Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

An Open Letter To Leadership Regarding The Perp Server

Magic

Not to mention we seem to have bad luck with recruiting people with the skill sets we need to go faster who also aren't mentally broken in some way.

That's why you have me :P If a potato can map, anyone can.

No but seriously Weeman sums it up pretty well in most aspects.

Quite literally 99.99999999999999999999999% of us would agree with what Magic posted and the feeling is mutual, taking this legitimate and very well thought of concern for use to bash us as leadership and the dev team behind it including myself is quite frankly unfair and uncalled for.

I myself will admit that I have a life full of obstacles that I need to cross regularly, such as college etc. and I make sure HG gets the time it deserves from my mapping corner, but I've had to sacrifice quite a lot of my own spare time and some of my work time to make sure shit was done and is done.

I'd call and plead just to give us some slack. We're not supermen, we have lives of our own to live and it's a tall order asking us to develop a gamemode from scratch, a new map from scratch and make sure it's up to the very high standards that are expected of us from the community and the gaming community at large that visit our servers.

• Like 1

I'd call and plead just to give us some slack. We're not supermen, we have lives of our own to live and it's a tall order asking us to develop a gamemode from scratch, a new map from scratch and make sure it's up to the very high standards that are expected of us from the community and the gaming community at large that visit our servers.

No one is asking to develop a gamemode from scratch? I remember back around when i left hg (about a year and a half ago), there were meetings and plans for you guys to start making a new map. Can we see ANY progress to that? I think everyone here understands and sympathizes with the need for a social life and what have you, but after so long you have to think ; well maybe we should find someone else to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember quite a few things attributing to the server's fall off so I apologize if I seem a bit peeved that there is a significant amount of "IT'S ALL THE CODERS AND LEADERSHIP FAULT" in this thread. I have a distinct recollection of quite a few of complaints about the favoritism nature that arose out of a lot of leadership getting involved in the gamemode and creating their own gangs and admins were getting caught abusing for their own benefit or ghosting or metagaming and what not.

Well as you, yourself are saying. if the people who were in charge of perp weren't handling it correctly and were abusing, and ghosting and what not, how can you honestly blame anyone for being upset and not wanting to play it anymore. Seems like a perfectly valid reason to quit after super admins are raiding with god mode on, don't you think?

Edited by Cookie

Well as you, yourself are saying. if the people who were in charge of perp weren't handling it correctly and were abusing, and ghosting and what not, how can you honestly blame anyone for being upset and not wanting to play it anymore. Seems like a perfectly valid reason to quit after super admins are raiding with god mode on, don't you think?

These people are no longer in charge the last I checked and were only part of the problem.

Incasur put it best to be honest, a good portion of the players killed each others' interest off as well but just being assholes without breaking any rules.

These people are no longer in charge the last I checked and were only part of the problem.

Incasur put it best to be honest, a good portion of the players killed each others' interest off as well but just being assholes without breaking any rules.

I don't agree, and honestly I cannot think of one loophole as you are saying. Can you tell me one? There were MANY MANY rules that were put into place that i felt were arbitrary and sorta like when you would go over to the fat kids house to play basketball, each time you score ; oh new rule. A lot of those rules just added randomly without the communities imput really alienated them. I really think that the rules should be rewritten and not just with 1 or the 4 leadership members but with the whoever would actually play perp, because honestly its stupid to try to force people to rp when no one ever wanted to (a.g you cant walk across that fence because its impossible in real life)

Edited by Cookie

I'm honestly surprised you can't think of one instance in the entirety of that servers life where it was just an "asshole thing to do." How many times were raids conducting on the same groups of people over and over because they just didn't like the group of people when they had nothing and their only intention was to upset and piss the person off?

And maybe if you didn't go to the fat kids house and shove him into the ground there wouldn't have to be someone that goes "yea okay you can't shove people."

Rules kept being added because of the loopholes I am talking about, "Oh it wasn't in the rules that I couldn't continuously raid the person before they even got setup."

"How was I supposed to know it's not okay to firebomb the bank constantly"

"Wow you're going to ban me because I blocked the guy in I don't see any rule where it says I can't do that."

How many times were raids conducting on the same groups of people over and over because they just didn't like the group of people when they had nothing and their only intention was to upset and piss the person off?

"How was I supposed to know it's not okay to firebomb the bank constantly"

"Wow you're going to ban me because I blocked the guy in I don't see any rule where it says I can't do that."

These all are already against the rules and has been for quite some time. So I still can't think of anything where it's not against the rules but just an asshole thing to do.

I don't really know for certain but it seems to me as an active player in the server for many years the additions of those rules really didn't make people wanting to come back to the fat kids house, I mean why not the kid across the street isn't so anal and his dad bought him the deluxe version.

