Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

An Open Letter To Leadership Regarding The Perp Server

Magic

Well written, and I agree with many of your points. The problem, as it stands now, is we are a bit lacking in the development department. Mappers and modders are in short supply for us right now, and the server is a big time investment.

I'm honestly not sure of the specifics regarding it, as GMod is not one of our divisions I'm active in other than as a general counsel.

However, the revival of PERP is on our list, and it's something you will see us addressing at some point in the future.

All I can do here is paraphrase Blizzard here and offer up a...soonâ„¢.

Well written, and I agree with many of your points. The problem, as it stands now, is we are a bit lacking in the development department. Mappers and modders are in short supply for us right now, and the server is a big time investment.

I'm honestly not sure of the specifics regarding it, as GMod is not one of our divisions I'm active in other than as a general counsel.

However, the revival of PERP is on our list, and it's something you will see us addressing at some point in the future.

All I can do here is paraphrase Blizzard here and offer up a...soonâ„¢.

soon-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2228.jpg
  • Like 1

soonâ„¢.

This is where someone makes a thread with suggestions (one that isnt as outdated as January 2013) they would have liked to see in perp to better benefit this "custom/new" experience they want. This would also help gmod leadership see what the community wants instead of some pizza delivery job idea that I can give them :)

• Executive Council

The PERP server has no legal issues associated with it.

As far as the reason why its not heavily updated is due to multiple issues. PERP, in its original code, is designed for a much older version of GMod. Patch after patch has been applied over to years to keep it working. PERP was also made by someone who was slightly new at coding. As such there are multiple issues there. So the code needs to be completely redone. It also didn't help that Garry cut the download table in half forcing us to rely on unstable Workshop stuff.

There is also the economy. Its based around the idea of drug selling for the most part. Hide in a house, make drugs, sell drugs to the drug dealer behind apartments, repeat. The only "spice" is the threats of raids, mainly by other gangs since generally the police are handicapped. And generally can only go in when there is already fighting or a fire. This leaves a lackluster gameplay. I have several ideas to implement that would change the gameplay. However, those changes have requirements.

Then there is the map. EvoCity has a crappy map (no offense to the creator). There are no proper sidewalks for a majority of the map. The tunnels are horridus and were obviously placed for visleafs. The ground type is wrong in several areas (lake area is considered concrete, etc). There is a tremendous lack of space for people to buy into. And there is also the lack of a navmesh. I need a proper navmesh.

In all though, the biggest impediment to a revival of the server is the map. So if you know a mapper or are a mapper yourself please apply to the mapping team and help build the server a proper map.

• Like 3

The PERP server has no legal issues associated with it.

As far as the reason why its not heavily updated is due to multiple issues. PERP, in its original code, is designed for a much older version of GMod. Patch after patch has been applied over to years to keep it working. PERP was also made by someone who was slightly new at coding. As such there are multiple issues there. So the code needs to be completely redone. It also didn't help that Garry cut the download table in half forcing us to rely on unstable Workshop stuff.

There is also the economy. Its based around the idea of drug selling for the most part. Hide in a house, make drugs, sell drugs to the drug dealer behind apartments, repeat. The only "spice" is the threats of raids, mainly by other gangs since generally the police are handicapped. And generally can only go in when there is already fighting or a fire. This leaves a lackluster gameplay. I have several ideas to implement that would change the gameplay. However, those changes have requirements.

Then there is the map. EvoCity has a crappy map (no offense to the creator). There are no proper sidewalks for a majority of the map. The tunnels are horridus and were obviously placed for visleafs. The ground type is wrong in several areas (lake area is considered concrete, etc). There is a tremendous lack of space for people to buy into. And there is also the lack of a navmesh. I need a proper navmesh.

In all though, the biggest impediment to a revival of the server is the map. So if you know a mapper or are a mapper yourself please apply to the mapping team and help build the server a proper map.

I'm sorry, but are you referring to the current EvoCity map we use on the server or the one in development?

Hell, I remember as a member of the community having to wait for slots to be open to get into the server.

OoooooooOOOOO The good times man.

, "We have plans for the server" or "We're working on it",

These phrases are the most disgusting shit that are constantly said, especially within the gmod division (no offense). I hate them because they provide no information on whats going on, and because they're almost all talk with little intentions.

Great letter magic, killing it like always ;).

• Like 1