writing it for? I think that everybody who says that his GTX660's absolutely silent has noisy system and they don't run 1500+ fps tests/games. But everybody who says that his GTX660 has coil whine has silent system or runs 1500+ apps(squeaking is much louder then hissing).''

Edited by DeathSpawn

Getting a new GPU should not be causing that sound to be coming from the Headset unless something was actually knocked about while it was being installed. Really best thing to look at would be to see if there is a software conflict with the headset drivers/Software and another piece of software. What card and drivers were you running before this started happening?

similar things have been known to happen such as having a Roccat Mouse (with software installed) and then installing the Steelseries engine (for keyboard.) which for some reason causes the mouse to stop working.

So, if I listen to my tower while I'm in game, the PSU kind of makes a similar noise to this grinding type sound and it's really quiet. Could it be that? Also, can you hear coil whine through your headset/earbuds?

I would check the PSU fan, if it is a similar sound to the grinding it could be the fan bearing. Though it might just be how the fan is setup as well.

On the second part I am pretty sure you would notice the coil whine without the headset on. do you have a second headset that you could plugin and see if it does the same thing or a pair of USB or 3.5mm jack speakers? If it is something with the sound and not headset itself I would imagine that you would hear it through any audio device.

I was using a GT 630 2gb before this. ANd I didn't know there were drivers for headsets, unless I understood you wrong. I had the most up to date driver for my old GPU before and I updated this driver to the newest one available this morning.

Yes some headsets have their own drivers/Software. Although from the sounds of it you didn't install anything for them and I'm going to guess Windows just installed its generic drivers.

Edited by Alten_Geist

dedicated or onboard soundcard?

I don't know, to be honest. I have never put one in

On the second part I am pretty sure you would notice the coil whine without the headset on. do you have a second headset that you could plugin and see if it does the same thing or a pair of USB or 3.5mm jack speakers? If it is something with the sound and not headset itself I would imagine that you would hear it through any audio device.

I had a second headset that I tried to plug in. It had a USB thing and it was still there. I used my earbuds and the sound was still there.

Would installing drivers help this issue? Where could I get them?

I don't know, to be honest. I have never put one in

I had a second headset that I tried to plug in. It had a USB thing and it was still there. I used my earbuds and the sound was still there.

Would installing drivers help this issue? Where could I get them?

If you've never installed a separate sound card then most likely you are using onboard sound. (Is this originally a prebuilt system or did you build?)

As for finding drivers usually if they have them you will find them on the manufacturers website. You can just google "Headset+Drivers" to find out if there are any. It is interesting that it is doing it with all audio devices. If it was only the front audio jacks I'd tell you to look in the case for the wire with "HD Audio" on it and reseat it, but you said it was happening with USB plugs as well. Having switched headsets/phones it is obviously not the sets themselves and something is interfering with the audio once you boot into games.

I'm still kinda leaning to there is some sort of software conflict going on. I would see if anyone else might have an idea on this.

Two things I would suggest at this point.

1. Check for Drivers

2. Pull the computer apart (Vid car, Ram, Cables etc etc) and re-seat Everything to make sure that everything is connected firmly and properly.

Edited by Alten_Geist

If you've never installed a separate sound card then most likely you are using onboard sound. (Is this originally a prebuilt system or did you build?)

This is a prebuilt system but I have put some parts in.

It is interesting that it is doing it with all audio devices. If it was only the front audio jacks I'd tell you to look in the case for the wire with "HD Audio" on it and reseat it

It does only happen witht he front audio jacks. I have five slots in the front part of my pc, audio, mic, two usbs, and then a memory card t hing for like cameras. However, if I plug my headset into the back of my computer, the sound goes away. I would just prefer to plug it into the front for ease of access.

This is a prebuilt system but I have put some parts in.

It does only happen witht he front audio jacks. I have five slots in the front part of my pc, audio, mic, two usbs, and then a memory card t hing for like cameras. However, if I plug my headset into the back of my computer, the sound goes away. I would just prefer to plug it into the front for ease of access.

Then I actually will suggest resetting the cables that are coming from the front of the computer.

I have a ax760i psu and I occ hear a high pitched buzzing (randomly happens, not like in game or anything) and Im pretty sure it's because of coil whine. If you're hearing a scratching it might be from a fan blade scraping a capacitor in the PSU or GPU but that's just a guess lol. Good luck and hopefully you get this issue resolved man!

I'm also having another issue with my computer. My case is vibrating when I have both panels on and I am playing a strenuous game. If I press on the panel that I DON'T take off to change parts or clean, the vibrations stop. Also, an interesting thing to note is that if I take off the panel that I would to change or clean parts, the vibrations also stop.

Could it be mobo fan being bad and the ventilation needs to be improved or something? If it is the latter, I can't really change the ventilation in my case other than taking a panel off, which kind of doesn't sound like the best option.