These all are already against the rules and has been for quite some time. So I still can't think of anything where it's not against the rules but just an asshole thing to do.

I don't really know for certain but it seems to me as an active player in the server for many years the additions of those rules really didn't make people wanting to come back to the fat kids house, I mean why not the kid across the street isn't so anal and his dad bought him the deluxe version.

Eventually the rules kept getting added and no one wanted to play yea. But I've just explained to you why the rules kept getting added. and no the raiding this was not an initial rule. I specifically remember when we had to add the "You are not allowed to return to the same person for 10 minutes" because it was such a big deal.

• Executive Council

Ok, maybe that was a little bit uncalled for. But the fact that you use navmesh as an excuse to not update a server that has been desperate for updates for about 2-3 years makes me sad.

For anyone that doesnt know, navmesh is short for Navigation Mesh which represents the where bots and AI can walk, its used in css and csgo for bots and shouldn't even be relevant at this point since its literally just used by bots.

I miss HG perp too, magic :/

As I've pointed out many times already in this thread the navmesh is important. Because simply adding more cars or items will not help the server. It needs some alterations to the game play itself. Particularly the economy and the way things are done. Bots are going to be important to changing that.

• Like 1

Eventually the rules kept getting added and no one wanted to play yea. But I've just explained to you why the rules kept getting added. and no the raiding this was not an initial rule. I specifically remember when we had to add the "You are not allowed to return to the same person for 10 minutes" because it was such a big deal.

Yea I do know why the rules do get added, but there isn't any real 'oh that was a dick move but not against the rule' sorta thing anymore, So I do still feel that in the long run the new rules that prevent more freedoms in the server have done more harm then good to the player base and should be looked over as a whole by the community.

As I've pointed out many times already in this thread the navmesh is important. Because simply adding more cars or items will not help the server. It needs some alterations to the game play itself. Particularly the economy and the way things are done. Bots are going to be important to changing that.

No matter what, there needs to be more cars and items right? Like even if you get this navmesh, there still is going to be added cars and items right? So why not add the cars and items like everyone's been asking for, because as it sits just waiting for a navmesh before doing anything seems kinda pointless.

Why exactly is navmesh even important? What does it add to the gameplay, If it is seriously just npcs that walk around that is honestly really fucking pointless.

• Executive Council

No matter what, there needs to be more cars and items right? Like even if you get this navmesh, there still is going to be added cars and items right? So why not add the cars and items like everyone's been asking for, because as it sits just waiting for a navmesh before doing anything seems kinda pointless.

Why exactly is navmesh even important? What does it add to the gameplay, If it is seriously just npcs that walk around that is honestly really fucking pointless.

No. We've done that before and it doesn't help the server population. As it doesn't change what is fundamentally wrong and why people stopped playing in the first place. If I were to add a 100mil car would that really change anything? Would that really help the server? No, it wouldn't. Weeman covered what the problem is very well. With the way the game play is now those problems would just continue.

• Like 1

No. We've done that before and it doesn't help the server population. As it doesn't change what is fundamentally wrong and why people stopped playing in the first place. If I were to add a 100mil car would that really change anything? Would that really help the server? No, it wouldn't. Weeman covered what the problem is very well. With the way the game play is now those problems would just continue.

People stopped playing because of

1- poor leadership (somewhat fixed)

2- no updates ; After someone grinds and gets a 100 mil there's nothing left for them to do but wait every 30 minutes to raid

3- rule changes that alienated the server.

Obviously adding new cars wouldn't draw people into the server as only a stable population will do that so to get the population up and keep it there:

• You fix the rules of perp that no one originally liked and many people left because of
  • Remove leadership that do not want to take any part in the revival of perp (there are 6 gmod staff right now and none of them are ever in perp or trying to get people in the server) Add the right people. No one is going to play in a server that is just chaos, if we can get 5 - 6 people in there and not one staff will come in, that looks pretty bad.
  • I know the whole do an event > instant stable population is wrong, but I truly feel if you guys ran a few QUALITY events in a short time period, people will come back and will fall back in love with the game mode.
  • Add more shit to the server to get people to stick around; guns, items, cars.

After there's a solid 10+ people in the server with active admins, new players will come. This is clearly quite the daunting task and I've told _impakt that I would be willing to rejoin hg if he needed help repopulating the server, and help with the events and what not, because I am a selfish person and I want a populated perp for my own enjoyment and would gladly take hours out of my day to make that happen, but my offer was rejected. So this is my last post in this thread as well.

• Like 1

You're welcome to believe it was the rules that made everyone leave but from what I gathered between why I stopped playing and the many friends I played on the server with as well as other random people, they stopped playing because everyone was acting like an asshole to each other.

There has been enough pointing fingers in this thread, the server died due to multiple events. Moving forward.. We do have good news coming soon for gmod, so lets just leave it at that.

• Like 10