Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

College Questions

Burnt

Well recently I have been placing the thoughts of college in my head throughout my final weeks of my junior year of high-school and have been wondering some things. Grades, SAT score, and ACT score aside (although not bad) I am stuck between two college experiences. I am currently thinking of applying to CSU Long Beach, which seems like an amazing experience as it has: a great education system, a great location, a getaway from parents, and a well diverse school which I am used to. However I am also thinking of applying to CSU Sacramento, which also seems more like an amazing experience, however the area isn't amazing, and I would be living at home which I am not excited about. As far as my degree CSU Long Beach is ranked to have a better program, but I am worried about dorm life and whether or not I would like it. I am becoming increasingly excited about leaving my home, but the cost is something that worries me.

Tuition is payed for so that isn't a factor for me.

I will also be being payed roughly 1 grand per month

Roughly expense of living at CSU Long Beach ~ $1200-$1400 for room and food

Id like suggestions or experiences that you feel comfortable giving.

Tl;dr - Im stuck between moving into a dorm at a great college but having to work or staying at my house and going to semi-good college and not having to work

I got into CSULB, didn't apply to sac state because the location (boring). Ended up going to SFSU. CSULB didn't really feel like a college, more of a commuter school (UC Irvine was the worst). This means that most students live off campus so not much happens and students aren't to close. I got to a commuter school, but most students live really close to campus so it is not to bad.

What major were you considering and what is your current gpa? This is a big factor. I recommend a smaller program.

Also just wanted to add: After highschool I got into no schools (was lazy) and had no idea what I wanted to do. If this ends up being your situation don't get frustrated, just go to CC (this is what I did) get great grades and take a variety of classes. This will help you determine what you want to do major wise.

Also don't be afraid to apply to UC's. Or humbolt if you want to have a good time.

Edited by BranHorse
  • Like 1

What major were you considering and what is your current gpa?

Current GPA 3.5, majoring in computer science

Long Beach is a big commuter school, but it won't stop you from making the most out of dorming. I would also recommend CC if cost is a concern. You can then just go rent out an apartment for a couple years.

Cost is a concern but not a horrible one, my tuition is waved I am only concerned about the cost of living and if its worth it. Roughly I will be paying $300-$500 a month if I dorm at CSULB. I have thought about transfer programs from a CC but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, whether transfering to a UC or a CSU.

I'm also wondering... I want to go to Stanford because it has a good marine biology program. But at the same time it's far away from home and I'm worried about leaving my family due to issues I won't go into detail with.

if you have an opportunity to go to stanford, go for it, highly respected research university

Financially wise, community college is a great option and it lets you open up more to more choices in college and gives you a good sense of what to expect. However, if you feel confident about your motivation for work and everything, then go straight into a Cal State or UC of your choice. Of course, look up the major you want to go into and see how the college applies that to their university. Through own experience, Cal States are great and I enjoy it all the time I go there :]

Current GPA 3.5, majoring in computer science

Cost is a concern but not a horrible one, my tuition is waved I am only concerned about the cost of living and if its worth it. Roughly I will be paying $300-$500 a month if I dorm at CSULB. I have thought about transfer programs from a CC but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, whether transfering to a UC or a CSU.

You got a decent gpa if you get into a UC take the opportunity unless its uc merced, fuck that. UC Santa Cruz is a decent option for you. Lots of college students around and sick dorms and surf. Not to far from Sac to if you want to go home.

I would suggest going (or atleast looking) at sfsu and maybe sjsu, just because you will have a ton of internship opportunities in the silicon valley. The only problem is living anywhere besides the dorms in SF and SJ is expensive.

I'm also wondering... I want to go to Stanford because it has a good marine biology program. But at the same time it's far away from home and I'm worried about leaving my family due to issues I won't go into detail with.

Standford is beautiful. I do research in there geology department (I basically rent there electron scopes for my thesis) and every department is full of new everything. One of the most beautiful campuses in the world. It is stunning.

@Yui Stanford is a great school, but the cost may not be worth the slightly better program (many other universities will have programs that are far cheaper and probably far more worth the price.)

@Burnt I am a first year college student and I'm introverted by nature. I was not looking forward to the dorm life. Thinking back and giving advice, I strongly feel that you should definitely get a taste of living in a dorm either alone or with roommate(s). It's a life learning lesson, and the experiences associated with living in a dorm are forever and valuable. Definitely worth the cost. Go for it!

