Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Urgent Help

TheAtrocity

It's been quite awhile since this started but I'm getting fed up with it.

I'm literally taking upwards of 10 minutes to load into the server. I tend to stall at "Workshop complete" and "Loading Client Info". At Loading client info, I typically stall twice. This is absolutely ridiculous. Any solutions? I've verified cache, uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted all irrelevant addons, and lowered my settings.

• Like 1

Typically, you want to make sure your connection is stable. If you are using Wi-Fi and your connection drops, Gmod will take a while to reconnect. A way to potentially reduce the strain on your bandwidth is to subscribe to: 1. Zombie Survival gamemode 2. HG server content. Because these download anyways when trying to connect. These commands help with in-game ping, but might help with connection, though i doubt it:

cl_cmdrate 40

cl_interp 0

cl_interp_ratio 2

cl_lagcompensation 1

cl_pred_optimize 2

cl_smooth 0

cl_smoothtime 0.01

cl_updaterate 40

rate 35000

But, like I said earlier, you need to make sure you have a stable connection. If your workplace/uni has an IT department, you can ask them to run wireshark or other networking tools to make sure your network card is working correctly. Alternatively, you can use bandwidth-shaping tools, but results aren't always guaranteed.

Edited by BraillingLogic
  • Like 1

Ok, so by the sounds of it, you could be having one of two problems:

1. What Face Guy said. If you run off Wi-Fi or a wireless signal, you are not going to have a good time, especially if there is wireless interference within your household (and if people use their phones on a constant basis, you will have problems). My biggest thing here (and this goes for anyone), if you want the best experience from your internet (speed and accessibility wise) I suggest you spend some money on a Cat 5e ethernet cable. With this if you ARE using a wired connection, try talking to your ISP and see what your rates are, if you are throttled at any point during the day for going over your allotted limit or what could be done to increase your internet productivity.

2. This is kind of my problem as well. Check your storage device (HDD, SSD, External) and see how much space is being used up, how quickly the system can access files on said drive and check the RPM of said device to see if there's any upgrades you could make to it. This does cost you a pretty good amount to get a decently big SSD but if you get a 256 GB SSD with a 1 TB HDD, you can put Windows on your SSD and Steam/your other apps on your HDD which should decrease the time that it takes for your system to open up Steam/GMod/other apps. Once you get past downloading addons and downloading from the Workshop, it turns into how fast or slow your machine reads the files on your drive, being that the faster it gets to said files and reads them the quicker your game loads up. Just my two cents. (Don't be an idiot and buy a huge SSD/put all of your apps and games on your SSD. It's not going to help them with graphics or run smoother, it only helps them load quicker.)

With this, you also have to realize that GMod is a very, VERY old game. It wasn't meant to be run at the speeds that games run at now and optimizing it is nigh impossible with the technology that we have today. Sometimes, you just have to bear with it and hope that Garry can make a "better suited" game for the current world.

When you delete Garry's Mod you have to make sure you physically go into your steam folder afterword and remove the entire Garry's Mod folder, then re-download the game. If that doesn't work go ahead and post on the support site: https://facepunch.co...splay.php?f=16.

It looks like this actually sped up the loading process the most! Thanks!

I literally deleted over 102,000 files, not sure where those came from. Totaled over 60GB but looks like that was the source of the problem.

It looks like this actually sped up the loading process the most! Thanks!

I literally deleted over 102,000 files, not sure where those came from. Totaled over 60GB but looks like that was the source of the problem.

Glad to hear it, steam likes to try and keep some stuff in-case you want to reinstall the game.

• Like 1