Edited by TheAtrocity
  • Like 1

You can go to a UC and not graduate in 4 years (for most majors). You can go to community college and transfer. But go with the school that feels like a fit. Don't do what your parents pressure you to do or what you think would please your community or whatever. Find a college for you.

Just go turbo mode like me and try finishing in three years in a UC. Just might make it with another summer session this year. Best strategy CA.

@Yui Stanford is a great school, but the cost may not be worth the slightly better program (many other universities will have programs that are far cheaper and probably far more worth the price.)

I'm not worried about the cost my mom told me at Stanford there is a program for people who make less then (?) amount of money that you get in for a really really cheap price, a price I could easily do (this program applies to me).

I am currently going to a CC and then transferring to a bigger University after GE like Karma said. I find it to be a good option because it eases you into college workload life, so when you go to a bigger University you are ready to not only do the work but be prepared to do it so you can have fun while you're in school. I've seen lots of people go straight to University just to screw up, just a thought. PM me if you want more details and what not. :)

• Like 1

Canada is always an option ;)

But based on your tl;dr, if you don't have a problem going out of your way and being friendly to others and making friends, go to a dorm. I can't emphasize how much going to dorms in my 1st year helped me ease into the environment of uni/college... it allowed me to make friends (all of whom I still keep in touch with) in minutes. If you're easy going and very open-minded, you'll fit in with the life style there and it will make it that much better. I know people who are very timid/shy and did not make the best of their time at dorms and now looking at them (I'm in 3rd year now), they struggle to find a group of people they hang out with and they regret their decision very much.

Of course, this is not to say if you don't go to a dorm you're fucked, it just means you'll have to put in more effort to meet people. The only way to make friends at my school is through group projects, dorms, or clubs, due to the sheer size of the institution. But like I said, you'll have to put a lot more effort to meet people (like clubs!).

Now discussing about the financial issue, I'm not sure if you know people at the places you're going to, but some programs are very work-intense. This means that a lot of your spare time will be allocated to studying the material for your courses, at my school they say that for every hour of class you have, you should spend 3 hours doing problems/learning new material/etc... . This means that time management is the most crucial asset you can have. Without managing your time, you can be playing jailbreak for hours and then forget about your algorithms assignment (def. did not happen to me :rolleyes:) and it'll put a toll on your GPA. If you do get a job while you're in school, be prepared to disappear for a while with your social life, but those with good time management skills shouldn't fret.

At my school there's a saying... Marks, Social life, Sleep. Choose 2.

Oh, and go to fucking orientation or whatever it's called in the States, so many DTF girls, so many people you can meet who are just as dumb as you are (make friends with dealers, you'll thank me when your hot friend wants something)

• Like 1

You should have gotten better grades in high school and you wouldn't have had a money issue...

r u serious

Being completely serious, not every school just hands out money because you got a 4.0 throughout high school. Money not being an issue in college only happens if you're rich because you'll need a lot of scholarships in order to cover tuition, housing, meal plan, books, and fees from the university. A lot of people from my high school including myself were giving free tuition if you keep a certain GPA and do volunteer hours, the problem with the scholarship is that it only substitutes the amount left on your tuition and you can't transfer it towards books, housing, meal plan, or fees, leaving people like myself with $12k in loans the first semester. If you want a full ride, completely covered, you need 32+ ACT scores and ~2100ish on the SAT, and getting into a well known university as universities like Harvard or Princeton are more likely to give you more financial aid rather than a public/state university.

I'm not worried about the cost my mom told me at Stanford there is a program for people who make less then (?) amount of money that you get in for a really really cheap price, a price I could easily do (this program applies to me).

They make you're tuition free IF you complete your degree, keep a certain gpa and your house hold must make less then 77k a year (last I heard).

And I disagree with whoever said a degree from standford isn't worth it in the long run. Most of my Professors went there and that piece of paper you'll get after 4 years will get you a great job (as long as it is not a lame major).

r u serious

Being completely serious, not every school just hands out money because you got a 4.0 throughout high school. Money not being an issue in college only happens if you're rich because you'll need a lot of scholarships in order to cover tuition, housing, meal plan, books, and fees from the university. A lot of people from my high school including myself were giving free tuition if you keep a certain GPA and do volunteer hours, the problem with the scholarship is that it only substitutes the amount left on your tuition and you can't transfer it towards books, housing, meal plan, or fees, leaving people like myself with $12k in loans the first semester. If you want a full ride, completely covered, you need 32+ ACT scores and ~2100ish on the SAT, and getting into a well known university as universities like Harvard or Princeton are more likely to give you more financial aid rather than a public/state university.

Yup I know that you just described my test scores.